Whoever wins. We lose.

Sprafa

Tank
Reaction score
Polarization

A concentration, as of groups, forces, or interests, about two conflicting or contrasting positions.

wikipedia said:
In politics, polarization is the process by which the public opinion divides and goes to the extremes. It can also refer to when the extreme factions of a political party gain dominance in a party. In either case moderate voices often find that they have lost power. It may be one of the first steps to a civil war.

In recent times, some Americans have seen increasing polarization in the U.S. political system. Some point to Jim Jeffords resignation from the Republican party because of his feelings that the party was becoming increasingly polarized and that moderate voices were getting shut out. Republicans point to the campaign of John Kerry as evidence that the Democrats are becoming increasingly polarized. The number of undecided voters has shrunk to relatively low levels, and many expect upcoming elections to be very close.

Others take the view that the U.S. political parties themselves are actually quite close in terms of actual policy and party leadership. They say that political rhetoric is polarized in order to create some illusion of policy difference; however, in practice and action, both parties take a similar approach to government. Examples include vast bipartisan support for one side of various supposedly controversial issues; a majority of both major parties in Congress voted to cut taxes in 2001, to authorize use of force in Iraq in 2002, and to ban partial-birth abortion in 2003. Additionally, since 1948, the Congress and the President--whether Democratic or Republican--have shown the same willingness to grow the size of the Federal Government. Supporters of this theory also say that public opinion has not gone to the extreme; rather, both parties have come closer to the center. Thus, for the average "centrist" voter, it is easier to decide which party/candidate is closest to them.

The truth is the World is following along. We all know what will happen after the elections. It doesn't matters who wins, is it Kerry or Bush. Mass protests, accusations of fraud, and possibly even violent clashes. Families divided perhaps, because of one vote.

Whoever wins. We lose.

Then sit down, have a cuppa and relax, worse things happen at sea.

I think Kerry needs to take a stance on some more issues before he can be considered extreme in any direction. To a lesser extent the same applies to Bush, he can't even make up his mind on whether the war on terror is "winnable". I think it would be interesting to see how many people plan on voting for Kerry simply because they don't like Bush compared with how many truly support him.

I agree that the current divide is somewhat frightening. I've noticed an increase in extremists myself, and I don't mean extremists in the public eye, I mean the average people. It's become quite alarming; I have been unable to hold a civil conversation with anyone about politics, not even my own family (who despite being stubborn, are usually calm). It goes far beyond that though, people in general seem very angry. Kerry supporters are angry with Bush, and perhaps even more angry with his supporters. Bush supporters are angry with Kerry, and even more angry with his supporters. The topics being debated are really heated ones, or at the least very controversial. It's certainly gotten quite a bit more tense around here as of late.

Things were much worse in the 60s.

Anybody here hoping for a second American civil war will be sorely disappointed.

A few reasons why I won't be voting for Bush:

When President Bush took office there was a $127 billion surplus, and now we are left with a deficit that is expected to top $500 billion this fiscal year.

George W. Bush’s environmental policy opens up national forests for commercial logging and pushes for domestic oil exploration in protected areas. His economic policy includes tax breaks for corporations who move their operations overseas. Meanwhile, drug and insurance companies were the primary beneficiaries of the 2004 Medicare bill, instead of our nation's seniors. And in Iraq, Vice President Dick Cheney's old corporation, Halliburton, has been awarded an exclusive contract to help rebuild infrastructure.

The past 4 years have been a binge of tax cuts for the nation's millionaires and billionaires while job losses bring back memories of the Herbert Hoover administration. There are nearly nine million Americans without jobs and under the Bush administration, more than three million jobs have disappeared.

Where to begin? Perhaps with the promises of “No Child Left Behind,” the president’s AIDS initiative in Africa or his plans to expand AmeriCorps, all of which were promptly under funded, or maybe with his promise to clean up carbon monoxide poisoning. Or maybe even his promises to cut taxes while keeping a big surplus in the federal budget. So many broken promises, it's hard to know where to begin.

The funniest thing, his speech he gave at the RNC, sounded like he hadn't had the last 4 years in office. We will do this and that, well why in the hell haven't we done any of that yet?

"I want to be invisible. I do guerilla warfare. I paint my face and travel at night. You don't know it's over until you're in a body bag. You don't know until election night." -- Ralph Reed, top adviser to the Bush/Cheney Campaign

I've been thinking about Ralph Reed's old quote from when he was executive director of the Christian Coalition (yes, ironies do abound) while watching all the moderate speakers featured at this year's Republican Convention. What do that good Christian boy's dark violent fantasies of painting his face and putting his opponents into body bags have to do with all those moderate sounding Republican speakers? It's at the core of the way Reed and Karl Rove do business.

