Who Is Your Fav "Classical" Composer?

who you be liking yo?

• Total voters

Lil' Timmy

Reaction score
well? i need more options. so many left off.. :(

i've stolen your mojo sprafa!

Shostakovich, Saint-Saens.

I love karchaturians spartacus and phyrgia as well as the old masters , mozart , Beethoven etc

I couldnt narrow it down to a single favourite

Hot Soup said:
Shostakovich, Saint-Saens.

I love karchaturians spartacus and phyrgia as well as the old masters , mozart , Beethoven etc

I couldnt narrow it down to a single favourite
well, it's the old desert island question.. there can be only one :borg:

anyway, never got into the soviets too much. i do like khachaturian's gayane a bit, never heard spartacus though. only ever heard a couple of shostakovich's symphonies, couple of piano concertos and a couple of ballet suites.. never got into his stuff. kabalevsky.. meh.

i've never made the time to look past le carnival des animaux, which is awesome. i'd probably like saint-saens' other stuff..

Gustav Holtz, he wrote "classical" music even though its from the 20th century.

The Mullinator said:
Gustav Holtz, he wrote "classical" music even though its from the 20th century.
do you mean gustav holst? yeah, one of my friends from college is real big into his choral works, so much so that he started a highly acclaimed website about holst (http://www.gustavholst.info/). personally, i love the planets, but the little other work i've heard of holst's hasn't excited me much. the british composers in general are kinda meh to me. maybe with the exception of ralph vaughn williams.. and i like purcell too :)

Tough choices there..i'd have to say Tchaikovsky.

Dance of the Reed Flutes

Its great

Lil' Timmy said:
do you mean gustav holst? yeah, one of my friends from college is real big into his choral works, so much so that he started a highly acclaimed website about holst (http://www.gustavholst.info/). personally, i love the planets, but the little other work i've heard of holst's hasn't excited me much. the british composers in general are kinda meh to me. maybe with the exception of ralph vaughn williams.. and i like purcell too :)
Whoops yes, that one. The Planets suite. :eek:

Yes I don't really like much else of his work, but the Planets just set him above all others to me anyway. Its probably because Mars was the first real piece of "classical" music I had ever heard that I actually enjoyed (after that I started loving the genre) and also because I am a huge space nut.

Beethoven.
Then, it would be Mozart. I really like Mozart's Turkish March. I forgot the alternate name...I'm not even sure if there was one.

Tredoslop said:
I really like Mozart's Turkish March. I forgot the alternate name...I'm not even sure if there was one.
you mean the rondo (3rd mvmnt) from his 5th violin concerto (known as the "turkish")? yeah, i wish he had written more music like it.
i'm listening to it right now :)

did some one transcribe a march out of it?
The Mullinator said:
Yes I don't really like much else of his work, but the Planets just set him above all others to me anyway. Its probably because Mars was the first real piece of "classical" music I had ever heard that I actually enjoyed (after that I started loving the genre) and also because I am a huge space nut.
yeah, mars (and sometimes jupiter) will do that to a man :)

you might want to check out some of the low-quality mp3s here for a taste of some of holst's military band music (outside of the planets, that's one of his claims to fame). the 'song without words' from his 2nd suite is quite popular)

How could Piotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky be beating Beethoven?
Grrr.
:frown:
I never heard any of his ballets, but the only one I do know that's from him is the Nut Cracker.

I don't see Tchaikovsky? Add him to the poll

Tredoslop said:
How could Piotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky be beating Beethoven?
Grrr.
:frown:
I never heard any of his ballets, but the only one I do know that's from him is the Nut Cracker.
well, it depends on if you like early or high romanticism :)

swan lake is his other famous ballet (besides the nutcracker), but tchaikovsky is also well known for his 1st piano concerto, violin concerto, all 6 of his symphonies, 1812 overture, romeo & juliet overture and mache slave among others, i'm sure.

edit: and once again, i'm a double-posting newb :bonce:

Lil' Timmy said:
can you read?
if not... i guess we'll never know :(

Aah! I was looking for Tchaikovsky only...didn't expect to see his firstname aswell

Back