What mobo should I get?

Muhahahaha

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a new comp, and now pretty much all I need are a tower and a mobo. How do this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-127-180&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1 mobo and this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-147-005&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1 tower look? For the most part, I already know everything will be compatible. One of the things I am worried about, however, is whether that tower's PSU will have enough connectors or not. The tower that I recently returned had only four molex connectors, and I need at least five (unless it has a PCIe connector, then I will only need three molex, and it also depends on whether I need to plug a molex into the mobo or not, then I would only need two). Does anyone have this tower or can anyone figure out how many of each connector it has? I am also planning on OCing with this mobo, so is this a good one, or does anyone know of any 915/925 chipset ATX mobos with DDR2 slots that might also be good for around the same $? Thanks.

Anyone? You don't have to answer everything. Any info would be appreciated.

if you're getting intel, get an intel mobo, and vice versa (with amd)

thats my 2c

and don't necessarily go for one with onboard everything.... just get one with good specs at a good $$$

ic... well I was thinking of purposely not getting an Intel mobo. I've heard that other boards have better OC support than Intel, cause they obviously wouldn't want to let you go faster, when they could make more money by making you buy a faster processor.

I don't have much of advice except that AMD is clearly the gamers CPU, even Pentium owners will agree.

You may want to reconsider

Anyway its 3 AM here, I'm sure you will get lots of advice in the morning (Asus, NetGuru)

ic. I've heard that about AMD, but I'm used to Intel. I already bought it and would rather have it. So yeah, I'll get more advice tomorrow then, I guess.

VirusType2 said:
I don't have much of advice except that AMD is clearly the gamers CPU, even Pentium owners will agree.

You may want to reconsider

Anyway its 3 AM here, I'm sure you will get lots of advice in the morning (Asus, NetGuru)

I don't agree

ic. I've heard that about AMD, but I'm used to Intel. I already bought it and would rather have it. So yeah, I'll get more advice tomorrow then, I guess.

tbh, you can't actually FEEL :)naughty:) the difference. They both run an OS pretty much the same. but when it gets to gaming, the AMD is more powerful, and then you will notice a difference, especially with CSS bots.

don't be deterred by the fact that an AMD chip has a slower hertz than an Intel chip of the same price.

No, I know that the slower hertz doesn't make it worse, but anyways, my current setup doesn't even use any AA or AS and is pretty much the lowest setting for everything. I will be happy with it.

Muhahahaha said:
No, I know that the slower hertz doesn't make it worse, but anyways, my current setup doesn't even use any AA or AS and is pretty much the lowest setting for everything. I will be happy with it.

as long as ur happy with it, so is everybody else! *aren't we?*

I'm not up on the current P4 boards as far as which one is the best. I would ask at Anandtech or Tomshardware.com forums and see what they say.

I know Asus and Abit have somewhat got around the OCing restrictions that Intel has put in place. I also know both of them are great board makers. ;)
Just make sure you get a 915 or 925 chipset. I don't think it's as important to get an Intel board exactly, but an Intel chipset with Intel CPUs highly recommended.

Also, if you get that case (good case btw) do not use the PSU (poor power supply). Replace it.

I love asus ... not you, asus... the brand. :)

Every board/card i've had from Asus have been beyond expectation. Because of this, every machine in my house features an Asus motherboard :D

Coupled up with an nForce chipset, you can't go wrong. I hear nForce4 for P4s is out soon. (or is it called nForce5?)

i'd suggest waiting for DFI's new 925XE-T2 mobo - Fugger already set a new record OC with a 570J (3.8) on it w/ his 3-stage phase change system

i'm personally awaiting this board before i go with a LGA775 socket, as IMO, DFI makes some of the best OCing boards possible, mainly due to their re-designed power structure from other motherboards

Thanks for all the help. So what is wrong with that PSU, then? Is it the wattage or something else? What PSU would you recommend instead? If only I could get them to switch it out with the one in the tower... I'm not too thrilled about paying more money. Anyways, I await your advice.

So any advice on a good PSU? I'm only looking to spend about $250-$300 total for the mobo/tower/PSU, so probably around $50 or so for the PSU? 3-stage phase change system? Sounds complex, like it's chemistry or something...

DFI 925XE-t2 !

sorry headcrab , just looked at your post :E

I've had no problems with my set up. Apart from one bsod nightmare that a proper win xp disk fixed np.

I've always had amd. I dont like intel because of those bloody adverts.

Doo de du duu.

Back