What ram to get?

Z|insane

Reaction score
Im looking at getting 512 to 1 gig of ram.

I am not sure what to get because of my timeings.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...&maxprice=&mfrcode=1459&DEPA=1&InnerManu=1459

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...&maxprice=&mfrcode=1183&DEPA=1&InnerManu=1183

I am not sure what would be my best option.

I already have 512, and I need it to be dual channeled.

Would getting 1 gig at a higher cas latency (by removing the original 512) be better then 1.5 gigs at a lower cas latency?

I have a 9800 Pro
and a 2.8 ghz P4 if it helps.

You do not want 1.5GB of memory. It will actually slow you down with your system.
Either buy 1 512MB stick or 2 512MB sticks.
It will cost you twice as much getting two sticks but it will be an improvement in performance, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

I would pick either a good Corsair, Kingston, OCZ or Samsung 512MB memory with a CL3 rating, matching your current memory.
Or
Find a good pair of 512MB sticks with good timings. This will probably be your best choice for a 2x512MB kit.

It will perform at the rate or speed of your slowest memory stick. So if you use your current memory it doesn't make any sense to get really fast memory.

Timings can actually make a pretty big difference on a Pentium 4 system. I have seen benchmarks, which I should really find again, that show a Pentium 2.8GHz system with low timings beating a 3GHz system with memory rated at CL2.5 or 3 timings.

What every you feel like you can speed for the performance you would like is what you should choose. The least expensive will obviously be just buying a 512MB stick rated at CL3.

lol asus is a hardware life saver.

anyway, try and get kingston if you can afford it. imo they're the best, and ive noticed speed increases with them, and have also had no problems either.

To Asus: You say that timings are more important on a P4 system, what about an AMD system? I was thinking about getting 1gig of Corsair XMS, or getting a gig of corsair value cas2.5, and saving some money for another part like video card. Would the extra performance be noticeable or worth it if i were to go with the more expensive stuff?

On the subgect of RAM-
I only have two slots on my motherboard, both with 256mb sticks. I want to upgrade, should I just throw one stick out and replace with a 512meg for 768megs or go all the way and get 2*512?

heh dont throw any of the sticks out silly. Trashmen are so lucky.

Honestly, I dont know. Asus seems to know more about me then ram. so Off to him the question will go.

Kristafon said:
ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh ASSSSSSSSSUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
That was pretty pointless reply but so is this!

Back