Widescreen or Fullscreen?

C

CoreyGH

We've seen widescreen screenshots and fullscreen screenshots and we've also seen pics of the game in Valve's headquarters running in both aspect ratios. So, this begs the question:

Which will show more of the game? Will the widscreen have a smaller vertical field of view with the same horizontal FOV as the fullscreen version (fullscreen shows more) or will the WS version have the same vertical FOV with a wider horizontal FOV than the FS version (WS shows more)? I hope it's the former; I'd hate to think I'm missing out on the intended experience by not owning a widescreen computer monitor.

I dont think Valve designed the game with the thought in mind that most of us have widescreen monitors. Plus its not a movie, so letterbox should make no difference from full screen imo.

CoreyGH said:
We've seen widescreen screenshots and fullscreen screenshots and we've also seen pics of the game in Valve's headquarters running in both aspect ratios. So, this begs the question:

Which will show more of the game? Will the widscreen have a smaller vertical field of view with the same horizontal FOV as the fullscreen version (fullscreen shows more) or will the WS version have the same vertical FOV with a wider horizontal FOV than the FS version (WS shows more)? I hope it's the former; I'd hate to think I'm missing out on the intended experience by not owning a widescreen computer monitor.

Widescreen shows more.

I'll play in widescreen even though i use a full size monitor

widescreen = megasuperfantastoawesome

either there'll be an option for wide screen, or the wide screen views were purely for cinematic flair.

Jackal hit said:
either there'll be an option for wide screen, or the wide screen views were purely for cinematic flair.
theres an option for widescreen

if there is an option for widescreen i'm taking it, the wide screen adds so much more cinema into the experiance and makes the camera angles all together look dramatic

Jackal hit said:
lol, yeah it takes after my goatee ...
what the hell are you talking about?

back on topic... as things are currenly, i don't think i'd take wide screen right now... i only have a 17" monitor. i think the widescreen is most effective (from what i've seen from working on a few diff monitor sizes) on 21" and up. of course this is just opinion.. but i don't like my view not having a large vertical size, so unless i get a bigger monitor i'm opting for normal size... although i DO need a 21" monitor for my art crap :|

There is definately an option for widescreen: maybe people at Valve have widescreen monitors. It's unknown, however, whether they will give a wider FOV or if they will have the same FOV but blown up with the top and bottom cut off.

Widescreen shows more than Fullscreen but unlike movies (which are ment to be shown in widescreen with content beyond the fullscreen boarders) Games are in your control so you shouldn't miss anything.
If they have widescreen, it's more preference than substance.

Widescreen shows more than Fullscreen but unlike movies (which are ment to be shown in widescreen with content beyond the fullscreen boarders) Games are in your control so you shouldn't miss anything.
If they have widescreen, it's more preference than substance.

well that's true but, i mean if your in a firefight with a bunch of combine and they're like hiding under crates and stuff and peaking over them, well it would be cool that you'd be seeing all this in a much more dynamic angle than if it was a standard full screen

True, that would be nice.
After all... your vision is more than just a square box but the part that is in focus and has your attention is in the center. It would be interesting what the game would look/play like if the game had focus and even depth of field.

I'd miss the upper and lower parts of the screen...
Full screen = greater view

I think ill stick with full, Thats what I'm used to.

Gabe has a widescreen monitor.
It would seem pretty stupid to have a widescreen option that doesn't increase the horizontal FOV. Otherwise you'd have to decrease the vertical FOV and you'd be waving your mouse up and down all the time to see the full height of anything. I don't think Gabe would have an expensive widescreen monitor and get nothing out of it but a reduced vertical FOV.

I would LOVE to play in widescreen, so much more immersive. But kind of pointless without a widescreen monitor. Must resist temptation to buy new monitor...

Who knows... I'll deftinetly give widescreen a shot, but the black bars might get annoying. or they might not, we'll have to see.

Spiffae said:
Who knows... I'll deftinetly give widescreen a shot, but the black bars might get annoying. or they might not, we'll have to see.

Same here. I'm absolutely a widescreen person when it comes to DVD's, but we'll have to wait and see in a game.

Probably play it both ways eventually anyway, I'm sure.

If you display widescreen on a regular monitor would it conform to the monitor and fit inside of it entirely, or would it just display full screen but chop of the sides (making it look wierd)?

I don't know if any of you have seen it but I clearly remember on several ocations seeing screenshots of computers with Apple cinemadisplays around valve or at valve events (like alcatraz 2003). I have to tellu those monitors have an amazing quality for whatthey are worth. i wouldn't be surprised if the G man himself (newell) had one on his personal computer.

He does have an apple cinema display, he's said it before. And I think I will give widescreen a chance, but if its distracting I'll switch back.

I'll have to play it and see what feels best. Letterbox may not feel right. If it gives a wider field of view then that'll be cool, but it might be the fake letterbox where the top and bottom of the picture are cropped.

cinema displays are HOT...the 23" hmm..hands down the best screen , and WS rulez, although like someone said here, WS is great for movies even on 4:3 TV but I wouldnt play game in WS on 4:3 monitor...

Back