What's the longest time you've left your com on?

JellyWorld

Reaction score
What's the longest time you've ever left your com on without rebooting or shutting it down? I've never left mine on for more than two days in a row, but i have a friend who reboots his com once a month, and once he left it on for 66 days until it crashed. He uses a Mac, and he says one reason why he hates Windows is because it crashes if you leave it on for more than a week. I don't think he's shut his com down for more than a year now, apart from rebooting it now and then.

JellyWorld said:
What's the longest time you've ever left your com on without rebooting or shutting it down? I've never left mine on for more than two days in a row, but i have a friend who reboots his com once a month, and once he left it on for 66 days until it crashed. He uses a Mac, and he says one reason why he hates Windows is because it crashes if you leave it on for more than a week. I don't think he's shut his com down for more than a year now, apart from rebooting it now and then.

you have a weird friend.....

i always turn off my computer at night every day.

edit: actually, it turns off when the electricity goes out too..

ive had mine on for about 1 month before restarting, and boy did it need it.

Well, let's see... the longest run-time I've had was at least a couple hundred days in Windows 2000. I was hosting some stuff from my PC. That streak of uptime only got broken because I needed to restart for some reason. Seriously, the only time I ever crashed in Windows 2000 was when a stick of RAM spontaneously went bad. I still don't know what caused it but that little bastard plagued me with those damned STOP 0x0000001A error messages for over a week until I had time to sit down and diagnose the problem. I'm back to restarting at least once a week, since I no longer have any use for keeping it up all the time.

go mac!
I havnt shut down for soo long
I dont know how long though
Maybe like 1/2 a year....
I only restart because of sofware updates

ne0_shiny said:
go mac!
I havnt shut down for soo long
I dont know how long though
Maybe like 1/2 a year....
I only restart because of sofware updates

Save Electricity!

Save Money!

Save Resources!

Probably a couple of days..usually I shut it down every night though.

Shutting down computers when you're not using them saves you enough money to buy a new one after 3 or 4 years. Possibly.

I only have mine on when I'm using it. I don't leave it on for a number of reasons:

A: It's noisy.
B: It wastes electricity.
C: Can't see the point in leaving it on when not using it anyway other than if you're hosting stuff.

I turn it off every night. Some people don't realize that leaving a computer on all the time totally kills your electricity bill.

Listen to 15357 and kirovman.

I usually leave mine on, its mostly rendering or compiling or doing some such stuff in the background anyway.

I crash my mac (OS X Kernel Panics.. whee!) far more often than I crash my pc (Win2k). The only thing that will kill it currently is Raven Shield, so otherwise it stays on (or asleep) for weeks at a time (and then the restarts are generally for system changes).

My computer at work (Debian) seems to be stable enough to run for a few months without a restart.

The longest uptime I've had was probably a few months with an old linux pc.

I shut mine down everynight unless i'm downloading some software or doing some major updates.

I never shut mine off.. why would i...
I reboot once or twice a month though
Usually because i'm installing something
If windows is getting laggy i just end-task explorer
Then re-open it and everything is running smooth

I've got a fanless ITX server on my bedside table, it's on 24/7 and has been since the day I built it.

The machine i'm on now (my games machine) is turned off before I go to bed.

I heard it's actually bad to turn your computer on and off on a daily basis. I turn it off every once in a week. Anyways, for me it's about two months.

I turn it off every night, unless I'm downloading something. Longest it's been on is 2 days.

I turn it off at night and reboot about every hour or so once ive finished with it, I like everything to be clean and smooth when I come back on :D

I, too, turn off my computer every night before bed. The longest it's been on is probably 23 hours.

I turn it off every night or before I head to work. Only exception would be if I'm encoding which I do overnight.
Prince of China said:
I heard it's actually bad to turn your computer on and off on a daily basis. I turn it off every once in a week. Anyways, for me it's about two months.
That used to be the case when PC's were shut off completely. But today's Powersupplys are always on, that's how your PC turns on with the button on the front. Similar to how TV's always used to die really quick from being turned On/Off all the time but then they made them stay on. That's why we can use remote controls. There's still a circuit running. =p

My record uptime is something like a month and a half, but only because I run SETI@Home so it's always doing stuff (and periodical downloads).

only reason i dont keep my rig on is cos its too foking noisy :) all gunna change when i get a nice quiet powersupply straped to this hunk of crap :p

before that its new memory

and then after psu its
a new cpu mobo and bloodgy gfx and hard drive :( gunna cost a fair bit but then i get to play lost coast :)

my friend kept his on for a month, cos it was broken and wouldnt turn off..

48 hours, I downloaded StarWars trilogy DVDs :E

a month or two once.

But I'm not an idiot anymore(LOL YEA RITE!11), I dont want my harddrive dying young on me or wasting money on electricity.

-Alix

Back