Why is game called "Half-Life"??

justmatt

Reaction score
I was just thinking to myself, why is this game called Half-Life? I know Half-Life is a scientific term and the game has scientific elements, but beyond that I wonder if there's some kind of reason for calling the game this one term that we haven't seen yet. Here are some definitions to get your brains going:

half-life (hflf, häf-)
n.
Physics. The time required for half the nuclei in a sample of a specific isotopic species to undergo radioactive decay.
Biology.
The time required for half the quantity of a drug or other substance deposited in a living organism to be metabolized or eliminated by normal biological processes. Also called biological half-life.
The time required for the radioactivity of material taken in by a living organism to be reduced to half its initial value by a combination of biological elimination processes and radioactive decay.

half-life
n.

The time required for half the nuclei of a specific radionuclide or radioactive substance to undergo radioactive decay. Also called physical half-life.
The time required for half the quantity of a drug or other substance deposited in a living organism to be metabolized or eliminated by normal biological processes. Also called biological half-life.
The time required for the radioactivity of material taken in by or administered to an organism to be reduced to half its initial value by a combination of biological elimination processes and radioactive decay. Also called effective half-life.

Function: noun
: the time required for half of something to undergo a process: as a : the time required for half of the atoms of a radioactive substance to become disintegrated b : the time required for half the amount of a substance (as a drug or radioactive tracer) in or introduced into a living system or ecosystem to be eliminated or disintegrated by natural processes <the serum half–life is about 2 days —Journal of the American Medical Association>

n : the time required for something to fall to half its initial value (in particular, the time for half the atoms in a radioactive substance to disintegrate) [syn: half life]

Some interesting possibilities. The radioactive definition makes me think of how Black Mesa was nuked.

Not sure, the entire half life 2 plot is dependent on science, which comes through with flyign colours, and may i say they're doing a dam fine job of it as well.

Its either something along the lines of scientific, or, just a name, i am edging towards scientific :)

Because it sounds better than Quiver.

Valve were deciding on a name and they wanted it to reflect the fact it is a bit sciency. Someone said Half-Life and it sounded good.

Yes I think it is a reference to the decay of radioactive material, and Lambda signifies the decay constant.
But at the end of the day, it's just a name.

sure, but if you go off the deep end and overanalyze it to death, the "half-life" could be referring to gordon's freedom of choice, or lack thereof. half of his life belongs to him, but the other half is the g-mans. Buh buh bummm! or it could just be meant to sound sciencey and special.

Blue shift is also designed to be sciency

does anyone actually think blue shift was about the doppler effect?

Kingreaper said:
Blue shift is also designed to be sciency

does anyone actually think blue shift was about the doppler effect?

Yes. Blue shift is the name of Barney's post at work.

It is also the opposite effect of Red Shift.

Sid Burn said:
Hmm... bec. the game fits on that name... :rolleyes:

Okay, but how? Before you roll your eyes like my question is ridiculous, please explain yourself. Are you sure the only reason you're saying it's fits isn't just because....that's what the game is called?

It's a cool name. Did you want it to be called, "Science Strikes Back" or "Xen Invation". All HL games have scientific names, and many of the levels

Maybe it is refering to the fact that while the game is considered to have an incredible sense of 'place', of 'being there', yet it is after all only a game - only half of life.

Maybe they just wanted a cool name. Why not ask Laidlaw? He'd probably answer if it didn't reveal the plot.

All of the titles of the games have terms to do with science.

Half Life
Blue Shift
Opposing Force

...At least, I'm pretty sure Opposing Force has something to do with science.

Look at the chapter names for Half Life. All of them have to do with science (or most of them anyway). Opposing Force's chapters were things that were usually associated with the military. And I think Blue Shift's chapters had something to do with science....

DeusExMachinia said:
All of the titles of the games have terms to do with science.

Half Life
Blue Shift
Opposing Force

...At least, I'm pretty sure Opposing Force has something to do with science.

Look at the chapter names for Half Life. All of them have to do with science (or most of them anyway). Opposing Force's chapters were things that were usually associated with the military. And I think Blue Shift's chapters had something to do with science....

Yes, "Surface Tension" that was the most cunning name. Wish they had more Sciencey chapter names in HL2. They did have "Entanglement" though.

Didn't like the chapter name "Follow Freeman" but liked the name "Forget about Freeman".

Actually, thinking about it, HL2 chapters reminded me of a rebellion.

"Point Insertion"
"Red Letter Day"
"Follow Freeman"
"Anti-Citizen 1"

I liked all that 'Anticitizen One' stuff. Gave it a sorta 1984-ish flavour.

ok halflife is a mathmatical/sciency term that is the rate of decay of an radioactive substance and i am guessing they called it this because half-life origional was origionally based with scientific stuff

or maybe the halflife in the origional is intended to be interpreted by when gman puts you in the slowtime warp that is when the world has decayed to a point untill a new form of evil/ratiation emearges untill it decay the the process of Gordon freeman

kirovman said:
Yes, "Surface Tension" that was the most cunning name. Wish they had more Sciencey chapter names in HL2. They did have "Entanglement" though.".
Entanglement is good one... I assume Quantum Entanglement has a lot to do with the teleportation process.

half life

the time required for something to fall to half its initial value (in particular, the time for half the atoms in a radioactive substance to disintegrate)

I think Half-Life refers to the combines . Afterall , they are ''half life creatures '' . The other half is the mechanical life .

Hmm... maybe bec. in Half-life... danger lurks and half of your life is always on the grave.

Back