Why Bill Murray regrets the Garfield movie

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
lol this is hilarious:

Funnyman Bill Murray regrets lending his voice to animated film Garfield to work with his idol, comedy writer Joel Coen - because he realized too late the part was written by a different Joel Cohen.

The actor admits he jumped at the chance to play the fat cat in the 2004 live-action film, loosely based on the Jim Davis comic strip Garfield - when he thought one half of the Oscar-winning Coen brothers filmmaking duo was attached to the script. However, he didn't realize until it was too late that another writer with a similar name had actually worked on the screenplay - and it wasn't funny.

Murray tells GQ magazine, "I thought it would be kind of fun, because doing a voice is challenging, and I'd never done that. Plus, I looked at the script, and it said, "So-and-so and Joel Cohen.' And I thought: 'Christ, well, I love those Coens!' They're funny. So I sorta read a few pages of it and thought, 'Yeah, I'd like to do that.'"

"Finally I went out to L.A. to record my lines... and the lines got worse and worse. And I said, 'Okay, you better show me the whole rest of the movie, so we can see what we're dealing with.' So I sat down and watched the whole thing, and I kept saying, 'Who the hell cut this thing? Who did this? What the f**k was Coen thinking? And then they explained it to me: it wasn't written by Joel Coen."

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2010/07/19/bill_murray_regrets_garfield

I saw Burn After Reading. It pained me.

Burn after reading, garfield AND no country for old men pained me :|

Garfield was not written by Joel Coen, it was written by Joel Cohen who is a completely different guy that had nothing to do with No Country for Old Men or Burn After Reading.

Both of which are excellent movies by the way, although Burn After Reading is one of the weaker Coen movies.

He mentioned regretting Garfield in the move Zombieland as well :)

Back