What RAM should I get?

Ti133700N

Tank
Reaction score
I currently have 2x256MB RAM and I'd like to have 1GB. The reason I want more RAM is mainly because when I go to Ironforge in WoW, it lags like hell. I tried different radeon drivers and it does the same thing. I heard WoW relies alot on the amount of RAM so I guess it won't be bad to add some more.

The problem is my mobo is a K8V Deluxe and it doesn't support Dual channel. If it would then I would simply remove the current RAM sticks and replace them with a dual channel pack of 2x512MB. But my mobo only has 3 slots. I currently have 2x256MB. It's CL2.5 (I think from Corsair) (Oh and my vid card is a Radeon 9800PRO).

So my question is: Should I only buy 1x512MB of the same type of RAM? Or should I remove my current sticks and replace them with better RAM (CL2 ?) I do not intend to overclock. I just want good performance RAM. So, what would be best? And could you provide me with some links (like newegg) to to RAM packages I should buy?

Thanks

Personally i think you should get 1 x 1gb stick, as there would be no benefit from 2 x 512mb if your motherboard doesn't support dual channel. This allows for further upgrades, i.e. addition of a second stick of 1gb in the future. I would get some decent pc3200 ram with low timings such as this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145560

v good ram, low timings, good performance

I'd say just buy another 512 stick of coarsair, having CAS 2 with 512mb won't get rid of lag.

Back