what kind of bosses?

giller_ste

Reaction score
i dont know if this has been discussed before, but in hl1 we had the tentacles, gonarch (sp?) and others and i was wondering what sort of bosses you would expect to see in hl2, from what i have seen so far i cant really tell, apart from the fact it could be a super-strider or maybe an ant lion queen or possibly hand to hand combat with breen at the end lol

what are you ideas / hopes for the kind of bosses you would like to see in hl2? :monkee:

an interdimensional big headcrab would do it :D

Or an interdimensional headcrab with tentacles, and a big giant brain that transports you to a parallel universe where instead of zombies and head crabs you have stuffed animals and bunnies trying to annoy you to death.

lol maybe that will be the case if you enable the parental lock, but there has got to definetly be somesort of queen antlion, and maybe one of hte levels you go make your way through the underground tunnels they have made and have some sort of underground melee with the queen

Gun to gun combat with breen and the gman

Gonarch...what one was that?

Was that the big spiderish looking creature with a pouch under its body, and lived in Xen?

Nihlanth was quite weird..

Maybe a Strider 3x as big! :O

Or an interdimensional headcrab with tentacles, and a big giant brain that transports you to a parallel universe where instead of zombies and head crabs you have stuffed animals and bunnies trying to annoy you to death.
Or it could be like Akira and the animals and bunnies would combine to create a huge, milk-filled stuffed bear with sharp teeth that tries to fall on you.

Maybe a bunch of headcrabs will form a perpetual chain with each one feeding off of the one before it and supporting the one after it, and making a huge shifting blob that tries to smother you.

...Or something.

What? Bosses? No no, we don't need any bosses!
/me hates bosses.

Seriously, what place do they have in the story? None.

I thought the hydra was gonna be a boss. I think they'll probably also have some huge bosses (the huge tentacle creature and the creature in op4), that'd be a nice reminder for people who've played HL1.

TST_Devgru Seal said:
Gonarch...what one was that?

Was that the big spiderish looking creature with a pouch under its body, and lived in Xen?

Nihlanth was quite weird..

Maybe a Strider 3x as big! :O
Gonarch was the big four-legged scrotum yeah.

Varg|Hund said:
What? Bosses? No no, we don't need any bosses!
* Varg|Hund hates bosses.

Seriously, what place do they have in the story? None.

Well ok then not bosses, but at least some kind of numerically challenged race of big bad hard to kill creatures.

For those who cares: The Gonarch is actually the final evolvement of a headcrab.

MAx said:
http://website.lineone.net/~wingerden/xenlife.htm

And I quote "The ultimate goal of all this metamorphosis is to turn the host creature into a gonarch."
Yeah, but that's not an offical site dude. They are making it up. True, most of it makes sence, and in terms of their timeline of "the incident" it really is fairly realistic. But the Gonarch thing is made up by them, not Marc Laidlaw or anyone at VALVe for that matter. I'm pretty sure.

Well, then it's up to our imagination I guess :)

Only one logical leap is required for that hypothesis Rimmer. We do know for certain that the gonarch produces baby headcrabs, right?
I can't think of ANY animal that has offspring of another species. e.g. Butterflies produce larva, but the larva do eventually evolve to butterflies. Perhaps 'metamorphose' is a better word than 'evolve'. In fact this is closer to fact than a logical leap.

But I would agree, it's still speculation.

Back on topic: I imagine we will see a few 'puzzle bosses' (e.g. tentacles, worm, gargantua etc.)
We also saw combat with the combine gunship, which is potentially a 'boss'. There will also be Combine tanks (as seen in the enemy list), but I don't know if they will be one of a kind fights, or repeated, as the strider seems to be.

PunisherUSA said:
Only one logical leap is required for that hypothesis Rimmer. We do know for certain that the gonarch produces baby headcrabs, right?
I can't think of ANY animal that has offspring of another species. e.g. Butterflies produce larva, but the larva do eventually evolve to butterflies. Perhaps 'metamorphose' is a better word than 'evolve'. In fact this is closer to fact than a logical leap.

But I would agree, it's still speculation.

Back on topic: I imagine we will see a few 'puzzle bosses' (e.g. tentacles, worm, gargantua etc.)
We also saw combat with the combine gunship, which is potentially a 'boss'. There will also be Combine tanks (as seen in the enemy list), but I don't know if they will be one of a kind fights, or repeated, as the strider seems to be.
But, then what was the point of killing Gonarch, if there can be more. And where are the human/host parts of the Gonarch. Also, Have you ever heard of a species who's leader is a huge floating baby and who's members can attack you by shouting very highly?
Althought, I suppose that once the headcrabs reach a certain stage, they begin attacking each other for power. But I still doubt it.

gonomes hardly look human except for the fact they are bipeds. And like you say, having a giant floating baby for a leader is VERY weird. Which makes a walking scrotum all the more reasonable ;)

In no particular order..

- Teleporting alien monster
- Guy in Mechsuit
- Antlion Queen
- Super flying manatee gunship
- Super Strider that shoots Mini Striders
- Breen'o'bot 5000

How about a squad of combine soldiers using tactics. e.g. Indirect approach, flanking, and heavy weapons guys laying covering and suppressive fire while the forward observer calls in an artillery strike.

No? Okay... I'll settle for whatever then. :)

AJ Rimmer said:
But, then what was the point of killing Gonarch, if there can be more. And where are the human/host parts of the Gonarch. Also, Have you ever heard of a species who's leader is a huge floating baby and who's members can attack you by shouting very highly?
Althought, I suppose that once the headcrabs reach a certain stage, they begin attacking each other for power. But I still doubt it.

