Whenever HL2 comes out, will you..

staddydaddy

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot tonight about hl2 cause one of my friends and I were talking about it tonight, and I just thought of something. Once the game comes out and we have all played through it, Would you download the beta, just too see what's was in it? Since we would all have played through the real game it would elliminate the potential for spoilers or anything like that. I'm not talking about the source code but the actual build of the game. I just thought it would be interesting to see people's opinions on this.

If we did go back and see it

we'd laugh

cause the beta sucks

Its got almost nothing HL2 will most likley have..

and besides i've already tried it :-P

staddydaddy said:
I've been thinking a lot tonight about hl2 cause one of my friends and I were talking about it tonight, and I just thought of something. Once the game comes out and we have all played through it, Would you download the beta, just too see what's was in it? Since we would all have played through the real game it would elliminate the potential for spoilers or anything like that. I'm not talking about the source code but the actual build of the game. I just thought it would be interesting to see people's opinions on this.

Ya I probably would if it was easy enough to obtain. I wouldn't go out of my way for it though. At this point I won't because nothing in the leak was meant to be seen right now, and it would infact spoil the game for me. But after the game's release none of that would really apply.

... uhhhh... I think I missed the part where I figured out why that was funny...

I am going to.. DO SOMETHING DRASTIC.. TO THE NEXT PERSON WHO CALLS THE STOLEN BUILD A BETA@~!~!@!@!@~!@
It's not a beta, aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................okay, now that I got that out of my system.. lol

I've already played it, sadly. /me kills myself (cybersh33p drove me to this)

Shuzer said:
I am going to.. DO SOMETHING DRASTIC.. TO THE NEXT PERSON WHO CALLS THE STOLEN BUILD A BETA@~!~!@!@!@~!@
It's not a beta, aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................okay, now that I got that out of my system.. lol

It's no use ;(. Lol, "the beta" is just what people call it, because that's what it was called in the original file name, and that's what it was being called in the first week or 2 that it was released, until everyone realized that it was nowhere near a beta. Therefore (most) everyone recognizes it as that. I feel the same way about calling it the stolen files/build as you do, but some people just feel it's easier to call it by that name :p.

Shuzer said:

well then... this really does clear up why Cybersh33p's mum called him a n3wb... hmm.. but now im wondering, if hes a n3wb, then what would u be Shuzer? :p :LOL:

anyway, it won't change anything for me, im not gonna touch that stolen build.. simply from what i've heard, its buggy as hell (obviously) and that would probably just annoy me.. so no real point in trying the stolen build even after completing HL2 SP.

B E T A
S T O L E N F I L E S / B U I L D

It doesn't take Enstein to work out which one is easier to type. Whats your problem with calling it a beta anyway? To the layman, thats what an unfinished peice of software is called.

I agree. "beta" doesnt actually mean BETA anymore. Its simply a "nickname" for what was really an alpha, because it was called 'beta' for so long no amount of bitching can erase its "false" nickname. Just get over it.

So, is an alpha an earlier version than a beta? Please forgive my lack of game developing know how.

I might think about checking out the leaked gameplay stuff AFTER I have finished the whole game. But only maybe, to see just how much was actually stolen. But I won't go out of my way to get it though.

Dude I have played the first 5 min of the beta and then I saw many big error messages accross the map, Don't make ANON fools you and wait for the final version.

No! Stop it at once! Stop the name-recognition befuddlement!
Why would I bother playing it if I had the full game?

The beta is pretty fun to play around with, but dont download it expecting to be able to actually play HL2. I spent alot of time messing around with the map that was in the video with the big pool of water ad the dead combine soldier, where he's saying "surfaces with wood textures will fragment like wood....". Pretty cool level but it's kinda bullsht i nthe video how he shoots the wood and it fragments really cool. It honestly takes almost all of your ammo to fragment that peice of wood once. But the grav gun is ALOT of fun.

People who played the beta, did you notice that if you use the grav gun and stack as much shit as you can onto that wooden platform, eventualy it starts to bend down, then you drop something heavy onto it from up high it smashes it. Looks really cool actually. Just an awesome example of the physics.

It's not a beta but it's not an alpha because of the way Valve builds games. The technology and various other stuff in it are not where they are in the E3 or HDR vids yet there is so much level content and stuff. Personally, I just call it the 'leak'.

Man, you won't believe this, I just saw it since its uploaded two days ago on A torrent site that HL2-BETA-Anon Seeders has been risin from 400 to 15000 seeders and number of downloaders are 65030, WOW man, many people are downloading it right now

MANY. :(

my mate played it and said it was rubbish. couldn't do hardly anything and that nothing was as it seemed- said he couldn't get the HDR demo level to work so i think if this is true i'll give it a miss

i dont think its an alpha either.....its just some early build from 2-3 years back

beta and alpha aren't specific to game developers, they are terms used by all software developers.

a beta version of something is a version that the developers worked out almost all of the obvious bugs (although they could have easily missed a ton of bugs, but none are really visible to them at that point) and the peice of software is ready for beta testing. after all the beta tests come out relatively bug-free, a final version comes out.

an alpha version is a version that isn't quite yet a beta, and the software developers havn't implemented all of the coding to their project yet and know it's an unfinished peice of work. alpha versions usually aren't meant to get out.

hope that clears things up.

jonnyapps said:
my mate played it and said it was rubbish. couldn't do hardly anything and that nothing was as it seemed- said he couldn't get the HDR demo level to work so i think if this is true i'll give it a miss

There are very few complete or near complete levels, so I'm not surprised if your friend wasn't impressed if he was hoping to play it. However if your more into the nature of the game from a technical viewpoint then it is interesting. The physics techdemo room is a lot of fun (wasted a fair few hours there it has to be said).

Back