What if... CS was never invented?

Reaction score
What do you think the modding scene would be like? Would there have been an HL2? Maybe HL2 would've come out much earlier and Steam never even created? Would other games like Splinter Cell even release mapping tools.

I'm not a fan of CS and I don't play CS:S, but I guess it's success has had a positive impact on modding.

I'm not sure why you want to know this, but I was bored so I thought I'd post something.

meh i'd be fine with 1.6 because it's leeeeettt

Yeah, but what if CS had never been created altogether? Meaning no 1.6, no 1.5, no 1.4 or anything before. Like if the CS team just though "meh, we can't be bothered making this", then went and ate some hotdogs instead.

Well, the modding scene would still be here, just in a different direction. I mean, there'd still be modding; the human urge to create something, as well as destroy it, is still there.

Yeah, there would still be plenty of mods but the modding community probably wouldn't be nearly as big. CS had a huge impact on the modding community. I think most modders set out hoping thier mod will be as big in popularity as CS. It was/is the mod of mods :farmer:

beam said:
Yeah, there would still be plenty of mods but the modding community probably wouldn't be nearly as big. CS had a huge impact on the modding community. I think most modders set out hoping thier mod will be as big in popularity as CS. It was/is the mod of mods :farmer:

I'd have to agree.

CS and HL are the standards for modding.

If CS was never around, I'd be playing TFC right now.

I am playing TFC right now.

it would be AWESOME if it never existed. then maybe there would be more original mods....

CreamOfetus said:
it would be AWESOME if it never existed. then maybe there would be more original mods....

Your name is revolting.

CS? 1.6? I've never HEARD of these propopsteroius Ideas! A game where you BUY your weapons? PFFT, I've thought off better ways to shit then that! IT'LL NEVER WORK!!!

[/sarcasmness]

*EDIT*
Q_onfused said:
Your name is revolting.

I liked his name...gave me a chuckle

I think something esle would take its place as the king, (maybe not as big of a title)

If CS was never invented, then Day of Defeat or Natural Selection would be the heavy hitters. They're both great mods but CS destroyed them in popularity.

Maybe I'd do something usefull in the evenings... Just a thought.

Umm... A great game would be gone out of my life, a game that changed my life forever, and actually stopped me from cheating the first day I got it, and showed me "Skill". Got rid of map hacking habits for Sc, learned not to cheat on consoles.

Really opened my eyes up :).

I think that Natural Selection and Day of Defeat + other mods would have gotten to the top. CS (as said before) really dominated mods. I think many people though all mods would turn out with the graphics and gameplay of CS. The only other that lived up to that IMHO was NS.

If the guy that "invented" CS didn't invent it, someone else would have invented atleast something similar. I mean, maybe there are GREAT games that haven't been invented right now, if you know what I mean lol.

If it wasn't invented we would all be playing HL2DM or Mounter-Drike: Smorse

Danimal said:
If it wasn't invented we would all be playing HL2DM or Mounter-Drike: Smorse
/me laughs... Then realises how sad he is...

Most likely we would have been playing Team Fortress 2 the last five years. It's a known fact that Valve put that on ice when they realised everyone was playing Counter-Strike.

Would be pure speculation which is useless... but in my mind, if there would not have been a different mod to keep the sales of HL up to par, HL2 may not have been as sphisticated as it is today. Perhaps Valve would not have developed VAC or have been so close to the modding community.
Personell of Valve would be different as well...

Do not underestimate what Counter-Strike has done for Valve, HL, HL2 and the modding community. The success of CS is huge. No other mod has or will draw as much players as CS has. Even when CS was still a mod, it had more players online, at any given time, than Quake3, Unreal and other online games combined.

if cs didn't excisted i would still have a life,. . err, . .no wait *hugs UT2k4*

If CS was never invented, then WON may still be alive, and TFC would still rule supreme.

What if....half life was never created? what if wolfenstien was never made? what if Bill Gates got laid in his younger years?

>>FrEnZy<< said:
Bill Gates got laid in his younger years?
Thats just nonsence, in the middle ages you would have been hung for speaking that sort of crazy talk!

Anyway, I would just be playing something else that someone would have imagined up :)

Natural Selection and Day of Defeat would have filled in the gap CS left for a little bit.

+ we wouldn't have Jess Cliffe posting as a Valve-member on these forums :p

This thread wouldn't be bumped despite the fact it's over a month old.

StardogChampion said:
What if... CS was never invented

Do you make a habit of asking rhetorical questions? :LOL:

I'll join you!!!! YAY!

What if we all die tomorrow?

What if computers never existed?

What if the sky was red?

Sorry, but obviously, when you use logic and common sense this seems a bit dumb: "What if CS was never invented?"... then it was never invented. :rolling:

-michele

StardogChampion said:
Yeah, but what if CS had never been created altogether? Meaning no 1.6, no 1.5, no 1.4 or anything before. Like if the CS team just though "meh, we can't be bothered making this", then went and ate some hotdogs instead.
Would of been happy just playing TFC 1.5 with the HPB bot by Botman. :)

Back