What were the system specs for the computer that showed the HL2 vids?

better than yours, lol, jk, i think they used a radeon 9800 128 meg ddr, but thats about all i know, i think its a dell

P4 2.8 800 FSB running the Ati Radeon 9800 pro (I think) Uh, yeah it was it was a Dell Dimension XPS. You can find it here...Dimension XPS :dork:

Also keep in mind that it was shown on a widescreen plasma screen, with abormal resolution, and that it limited to 60hz and 60fps.

I think the game will run as good on my 2.53GHz P4 & Radeon 9700 Pro as it did on that Dell with 9800 Pro. They only recommend higher end cards to eat your money. Heck you might think I'm talking out my ass but I think it's true. Maybe we'll wait and see when the game is released. :)

i swear if everyone in the world had a XPS and a copy of hl2, all crime, hate, etc would cease

I hope the actual game looks better than the steam videos. Frankly it as i feared the textures look abit cartoony.

i swear if everyone in the world had a XPS and a copy of hl2, all crime, hate, etc would cease

Yeah, but the number of guns would decrease and most people would use crowbars instead

Guys don't you see they're only advertising for Dell to make you want an XPS. I'm sure it would run just as well on a... well... even on a crappy Emachines if it had the same specs. ;)

If I get a dell inspiron 8500, with a 2.4 or whatever, and the nvidia geforcefx 5600go(though dell doesnt offer it yet), will it still look pretty damn good compared to the video? Also, whenever I see laptops, they look choppy and shit, like there isnt many frames being shown, is that just my friends laptop? or have you guys seen what im talking about?

not sure, i think it will look pretty good, but u have to remember it was a very nice comp they used in the demo, but hey, its hl2! id play it on a 486 (if it were possible)

Why buy a computer when you can build one cheaper and get exactly the parts you want?

If you know where to look or have connections... for around $1000 you can get a P4 3Ghz, 1GB of PC3200 DDR SDRAM, a 120GB HD, a 500W power supply, a Radeon 9800 Pro, and all the other parts you need except for a monitor (and I got a nice 19" monitor for $150 two years ago and it still works great, so I haven't priced monitors lately).

cuz some peeps dont know how to. Ill buildem for free

During the presentation Ken Birdwell said that the system was a 3.0 Ghz P4 and a Radeon 9800 Pro .

Originally posted by urseus
I hope the actual game looks better than the steam videos. Frankly it as i feared the textures look abit cartoony.

The E3 video and the Steam videos are both 1 year old, and from an older build. That means the graphics coul look exactly the same, or very different. It was all up to valve since they had 1 year to tweak the graphics. Im pretty sure the final graphics and build will look better, especially the bump mapping and other textures.

Even though in my opinion the graphics are pretty damn good in the steam videos. The only thing that i could see bad was the textures on the USP, they look too blurry and too jaged. But thats 1 thing i know for sure that will be tweaked. They wouldnt leave the USP looking like it had no detail :)

Originally posted by OCybrManO
Why buy a computer when you can build one cheaper and get exactly the parts you want?

If you know where to look or have connections... for around $1000 you can get a P4 3Ghz, 1GB of PC3200 DDR SDRAM, a 120GB HD, a 500W power supply, a Radeon 9800 Pro, and all the other parts you need except for a monitor (and I got a nice 19" monitor for $150 two years ago and it still works great, so I haven't priced monitors lately).

thats about $1500 actually. and you would be wasteing money on a 500W supply

400 is ideal. 430 is good too. 500 is gettign a bit pricey and is not really needed :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Originally posted by OCybrManO

more like 2000 with monitor. And 1500 with out.

that XPS is so overpriced i can make the same setup for like almost half the freaking price dude.

(and same goes for alienware)

But if you dont like ordering parts and all that crap, The best pre-made are www.abscomputers.com to tel you the truth. THey are cheaper and faster than both dell and alienware.

Is the Radeon 9800 DX 8 or 9?

goody - there my specs exactly, apart from the fact im runnin my 2.8 at 3ghz.

:bounce:

cyberpowerinc.com has some really nice custom builds that are a hell of a lot cheaper than comparable dells. They are cheaper and still use high quality parts.

Most mainstream computer companies like dell or gateway or whatever are mainly trying to sell to people who don't know about computers. Alienware, Falcon Northwest, ABC, Cyberpowerinc, etc THEY sell to people who know about computers.

If you think what I said is $1500 and that a good CRT monitor is $500 then you must not be looking very hard.

I only checked two sources (no searching around for the best prices) and you could build the computer that I specified for under $1200.
Then even if you bought a 19" LCD monitor for around $550 you would only be at the baseline price of the XPS series... and with specs comparable to the $3400 model.

Originally posted by Chris_D
Is the Radeon 9800 DX 8 or 9?

Technically it's not DX8 or DX9, just a very fast and reliable card. It supports all of the DX9 features, and can run them at decent speeds, hence why its a DX9 card.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
thats about $1500 actually. and you would be wasteing money on a 500W supply

400 is ideal. 430 is good too. 500 is gettign a bit pricey and is not really needed :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

the xps actually uses common hardware, unlike other dell models that use proprietary motherboards and power supply's. its a gaming pc, and you can put upgrade it just like any other pc. i like dell because if you hit fatwallet.com just at the right time, they have really good deals on the midrange (2.4) ghz p4 systems. i dont own a dell.. but i've recommended them to cheap people.

where in canada i can buy a damn FX5900 .. Jesus i can't find it anywhere!

LINK ISN'T WORKING!!!!11111!!!!111!!!!!

IT'S FAKE!!! IT'S A VIRUS! IT'S ILLEGAL!!!!!!

what they showed was a vid, which they must of rendered on more than one pc tbh since the res was soo high. But they pld it on a high spec pc the vid. BTW I havent read all the posts so dont flamne my butt if this is mentioned before.

ewwww... prebuilts... i think the dells and alienwares are so overpriced... especially alienware..

Originally posted by urseus

It's funny you mention it because I told one of my friends the other day that it looked a bit cartoonish and that I actually liked it. But Gabe has told us that there will and has been added more effects to the game after the E3 films.

Actually...

Originally posted by Frank
It's funny you mention it because I told one of my friends the other day that it looked a bit cartoonish and that I actually liked it. But Gabe has told us that there will and has been added more effects to the game after the E3 films.

Actually, in the latest chat session with Valve (link posted in the Steam forums), Gabe stated that the original polygon count on the dune buggy was somewhere around 12,000 poly's - and he stated that the final build will be substantially less. One could only imagine that other graphics may or may not be reduced in quality to increase performance...

Cheers,

EnochLight

Re: Actually...

Originally posted by EnochLight
One could only imagine that other graphics may or may not be reduced in quality to increase performance...
Or that there was a more efficient way to do it. Otherwise, it would simply be taken care of by how high your detail settings were.

Back