What is the best video card for half life 2?

T

Tim W

Currently, i have a NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400.

I this a good video card?

If no, can someone advise me a better one, because i dont know which video cards are the best.

Pls help me.

You'll probably can do fine with a radeon 9600 or 9800, if u want the best go with gf 6800 ultra or a radeon x800.

Probably bare minimum for all eye candy turned on at 1024x768 with reasonable frame rates is a Radeon 9600XT or GeForce 5700. Of course, the rest of your computer matters just as much.

myself, i'm going all the way, either a x800 or 6800 ultra, though i can't decide which 1.

To answer your direct question "What is the best video card for half life 2?" I would have to say the ATI Radeon X800XT PE.
It says on the box;

Half-Life 2
PREFERRED
GRAPHICS

hey incoming u got CI T7700?, how u like em? actually the 6800 ultra tested slightly faster the the x800 xt PE.

OK people...........What is the best OVERALL graphics card ?

If you want the VERY best card for HL2, the it's the X800XT PE all the way.

However, if you wish to get essentially the same quality then I would say save some money and go with the 9800XT. That card should last you until the NEXT generation of cards comes along in the fall and/or early spring. From what I understand, the next iteration will have 512mb of RAM (and probably PS3.0 which the current X800 series does not have) - the question is if it will be PCI-E exclusively or if there will be AGP support. Even if it's PCI-E exclusively, you will have a somewhat drop in price for the X800XT PE as supply would have caught up with demand.

For example, Merc was playing HL2 at (what I assume) was full, high-quality graphics and when we asked what card was in the machine, it was a 9800 Pro.

best video card is the X800 pto/XT

under 9800 is not good :frown:

A 9800 pro is more than enough. Assuming the rest of your system is good as well.

Tim W said:
Currently, i have a NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400.

I this a good video card?

If no, can someone advise me a better one, because i dont know which video cards are the best.

Pls help me.

Hey i have that gpu!!! Had some good times me an' the ol' GF2, but it's not installed anymore. To really enjoy HL2 at a decent cost, go with something near the Radeon9600xt, or even better a Radeon9800.

Impulse147 said:
hey incoming u got CI T7700?, how u like em? actually the 6800 ultra tested slightly faster the the x800 xt PE.

=) I'm not arguing about Radeon or Nvidia for Half-Life 2. It just said "Half-Life 2 Preferred Graphics" on the box. I'm not saying that Nvidia's will show black and white picture with blocky characters.

/ The t7700 kicks some serious behinds ! They are great for maximizing the experience of 3D/EAX3/DOLBY SURROUND games, equally impressive for watching DVD-movies (watching LOTR 1 and 2 on my 21" FP, with the sound flying 'round my head - oooohhh man) and music listening is just as good too.

You would NOT regret buying 'em if audio is an important factor for you with everything you do/watch !

Basically don't buy anything with MX in the title.

Best bang-for-your buck would be a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, $206 at www.newegg.com then you can buy the VGA Silencer cooler for $16 bucks then flash it to an XT, you just saved yourself $100-200 bucks.

Will the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 be enough to see at least some goodies in HL2?

hl2 seems to be best handled by the ati cards... so i'm guessing a 9800pro/xt or x800 if you have the mney

lol

Well, personally I would recomend the 9800 pro. I love it. Its just fantastic. I have not had a slow down on any game to date. :)

Some_God said:
Will the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 be enough to see at least some goodies in HL2?
yup, i've got a Geforce 4 ti 4200 128 mb i i'm pretty sure that it's going to work good on hl2 [SARCASM]if you know what i mean ;)[/SARCASM]

Will My 9700 Struggle ?!!! I thought it might be ok :( until i read this thread.

lol, the 9700 will do just fine mate. Seriously, it will look positively brilliant!!! :thumbs:

Its 9700Pro.

Ive got a
AMD 2600+
1GB Ram
120 GB
9700Pro

I couldn't get anywhere near High graphics In Far Cry though. I think something is up with it.

nah, farcry doesnt serve as example, as crytek is one of the worst engines out there... trust me on this one, but you could try and tone the lightning down..that did the trick for my fx5600, although it is well known that these fx have serious issues with non optimized lightning code

only thing that doesnt make me freak out is that i know this fx5600 will run great with doom3.. it seems they spent a lot of time optimizing the game... ah well, as long as i get 30fps in all medium (wich i will) i'm good with myself

Even though i have a pretty high-end system im going to terminate all of the programs except HL2 to make sure it runs even faster. I wish i knew how to over-clock my graphics card. 9800XT.

I was thinking about getting a 9800pro just because...
But I'll stick with what ive got. Im not a rich man so it will have to do. :)

*coughs ANY DONATOINS WELCOME coughs*

Impulse147 said:

I dont trust Nvidia cards anymore. They cheated on their benchmark, to get higher speeds than the 9800xt. It was all over the internet news, and TechTV.
Thats why i baught the 9800xt 256MB. Plus im getting a free copy of HL2.

Yeah. LoL, I have a P4 3.0E, Radeon 9800 Pro, 1Gb ram and I was worrying, until I read the minimum requirements, then I burst out laughing, then when I found out the videos where running on a P4 2.8, Radeon 9800 Pro, 1 GB Ram I was like.....holy tacos!!

songwriter said:
Its 9700Pro.

Ive got a
AMD 2600+
1GB Ram
120 GB
9700Pro

I couldn't get anywhere near High graphics In Far Cry though. I think something is up with it.

My brother has a

P4 3 GHz
768 mb ram
80 GB HDD
spphaire 9600xt (not overclocked -anymore)

and he plays far cry on high @ 1024x768

Sigh ... y'all put my pIII 677 w/ 128 SDRAM, TNT2Ultra(32Mb) and 15Gb HD to shame ...

I guess I'll head out to the nearest lan center and waste a shitload of money by the time i finish the single player .... or lock my friend out of his house so i can play through the game heh.

I am very sick of people praising ATI just because valve uses it for it's E3 demos and such. IF YOU PEOPLE ACTUALLY CHECKED THE BENCHMARKS, for the Nvidia 6800 and the ATI x800, you would actually see that the Nvidia card has the more advanced GPU and is a more stable card than ATI. DO NOT judge how good a graphics card is just because one company uses it.

I dont lol..

I judge it because I own a 9800 pro and I have friends who own nvidia cards that cost the same or similar ammounts of money... but cant run on even half the gfx I can :p

OMG Just cuz one of nvidias card is "better" than one of Ati's means they are better, omg we should all throw away our Ati's and buy nvidias OMG OMG OMG OMG

In this current generation of cards (X800/6800), I would give the edge to Nvidia. The X800 series seems a more "evolutionary" step over the 9800 series whereas the 6800 seems more "revolutionary".

The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either card - they will give you superb performance on both HL2 and D3.

Back