Just a few, I don't think we lose either way really. Someone will have to take the job. I've seen four years of bush and i'm not impressed, for all i know four years of kerry could be worse. But i'm willing to take that chance. If kerry wins and this country continues on its downward spiral I'll be the first to admit i made a mistake. But just as the 2000 elections, this one will be close, but will not polarize the country any more than it already is. Nothing will come of it. People for the losing party will be dissapointed, but I seriously doubt the country will split and divide any more than it already has...

ShadowFox said:
Things were much worse in the 60s.

Anybody here hoping for a second American civil war will be sorely disappointed.
Awww. And those John Titor believers were so looking forward to one too.

Yeah, it wont matter. Both are part of the conspiracy. The New World Order is coming... And soon the reptilians will pwn us all!!!
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

dawdler said:
Yeah, it wont matter. Both are part of the conspiracy. The New World Order is coming... And soon the reptilians will pwn us all!!!
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Oh jebus not the reptilians :dork:
On a side not, what the hell are you talking about? (reptilians) :D

Innervision961 said:

The reptilians rule the World. don't you know ? :bonce:

Either way, I'm not talking about getting more polarized. I'm talking about the consequences of polarization.

I think polarization is good. It is the first step to remove voter apathy that is currently plaguing the United States. A deep polarization between two parties may also trigger a third party being born - a compromise between the two ideals. In that case, the citizens of the US will benefit by having yet another party vote for.

I think nothing bad can come from this.

If you notice, the majority of polarization on this forum is from people outside the United States. If Bush was elected, nobody in the US would start a riot. The same goes for Kerry. Granted it would be discussed in great detail, but no violence or mass uprising would come from this. Of course, outside the US is another deal.

blahblahblah said:
I think polarization is good. It is the first step to remove voter apathy that is currently plaguing the United States. A deep polarization between two parties may also trigger a third party being born - a compromise between the two ideals. In that case, the citizens of the US will benefit by having yet another party vote for.

I think nothing bad can come from this.

If you notice, the majority of polarization on this forum is from people outside the United States. If Bush was elected, nobody in the US would start a riot. The same goes for Kerry. Granted it would be discussed in great detail, but no violence or mass uprising would come from this. Of course, outside the US is another deal.

lets hope your right.

Innervision961 said:
Well according to Icke, nearly every President of the US (including Bush) have the same bloodline, which dates faaaar back (originated with the Illumati), and its deeply rooted in the british royalty, its primary leaders today... And it so happens this bloodline is half reptilian half human after an ancient crossbreed (we regulars have more human and less reptilian), being able to shift between the two. They rule just about every part of the world. They just need a reason to make us slaves. Create a problem (terrorism anyone?), give the solution... For example microchips to control us.

Its a conspiracy people...

clarky003 said:
lets hope your right.

Voter participation is around 33% for all eligible voters. The fact is most don't care about the US government. On top of that, the voting group from 18 to 25 has the lowest voter participation of all the other age groups.

That number is disturbing when I can actually vote from the comfort of my own home (thank-you absentee ballot). With any luck, voter turnout should be higher than the last presidential election

For the US to have a Civil War, several things must happen

1) A deeply divisive issue must present itself. I doubt foreign policy is enough to trigger that. Civil war causing issues almost always have their routes in domestic policy.
2) A complete failure of the US government's check and balances. This includes removing the presidents 4 year term limits.
3) Having the same issue at hand for more than a decade. Another 4 years isn't enough to cause a civil war.

The US having a civil war is nearly impossible. The President of the US only represents one branch of the government (the weakest branch if I must say). If people really disagree with Bush, they would vote for a different president and different Congressmen.

So neither Bush or Kerry should win right? That leaves only one option: vote Nader!

PvtRyan said:
So neither Bush or Kerry should win right? That leaves only one option: vote Nader!

who the hell is Nader?

He's this big dude with a black helmet and cloak and a deep voice, that likes to kill Jed-

Oh, sorry. My mistake.

IM GOING TO VOTE....

oh wait im not American
My dad always says "Whats bad for America is good for us, therefore i am a Bush supporter"

Ghost Freeman said:
What the **** has John Titor done to you people?

John Titor was a hoax. And I only presented the future possibility of Civil War, I don't think it's reallly something that can happen.

The truth is the World is following along. We all know what will happen after the elections. It doesn't matters who wins, is it Kerry or Bush. Mass protests, accusations of fraud, and possibly even violent clashes. Families divided perhaps, because of one vote.

Whoever wins. We lose.

These were my thoughts exactly. I did'nt want to quote all the information you posted, but its absolutely correct.

So...lets...do something about it. :D

If we just all voted for Nader, I agree the World would be better off. But otherwise he doesn't has a chance. (and if Nader doesn't wins, I'm all for Kerry).

Back