Where is City 17??

L

lampbizkat

Where do you all think City 17 is in the world? Personally I think it is located in Eastern Europe possibly Latvia or Romania. In a previous thread it was discussed that it's a mix of Sweedish and other Europeon countries, but I noticed throught out the game a lot of Cyrillic writing on buildings, which is a common form of writing used in ex-soviet satillite countries, and obviously it is or was bordering an ocean or sea and it must be the mediterianian (cant' spell). This is another lame theory of mine. Where do u think City 17 is located?

it has an eastern european theme to the city... doesnt nesserserily mean its based in europe,.. its a game!, a virtual world.. it could be anywhere..

there are a few maps around of the area in game... and if you ask me.. the surrounding area is like no European city ive ever seen... it seems more USA based.. with the canals and industrial buildings, + that lighthouse looks very American/ british.

its most definately a mix of things, its location seems irrelevant.

clarky003 said:
it has an eastern european theme to the city... doesnt nesserserily mean its based in europe,.. its a game!, a virtual world.. it could be anywhere..

there are a few maps around of the area in game... and if you ask me.. the surrounding area is like no European city ive ever seen... it seems more USA based.. with the canals and industrial buildings, + that lighthouse looks very American/ british.

its most definately a mix of things, its location seems irrelevant.

It has signs in Russian all over it so it could be argued that it is in Russia. But then look at these pics:

This one is of a part of South Korea... no idea about the city name.
1_big.jpg

This one is of City 17.
2_big.jpg

See the resemblance? Maybe its baised on a number of different cities...

Is NOT in USA, and dosn't resemble it at all.

The location is on Eastern Europe, therefore, Black Mesa EAST (East from New Mexico facility, on Europe).

Cyan Leader said:
Is NOT in USA, and dosn't resemble it at all.

The location is on Eastern Europe, therefore, Black Mesa EAST (East from New Mexico facility, on Europe).

NOBODY SAID IT WAS IN USA... but w.e and it does not need to be a real city thats why i said that it may be a combination of many cities... if its a real one, then its either Moscow or St. Petersburgh

Well city 17 looks like old part of Riga.... really!! Some of the building looks allmost same... and iam not really sure but in riga is also is cafe named like this:
attachment.php

See baltic, this points to Baltic countrys (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania).

Attachments

• hl2 proof.JPG
    hl2 proof.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,436
I thought it was in Texas.

Kidding

On a serious note though...if it is in Eastern Europe then they must have gotten rid of all the original citizens, cuz I didn't run into ONE person who sounded Eastern-European. I know that a lot of people got transferred there and stuff, but aside from that British Colonel guy at that house, I never ran into any rebels or anything without an American accent.

Definately not Mediterrenean. It's either the baltic sea or some large lake (there are a few pretty darn big ones in Russia, like the Caspian Sea), although it doesn't have to be any particular sea at all.

City 17 looks like most European Cities that haven't been torn apart by war or by menacing politicians looking to rid the city cores of their old buildings. You can find similar buildings, streets, canals, signs, statues and locations all over Europe.

When you need to rescue barney from the snipers in city17 there is a sign on one of the buildings that says:

FOTO
copy/Aliltier

or something like that.....sry I can't post a screen for you. You can't quote me on the spelling of that last word but I assume it is copy in another language.....find out what language it is and that may give u a better idea of where the city is

beam said:
When you need to rescue barney from the snipers in city17 there is a sign on one of the buildings that says:

FOTO
copy/Aliltier

or something like that.....sry I can't post a screen for you. You can't quote me on the spelling of that last word but I assume it is copy in another language.....find out what language it is and that may give u a better idea of where the city is
Several different languages in city17… Off the top of my head…English, Russian, and Finnish have all been found.
justmatt said:
if it is in Eastern Europe then they must have gotten rid of all the original citizens, cuz I didn't run into ONE person who sounded Eastern-European. I know that a lot of people got transferred there and stuff, but aside from that British Colonel guy at that house, I never ran into any rebels or anything without an American accent.
Father Gregory?
c0Lt-a-MaF0nE said:
It has signs in Russian all over it so it could be argued that it is in Russia.

Well a lot of Eastern European locations have Russian all over them… they were occupied by the Soviet Union for a while there…

c0Lt-a-MaF0nE said:
See the resemblance? Maybe its baised on a number of different cities...

The Resemblance is tenuous at best… But yeah I would say it is most CERTAINLY is based on an amalgamation of many cities… mostly Eastern European.

there's an easy explanation for all the different languages
all gas station attendants were swedish, all highway sign designers were romanian, and the guys doing signage on various warehouses were russian
in reality, it's in Myanmar, and the Combine have used a raygun to make it look like Europe

There's a place in City 17 somewhere called 'Cafe Baltic', or something, so I'm guessing a Baltic state/the Russian Enclave thing.
But Myanmar could be as good a guess as any. Not as good as Micronesia, though...

-Angry Lawyer

proof that City17 is indeed in Russia and is located all the way in Vladivostok in the western part. Back in the cold war, Russians used to cover up their major research/test areas with numbers such as City17, In the HL2 level where u encounter abandoned submarines, if you were to go to Zvezda shipyard, located in Vladivostok, which is where HL2 supposedly takes place, you will see alot of abandoned submarines as they were used for testing/research.

