What would happen if my powersupply...

Rico

Tank
Reaction score
Well, i've been thinking about upgrading my CPU and my videocard before HL2 comes out, and i was just wondering if i could perhaps keep my current 300W psu and upgrade to an athlon XP 2400+ and a radeon 9600 pro.

If i put them in without changing my psu (i just changed my old one because it burned out) would it be too much to handle? If so, whats the worst think that could happen, would the machine refuse to turn on or go past POST?

really depends on the quality of your power supply.......

i have a 300watt psu

I run a 2600+ and a 9700pro with no problems.....i only have 1 hard-drive and 1 CD-rom hooked up although....

along with 2 highflow case fans and another regular casefan...

and an aftermarket cpu fan.

Again...everything works fine......my system is even overclcocked a bit.

If your thinking that there is going to be a catostrophic failer and your computer is going to explode...... then you can rest at ease....the worst that will happen is your system will be unstable while under load/playing games...and you then can simply upgrade your power supply if its neccasary.

note: if you have alot of drives and fans...it will put more strain on your psu. I keep it to a minimum just to be safe.

Yeah, its mostly the drives that stress it, the more one put on the rails, the more likely it is to freak out. 300W for a relativly light computer (as in crabbys case) should handle it... Unless its a really really really poor 300W.

Its a decent PSU(powmax), all i have on my computer is a cdrom, a floppy, 1 hd and a soundcard. I have 1 outtake fan and holes on the sides of my case for the air intake, the PSU itself has an intake fan and an outtake fan for extra cooling. (learned my lesson after 1st one burned out).

I don't think it will be a big deal then.

I have a 300 Watt psu... Have 2 cd drives, 2 hard drives, 2 fans, radeon 9600 pro, few other cards, uh, can't forget the floppy! I have never had a problem, it’s an Aopen psu.

btw, it's a p4 1.9ghz 2X256 RDRAM

Back