WHERE does it say AI was toned down?

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
I'll probably get flamed, but as far as I know we have absolutely nothing from official sources about the AI in the videos being toned down or even "turned off" as some have put it. And yet, everybody seems to think it's a well-established fact. I've seen at least one person say that Gabe said it. I certainly hope that the AI WAS toned down, because I think AI is one of the most important things in a single-player experience, but someone please show me where this bit of info came from!

gabe said it in one of the interviews or e-mails.
And if you think that is exactly how the AI will be in finished hl2 your weird.

Good question TriggerHappy - I too would like to see :)

I guess I should really go searching through that valve email thread of ours.

I'm sorry I'm not answering your question here, but even without an official statement from Valve, I can't believe that the AI would be worse than it is in HL1...which it certainly is in some of those demos!

I mean, in HL1, the guys could move around, not just pivot! :cheese:

I thought it was just common sense that you wouldn't want the AI hiding or kicking your ass in a demo. We want to see the enemies, the weapons, and the surroudings.

Munro could you maybe enable 2 word searches on the forum?

Originally posted by MrTeatime
I thought it was just common sense that you wouldn't want the AI hiding or kicking your ass in a demo. We want to see the enemies, the weapons, and the surroudings.

DEMO = DEMONSTRATION

FYI :eek:

Originally posted by BWMASTER
Munro could you maybe enable 2 word searches on the forum?

Hmmm... I'll try to fix that :)

Then we could search something like "AI toned down".

Would really help the new people on the forums.

I'm pretty sure i've seen in previous interviews that the AI was toned down but I can't find them.

Thanx

I do recall reading that in the email from valve thread.

What i want to know is why everyone keeps saying the e3 videos are on a build of the game that is a year old. Proof of concept was a year ago. E3 was in May. Why would they backstep 9 months for the demonstration.

Adam

Because they wanna surprise people with better graphics and lots of new improved stuff

/me hopes i'm right

man you guys are dense.

these videos are used to show off the engine, all aspects of it. therefor things are tweaked in order to represent the best quality possible. The Ai is tweaked so the guy playing is not killed while showing off the specific features of the certain video....

Originally posted by zdub
man you guys are dense.

these videos are used to show off the engine, all aspects of it. therefor things are tweaked in order to represent the best quality possible. The Ai is tweaked so the guy playing is not killed while showing off the specific features of the certain video....

No, I think you're dense.

$niper, if you read this, maybe you can comment. Somebody said they thought that Sven had been talking to the Valve people and that the enemy Combine had "stay put" flags enabled. Can you confirm or deny that?

Actually that was an assumption I made. Take it with a grain of salt.

I remember seeing an e-mail to gab eon this issue. He didn't say it was toned down. he said it was turned OFF. >)

i remember something being said about how the ai was adjusted so it didnt run for cover when reloading, or strafe around or whatnot

i certainly hope the AI woulnd't strafe around

i really don't want my AI circle strafing my and bunny hopping, i hate those things more than anything in the world

LOL it would suck if AI would just own you. Takes away from teh "gordon owns evereything" statement.

Two things.
First its not like they used some magic scrollbar to turn the AI "up" or "down" what they mean is they crafted the actions of the enemies in order to facilitate the things they wanted to show in the demonstration. Second the AI in HL was really cool, and the AI in HL2 will be to.

As far as I believe, the AI for Half-Life 2 wasn't finished for E3.

Instead of showing off some really dumb AI doing stupid things, Valve instead turned off some functions for it. Essentially most of the AI, (but not all) became poles stuck in the ground. E.g. the combine grunts not moving. :dozey:

That's not to say Half-Life 2's AI wont make us it's bitch when the game is finally released. :dork:

Edit: What SirMcNugget said, basically.

No, but it sounds like unfinished AI to me. AI that wasn't ready to be shown off at the time, or it would have been.

I don't know, the soldiers in "Traptown" ganged up on Gordon pretty convincingly.
As for them holding their ground in "Bugbait", I don't see too many alternatives.
The soldiers there are already hidden behind obstacles for the most part and when they are attacked by multiple enemies there is not much use in running, since the Antlions are much faster than they are.
I really think the alternatives are limited for the soldier AI in that particular scene, although I must agree their movements look a bit stiff and passive (which is more noticeable in the "Barney" part of the E3 demo).

Didn't anyone here notice the excellent AI of the soldiers fighting alongside Gordon in City17? They took cover behind walls, before rushing in, they yelled "Cover me!" and actually did run to another spot while Gordon was firing. I was amazed by how cool and lifelike they moved (except for them floating around on the floor like most 3d-game models do unfortunately)

Back