Map
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/att...tachmentid=4473

Proof (submarines)
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/att...tachmentid=4491
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/att...tachmentid=4492
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/att...tachmentid=4493
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/att...tachmentid=4494

These kinds of submarines are used in Port Arthur and various ports of Vladivostock. It's a prototype submarine which was able to fire balistic missiles back during Soviet Union

Info on the Zvezda Shipyard:
http://vn.vladnews***/Arch/2001/ISS273/News/News03.HTM
http://www.halflife2.net/misc_image...l2concepts1.jpg

C17 is almost russian, the gasmasks the combine soldiers have are manufactured in russia. Also you can sometimes notic tenements around in the background and you go through one in the beginning before you meat Alyx. Also there are some Cyrillics on the walls and stuff.

It seems a lot like russia but it isn't because there are some swedish gas pumps in the coast levels or somewhere.

Basicly it's just a representation of Eastern Europe, all the stuff was randomly grabbed by ValvE.

Conclusion: Eastern Europe, not anywhere in particular.

Valve said it's in Eastern Europe. Therefore, it's in Eastern Europe. Because there are traces of a number of different languages, cultures and countries in the game, we can safely assume that it was never meant to be one specific city, and as such is entirely fictional.

Case Closed. :thumbs:

Do you people actually believe what valve says? I mean, that's really sad. They have no idea wtf they are talking about.

Combine Hybrid said:
Do you people actually believe what valve says? I mean, that's really sad. They have no idea wtf they are talking about.

:LOL: Why would they lie about the location of the game? True paranoia, my friend. :p

The gman is the doomguy! OMG 1ee7 4r3 +3h Dm4n!!!!!!!!!1111!!11!111!11!!11!one11!1!111111111!!!!

I don't believe it's meant to be an existing location in the first place, but supposing it is (and since we're all discussing it :hmph:) my guess would be somewhere on the eastcoast of the Ukraine. The large body of water would then be the Black Sea.
The best proof to support this is the fact that the rebel outpost where you get the RPG is named New Little Odessa (Odessa being one of the Ukraine's major cities). Of course the British officer who gives you the RPG (definitely forties/fifties upper class accent btw, but that's a different thread) is also named Odessa, but I think he's more likely to have been nicknamed after a location in the area than the other way round.
Check out this pic of Odessa:
odes4.jpg

Wow, shut up. It doesn't take place anywhere in particular, just eastern Europe-ish, drop it.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it's not interesting to speculate about it.

City 17 is NOT in Russia. It looks like Russia Because it's at the Eastern Europe. For those who doesn't know, All of the Eastern Europe Countries were captured by the Soviet Union During World War II by Stalin. Even today you can find alot of russian signs over the Eastern Europe Countries. Their International Language is Russian and not English (unlike the West). Which Brings us another point of view... Dr. Breen(The New "Stalin") is the head of the combine ^^.

Edit: It could be Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus or any of the countries over that region

city 17, is technically based nowhere, it has architecture that strongly resembles russian cities.. etc.. but its a virtual world... and for all we know the valve team may of decided that it would be nice to add that element of architecture to the game world... and make up a completely fictional location, along with the science fiction element... I once saw a map in the leak showing the coast levels location south of Washington DC..

the proof of it being anywhere... is no proof atall.. its merely an element of design within the game. Infact Ive come to a conclusion and now know exactley where it is!... its on my hard drive .

Um. In the leak there is a map of italy and it has a dot where city 17 is. I remember. It is where you jump over that ramp onto the free way from the wherehosue through the glass.

*whew*

run on.

Actually.. In the live game, some of the maps are of the Puget Sound area, up here in Washington State, near where Valve's offices are at. I found it funny that someone once posted that the map showed where in Europe City17 was, and that they could see it on the map.. As far as I am aware there is no City 17 in this area.. but then I'm somewhat new to the area so I could be mistaken.. But I do know, that I haven't seen any apartment buildings like in the game, and we don't have russian signs all over the place as well :p Was a neat easter egg type thing on Valves part...

Actually the Art Director/Conceptual Designer at Valve (there's 2 of them actually), Viktor Antonov, was born in Sofia, Bulgaria and he is the one that brought forth the idea of making HL2 take place in a East European like city. They based City 17 largely on Romania and Bulgaria and if you use the forum search function there is actually one thread where it was discussed largely, and there are photos for all you non believers. Valve also stated that they based HL2 on a couple other ex-USSR countries in Europe (e.g. Russia, Ukraine etc.).
You can view some of Viktor's work at his website : http://www.vulkanbros.com/

Okay, I'll go for Romania. That's by the Black Sea as well, so I was partly right after all :LOL:

Combine Hybrid said:
Romania doesn't have highways such as Highway-17.... or am I wrong?
I'm pretty sure you're wrong, because there are some highways very similar to HW 17. I can't name any, but i know without a doubt that there are some. I'm 90% sure that there's a HW that goes to Bucharest (Romania's capital) that's really similar looking to HW 17. If anyone is wondering how i know this, it's because I used to live in Romania and then I moved to Canada about 3 years ago.

Um...BLACK MESA EAST?

If it is in east europe then black mesa would have to be aswell.
I always got the feeling black mesa was in the states(USA). You visit back mesa in hl2, so what the f**k is up with that?

I must say its located in Russia... since it looks Russia... though the people speaks in English.

Back