Why HL2 is made in c++?

chuawenching

Reaction score
Ok, i like to ask why here and there.

I do believe you guys know about .Net!

.Net simplifies a lot of troubles in c++ and handle the memory more efficiently with Garbage Collection...

I don't want to go into too detail..

I just want to know (as if i had no idea of programming), why Half Life 2 is made in c++?

Shouldn't they move into a better technology like c# or even managed c++.net!

Everywhere i see and claims that c++ will last longer and will never die.

If Half Life 2 is coded in c#, i think they can produce faster.

Duration of Half Life 2 in c++ = 10 years (example)

Duration of Half Life 2 in c# = 5 years or less

Well, again why not newer technology? Not .Net maybe Delphi...

Thanks.

C++ is a well established proggraming language, its pretty easy to pick up, learn, and apply.
its tried and true.. the industry is basically based around it.
theres no need to change.... you have to think not only as a games developer, but as a modder.. as someone who might want to pick up your game and fiddle around with it.
C++ is where you want to be.

I'm not a programmer but I can tell you;

no game sits on my system for even 5 years without being either removed or at least reinstalled.

hmm.. yeah maybe.. i do wonder, maybe half life 2 programmer using the vs.net editor to code the unmanaged c++

Hmm.. i am guessing.. no idea!

C++ is a well establish programming, easy to pick up (you serious)

I would think c# is easier coz you don't have to think of pointers.. in c# you can ignore (unsafe).

Pointers kill everyone.. in c#, i would let GC handles everything for me.. hehe!

Well i think there are also many .net people out there, if the whole industry move into .net, why modders can't know .net?

Same to how those modders learn c++ (they are born with c++ skills).

Thanks for the comments.

Kincaid, does that related to my topic? Hmm? maybe my understanding of english is not that good...

:)

well see I mean in the big picture C++ is just used extensively in so many products, it only stands to reason that one wouldnt incorporate a little known/completely new code base for an already ambitious project.
I hear what your saying about giving new and more funtional (etc) languages a chance, but it doesnt make sence in the dollar bill to effort and ease of use ratio.

think of it this way.
because you use *** language, do you want thousands of other programmers that might consider toying with your game (or even being hired) to pass you up, because they A. dont know the language or
B. dont care to learn it
or even
C. pass it up to join / work on another project that they are familiar with the code base.

its great to be innovative, and introduce new technology.. it is however frivolous to create/use entire new programming language just because "it should be new"

Originally posted by chuawenching
Kincaid, does that related to my topic? Hmm? maybe my understanding of english is not that good...

:)

Yeah I'm talking about the duration of life in the code not being an issue really. Doubt anyone would get away with that long without reinstalling at some point.

Shouldn't they move into a better technology like c# or even managed c++.net!
Everywhere i see and claims that c++ will last longer and will never die.
If Half Life 2 is coded in c#, i think they can produce faster.

Those 2 languages Net. and C# are better in some ways as C++ for coding different kind of applications. But when it comes to gaming C# is no where near it. Net. is slowly picking up, but for now C++ is always the way to go if you going to make a game like HL2, or Doom3, or Max Payne 2 or CoD, etc. ;)

Originally posted by Mountain Man
.net, isn't that more of Microsoft's proprietary bullshit?

Yes, yes it is. The shit of a bull. And it's bullshit that's been there on the ground for a while. So it has some insects taking up roost. Real disease-infested. Thus is the proprietary nature of MS.

Wow, we got an expert on .NET, don't we? How about you STFU, you illiterate asshole?

I'm playing around. Christ, looks like that bullshit got into your cornflakes this morning. Relax.

I don't understand some of you, if you really hate Microsoft, why are you using Windows? "Isn't windows Microsoft's poprietary OS bullshit?". Cause HL2 is coming out for Windows, believe it or not.

Heck, even Gabe himself works with Microsoft for some years. Does that make you hate Gabe and his company Valve? Think about it. Hey, who knows Valve someday will be as successful as Microsoft in the game industry? Will you HATE valve then? Educate me since I obviously don't know how and why you think of Microsoft that way.

I thought the game had been in development for 5 years, which means they would have started developing it in C++. Porbably not very easy to start using C# all of a sudden half way through.

I think it's we're 'battle-hardened' from the past. Windows95 was utter shit. They released 3 different 'patched' versions and all were shit. Stable as nothing. User-friendly my left ass cheek. Etc.

Windows98 wasn't much better. More user-friendly for point and click functions but still not stable.

Still three revisions of that. Win98, Win98SE and WinME. All sucked for the most part.

WinXP has been the only thing that can touch on stability and reliability. You'll still find areas that are utterly full of shit in WinXP. But for the most part it's good.

That's why I say it's still the past creeping up.

Originally posted by English
I thought the game had been in development for 5 years, which means they would have started developing it in C++. Porbably not very easy to start using C# all of a sudden half way through.

