What language in Half LIfe 2?!!

A

adam100

Hi.
I just managed to get the money for Half Life 2 (original of course)
and i am wandering how will it be with languages in Half Life 2? Because i WON'T buy original version for sure if there will be only Polish Half Life 2 in my country (which is Poland ). I just can't stand those Polish translations and i prefer English FAR more better. I'm talking about box editions here not Steam. So my question is- will boxed Half Life's 2 will all be in English over the whole Europe? I heard that you will be able to download a translation through steam after buying but i'm not sure. If it was told "officially" earlier in a letter from Valve than tell me. If there wasn't such a statement then also aknowledge me plz :)

Im very sure that when you start the game it asks you what language you want.

Or it will go by the language you have Steam set to.

doesn't it come with either;

All languages(most likely) or
English then you can download other languages?(small file)

Not necessarily, the game has a lot of speaking and such, so adding multiple language versions in one boxed set would add extra CDs and not make much sense.

Audiophile said:
Not necessarily, the game has a lot of speaking and such, so adding multiple language versions in one boxed set would add extra CDs and not make much sense.
yeah, the sound cache is almost a gig...

If you have a good enough connection to do it over Steam, then cancel your retail version n buy over steam.

Set your languages to what ever language u want when installing/activating HL2 and then HL2 willgive you that language. Much more easy imho

Well, i don't see much sense in downloading it from internet. I didn't "order " the retail version. If it will be English version i will simply buy it from store but if it won't than to be honest i don't know. :)
I'm not paying 150 zloties(50 dollars) for well, practically the same thing i would get by downloading it for free! But i think that it will be released in English at least in the beggining...

It's standard to have English included, so it should be no different with this.

Well, in most countries it is standart to have English for games but in Poland there is a helish company named Cd Projekt which translates most of the games to Polish and i believe most of them are Polish only. You can't choose. Fortunetly this one is distributed(Half Life 2 i mean) by Cenega which may pass on traslating it...I hope... :)

my guess: some form of C :D

Actually, you get to choose the language (I think).

adam100 said:
Hi.
and i am wandering how will it be with languages in Half Life 2? Because i WON'T buy original version for sure if there will be only Polish Half Life 2 in my country (which is Poland ). I just can't stand those Polish translations and i prefer English FAR more better. I'm talking about box editions here not Steam. So my question is- will boxed Half Life's 2 will all be in English over the whole Europe? I heard that you will be able to download a translation through steam after buying but i'm not sure. If it was told "officially" earlier in a letter from Valve than tell me. If there wasn't such a statement then also aknowledge me plz :)

hey man thats so cool Polish HL2. i would be able to understand everything since i speak polish. and yeah the translation from english to polish suck. i think they would have like some language packs

I will like to buy the English edition and hope that comes with subtitles in all the Languages. Or at least that we could download only the subtitles.

the Spanish translation of HL1 is not THAT bad, but the acting in english are FAR superior!!!

KurtCobain said:
If you have a good enough connection to do it over Steam, then cancel your retail version n buy over steam.

Set your languages to what ever language u want when installing/activating HL2 and then HL2 willgive you that language. Much more easy imho

You don't need to buy through Steam to take advantage of Steam extras. I don't know why people think that. Steam is how Valve updates games now and how it will deliver new content after release. It is not cost effective for them to keep track of who bought through steam and who clicked on the "Register a product I already own" button. To Valve it is the same. You bought the game and it is registered on Steam. Everyone who owns the game will have registered their copy on Steam and Steam is where they will get patches. The installer will have an option to pick your language, just like Steam.

I am getting the collectors edition from retail but I already have the game about 50% preloaded (nothing better to do with my bandwidth and two weeks). When I get back from the store I will just enter in my product key and start to play.

Sharrd said:
It's standard to have English included, so it should be no different with this.

That sir, is not true ;)

For example, if you buy the German version of [insert kewl game name here] you can only choose the language for the installer, not for the actual game. It will under every circumstances stay in German. So how getting around it? Well in most retail stores they only sell the localized versions, but I'm really sure there will be internet stores located in Poland which import the English version.

Ok, guess the ones I've seen have been exceptions, then.

Sharrd said:
Ok, guess the ones I've seen have been exceptions, then.

Yeah there are some exceptions, for example DooM III. Only the the box and the manual were translated to German, but the whole game was in English, no any option though.

VU Games completes plans to ship localized versions of Half-Life 2 simultaneously in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, Korean, Thai and Japanese.
Direct from the VU press release. If those are the only localized languages to be made available by November 16, then it is likely the boxed copy in Poland will be in another language (English or German perhaps).

As others have said previously, if a language is not included on your copy that you can understand, then Steam will surely let you download whatever language you desire. However, given the seemingly large amount of spoken audio content, it may be quite large for people with 56k. There is always the option of subtitles (which are much more advanced than other games) and those are easy to download, and may be included in every copy.

EDIT: I seem to remember some time ago an audio clip from the Russian translation of the G-Man. Russian is not included in that list, so perhaps it wasn't finished and won't be immediately available, or the press release may have just listed a few of the major languages.

Yeah I think it will go by the language you have in Steam or it will let you select at the beginning.

Thats another good thing I like about steam: you can play in every localized language you want, without having to pay for another copy!

adam100 said:
Hi.

Besides different languages in speech form, there will be dialogue for the hearing impaired (As well as closed captioning).

Back