dan_brew

Reaction score
1) I went through all of Half-Life 2 taking for granted that:

Eli,
Kliener,
Alyx,
Mossman,
and Barney

were all in "City 17", a rather small populace located on the coast of somewhere under the rule of a totalitarian government. How did they get there? Were they *all* there before the combine came? Were all the scientists from the black mesa incident moved there so they couldn't talk of it? ( I assume the half-life symbol spray painted on the walls is the resistance of the scientists ).

2) Breen, the former scientist admin. of Black Mesa in the U.S canyon area ( forgotten the name ), is the dictator.

I heard "City 13" mentioned by someone in the game, so that means there are at least 17 cities under the control of a dictator?
Remember the guys in the beginning at the train station said they were sick of being moved around and having their luggage taken etc...

3) Some of the vortignauts helping you say: "We see you still in the resonance cascade, and in the nihillianth chamber". I saw more than one of these slave aliens who said that to me, so Valve probably wants us all to hear it (for another twist in HL3 I guess).
Another one says: "The Eli Vance was our first collaberator". So what's up with the G-man talking to the vortignauts via tv?

4) When you begin on the train after G-Man's words, the guy at the door says: "oh! didn't see you get on...", because g-man just teleported you there. In the intro video, you see the resonance cascade from HL1, the citadel building thing with the robotic human chambers been transported around, and other things G-man has in store for you in due *time*.

Finally

5) Breen talks on the big tv thing one time and talks of the "so called 'Free-Man'", and how he has romantically been given power time and time again. "Beware magical thinking (hope) ...Be careful.. Be safe... Be aware!".

What do you make of these parts of the game?

These characters probably purposely relocated to City 17 to establish the underground resistance, as City 17 is where the Administrator has established himself. There intent was to take down Dr. Breen. They were pleasantly surprised to see Gordon show up to help them out.

I don't remember the Gman talking to vortigaunts on a TV. Where was this?

in the beginning when ur walking around and get pulled in by barney disguised as combine, dr breen says "you have chosen, or been chosen to relocated to one of our finalest urban centers"
so that leaves it open to just assume that they were either lucky and all reloacted there, or they chose to do it themselved in order to be near the citidel and have a better chance cuz they were at dr breen center of operations.

rd_syringe said:
These characters probably purposely relocated to City 17 to establish the underground resistance, as City 17 is where the Administrator has established himself. There intent was to take down Dr. Breen. They were pleasantly surprised to see Gordon show up to help them out.
Yep that was probably it... Barney seemed to be expecting him though, I wonder if the g-man spoke to him alone or something, the others seemed surprised he'd turned up.

How they all managed to get there isn't explained, though it's indicated they are there to fight Breen. The Lambda symbol appears around the game to either:
Show you the way to continue
Indicate locations of supplies.

2) It's indicated that the City's are the locations where the remaining human populance of the world are being "looked" after.

3) There are several threads with the full discussion of what the Vort's will say to you.

4) Just adds to the mystery of who are what the Gman really is. . .

5) Breen's Propoganda. . fighting the Resistances own, since Freeman has been made out as a "Saviour" figure.

ShadowFox. . . right at the start of Route Kanal when he appears on the TV inside the train car. I'm guessing that's what he's talking about.

I don't remember the Gman talking to vortigaunts on a TV. Where was this?

In the first carraige on route canal, where you hop off the train tracks into the canal below. Just before you meet your first barnacle.

Oh.. well in that case it was just one vortigaunt, and there was a human there as well, so I don't think you can base any conclusions on that.

The vortigaunts work for G-man. They even tell you so. The resistance in general seems to work for him.

Back