Even if they had an option to choose from C++ or C#, im more than certain they would go with C++, no doubt about it
Cheers ;)

was .net even out when they began production on HL2 back in 98, no. hence they are using c++

Well, again why not newer technology? Not .Net maybe Delphi...

Are you kidding me man. How many great, nooo even good, how many good games have you seen writen in Delphi and been published and had any kind of sales?! Come to think of it i know none. Jeee..... Delphi, lol
Hey, how about QBasic (no offence man)

why u chatting shit for ?... who really cares what language they have used ?... as long as we, the end user, can play the god damn game, we don't care ?

Originally posted by Bullet_Proof
why u chatting shit for ?... who really cares what language they have used ?... as long as we, the end user, can play the god damn game, we don't care ?

That's not an issue man. If you're so literal about it than why are you even on a forum? As long as you can play the god-damn game why have need to 'chat shit' on a board?

It's a thread about coding language. Which isn't bad at all in the status of this game and every other thread's topic....

Originally posted by Kincaid
I think it's we're 'battle-hardened' from the past. Windows95 was utter shit. They released 3 different 'patched' versions and all were shit. Stable as nothing. User-friendly my left ass cheek. Etc.

Windows98 wasn't much better. More user-friendly for point and click functions but still not stable.

Still three revisions of that. Win98, Win98SE and WinME. All sucked for the most part.

WinXP has been the only thing that can touch on stability and reliability. You'll still find areas that are utterly full of shit in WinXP. But for the most part it's good.

Allow me to change some words...

I think it's we're 'battle-hardened' from the past. Half-Life 1.0.0.1 was utter shit. They released 100 different 'patches' and all were shit. Good as nothing. Hacked my left ass cheek. Wallhacks, cheats, speedhacks, Etc.

Half-Life 1.1.1.0 wasn't much better. More cheat-proof for short and few days but still not good.

Still 100 revisions of that. hl1001, hl1005, hl1010, ... hl1110. All sucked for the most part.

Steam has been the only thing that can touch on reliability and integrity. You'll still find areas that are utterly full of shit in Steam. But for the most part it's good.

How's that? :p

what was wrong with the patches? all the patches they released made improvements, maybe not so much on the game, but defininately on the MP side of things. its impossible to make a game cheat proof, hence the introduction of VAC. VAC has now been taken over by steam, as they can now modify certain areas on the fly

fez, just trying to figure out how Kincaid thinks about patches if you read our previous posts. I have no objection in patches, since they improve software over time.

Wow, I am utterly impressed by the vocabulary of you people. I think English is quite a nice language, but this is just grim, sorry people, but a few of you need to refresh their language skills, and I am not referring to those who make grammar mistakes. But swearing 10 times in a single sentence that's not what this forum needs.

anyway..C# will be slower than C++ due to all those garbage collector & stuff. Thus not ideal in game programming..in fact some games are still written in C

Originally posted by quaint
anyway..C# will be slower than C++ due to all those garbage collector & stuff. Thus not ideal in game programming..in fact some games are still written in C

Thank you. There we go, at least someone agrees with me. :cool:

Originally posted by Gaemon82
Wow, I am utterly impressed by the vocabulary of you people. I think English is quite a nice language, but this is just grim, sorry people, but a few of you need to refresh their language skills, and I am not referring to those who make grammar mistakes. But swearing 10 times in a single sentence that's not what this forum needs.

Whew only 3 'shits' in my above posting. I'm clear. This is a public board and should be commended for not trying to condemn freedom of speech. If internet etiquette in the form of moral speech means a lot to you expect to be disappointed at every turn on the Internet.

Whew only 3 'shits' in my above posting. I'm clear. This is a public board and should be commended for not trying to condemn freedom of speech. If internet etiquette in the form of moral speech means a lot to you expect to be disappointed at every turn on the Internet.

Just look at your posts in this thread and then look around. This is a very good forum and a lot of people try to express themselves in an apropriate manner, but hey, I guess your vocabulary is very restricted, so 'shit' has to replace the words you do not know.

Just look at your posts in this thread and then look around on this forum. This is a very good forum and a lot of people try to express themselves in an apropriate manner, but hey, I guess your vocabulary is very restricted, so 'shit' has to replace the words you do not know.

You're the same way as him. Lighten up.

And you can delete a double post.

If people want to swear, they can...

Swear words help emphasise certain aspects of speech (anger, humour etc.). Don't be so patronising with your "replacing the words you do not know" comments. Fair enough certain words may be classed as offensive but I don't see that here.

Personally I find your judgemental comments more offensive.

Yes, yes it is. The shit of a bull. And it's bullshit that's been there on the ground for a while. So it has some insects taking up roost. Real disease-infested. Thus is the proprietary nature of MS.

:dozey:

Originally posted by pHATE1982
Personally I find your [Gaemon82] judgemental comments more offensive.

comments are viewed subjectively, not objectively. Hence the reason why some people can view it more or less offensive than others.

Also hence why multiple choice answers compared to essay answers are the most consistent and easiest to grade for teachers. :)

Back