Remember that the longer in the evolution the headcrab comes, the more different from it's host does it resemble.
And really, I don't think we can say it's unlikely, just because it has a weird way of frightening away pray :p Might as well start bitching about the Vortigaunts shooting lightning.
And the "point" of killing the Gonarch...well, you got in it's way\it got in your way, so poor Gonarch :imu:

AJ Rimmer said:
Gonarch was the big four-legged scrotum yeah.
Hahaha, I spit my rice everywhere after i read that
:LOL:

I thought the same thing when I saw/see it :cheese:

AJ Rimmer said:
I doubt that.
Why? you ever notice the baby headcrabs that come out of its sac?

And i think the hydra will be like the tentical of hl2 :x

aah well, and for all who want to know the truth about the gonarch:

you are all wrong !

the gonarch can make as many headcrabs as possible, so shes always pregnant and releases every day newbornheadcrabs.

the theory about gnomes becoming gonarchs is definetely wrong . it would take too many metamorphoses to become such a monstrum and their bodies are too diffrent. there would be too many gonarchs.

the zombies and headcrabs hunt in packs but they have no link to the gonarch after being born . they built big swarms and try to infest other creatures like vortigaunts . headcrabs are the normal food for every kind of xenians and they have no good life-demands thats why they need to stay in big groops.i think every 20th headcrab gets to an zombie and has the chance to grow up . (in h-l u always meet many headcrabs at once , if you see one you can be sure that there is another.)

well back to the gonarchs , they are big and very tough ,they dont need no escourt of zombies to survive . there arent many other creatures on xen who could stand up toe to toe to them errr toe to route .(the gonarchs lair was empty of other alien species.)
if the gonarch gets old and knows that it will die soon (i think they live about 20 years) it will release many small mini gonarchs instead of headcrabs .to make sure one of them survives it releases about 100 mini gonarchs . most of them will be eaten but a few will survive and will grow up.
well but you ll never see 2 gonarchs at the same place . . cos they dont accept each other .the stronger gonarch would kill the weaker one .or maybe one of them would leave the place to try its luck elsewhere.
so they make sure that there wont be too many headcrabs on xen.

i think thats all for now

well thats my theory about the gonarch hm but i think most of it is true

Well, I reckon we'll be seeing:

The end result of whatever line of creation/engineering/evolution the Striders and Gunships belong to.

The Hydra "Core". You see, I think that those tentacles are joined to some sort of central body somewhere in the sewers, like the octopoid in the movie Deep Rising.

Definately some kind of giant mech, though this may tie in to the "Uber-Strider/Gunship" idea above.

Definately the mother of all those antlions.

And as for the Gonarch, yes, she is a mother headcrab. In fact, her concept art declares her to be so, and calls her the "Big Mama". Notice I say "a", not "the"...

So Eber, you have no proof of what's right, but you're saying we're all wrong anyway?

Brian Damage had a point that she's called "Big Mama", and why else would she foster baby headcrabs if she didn't have the DNA herself?

Back to topic:

I'm not so sure if we'll be fighting the mother of all ant lions. Myself, I hope we aint gonna see too many bosses, I like a game with as few bosses as possible.

I liked the way that HL's bosses actually required thinking, tactics and even a little bit of puzzle-solving sometimes... instead of simply masses of ammo...

Indeed.
Though I still think the tactic-using combine squad is the best idea so far ;)
I detest big, bad bosses.
Oh, I've already said that eh? Well...
/me leaves.

I dont know, I wouldnt mind seeing something the size of what I have seen in painkiller,even though it is more than likely impossible in HL2 considering the map size.
boss2.jpg
and you have something specific you had to shoot, like its neck, you know a tatical spot, maybe that youd have to destroy while driving around in the dune buggy, or the hovercraft/boat thingy.

hmm. actually, i don't think that the gonarch lays down little headcrabs. if you look more closely (which is hard), you notice that those transparent beings ressemble the gonarch a LOT more than headcrabs. they actually have a nutsack hanging below them, whereas headcrabs have this type of leech-style mouth/orifice.

also, this is not in the subject at all, but why is everyone whining at the zombies having green blood? isn't it obvious enough that the headcrap drinks up all the human blood to then replace it with green blood in order to control the body?

Complete rubbish max (about gonarch bieng the last headcrab evolution)

MAx said:
So Eber, you have no proof of what's right, but you're saying we're all wrong anyway?

Brian Damage had a point that she's called "Big Mama", and why else would she foster baby headcrabs if she didn't have the DNA herself?

Back to topic:

I'm not so sure if we'll be fighting the mother of all ant lions. Myself, I hope we aint gonna see too many bosses, I like a game with as few bosses as possible.
omg please stop talkin ur annoying . . . well did i say she hadnt their DNA sherlock ? and yes she was called big mama umm but what now ??
so if you wana talk shit go make your own thread but dont annoy me with your dumb posts.

This is the THEORY part of the forum, and I brought up a theory, no need to start flaming me for it.

eber said:
well did i say she hadnt their DNA sherlock ?
Well then, mind I ask what kind of argument this is? I cannot remember the last time an animal ran around with other animals DNA and gave birth too them.
So unless you start coming with some ARGUMENTS, instead of just stating that everybody with different thoughts than you are stupid and ugly, please, feel free not to post it.

I think I'll put you on my ignore list right now so I don't have to worry more about you incoherent postings.

Go away troll! Shoo, shoo!

Back