Wii Release Date Announced?

Captain M4d

POWER OVERWHELMING
Reaction score
It appears that Nintendo has given us a big clue in their latest press release announcing their fall DS lineup.

The press release begins with this:
July 25, 2006 - The fourth quarter of 2006 will herald a new era for Nintendo with the launch of its remarkable new Wii™ home video game system. But that's not what this news item is about! How could that be, you ask? Perhaps the secret to the launch information for Wii is somehow encoded in the text of this news item. You might want to pore over it for a few hours before staying up all night to debate phraseology and comma placement with your friends online. Or maybe it's all just a scam to get you to read the other games we have launching this fall. One of the two.

Later in the post, they list the fall DS lineup:
Oct. 9: Clubhouse Games™
Oct. 16: Nintendogs™ (Dalmatian)
Oct. 23: Magical Starsign™
Oct. 30: Pokémon® Ranger
Oct. 30: Children of Mana®
Nov. 6: Elite Beat Agents™
Nov. 13: Yoshi's Island™ 2
Dec. 4: Custom Robo™ Arena
Dec. 4: Kirby™ Squeak Squad

At face value, there seems to be no clues, but Gaming Target definitely picked up on something:
There was no direct mention of anything Wii related, but Nintendo did include this cryptic line in their announcement: "Perhaps the secret to the launch information for Wii is somehow encoded in the text of this news item." And I believe they are being serious.

The fourth quarter begins on October 1. Now look at the list. At least one game is released every Monday in the fourth quarter except for the following dates: October 2, November 20 and November 27.

November 27 is after Black Friday, so it's out. November 20 is after the launch of the PS3, so that's out too. That leaves us with October 2.

The Wii will launch on October 2, you read it here first.

Yes, that's right. October 2. Could this be correct? It seems very plausible. I think this is it, folks. On October 2, the Wiimotes will clash.

Nintendo Press Release
Gaming Target's Analysis

Hahaha! Yeah, I don't know about this. It certainly could be true...but it could also be true that they saved Hitler's c0ck. Time will tell I guess...on both accounts. ;)

jesus, what a load of crap. Why not just go ahead and say the date. Or make it a cool hidden message, this one sucks balls.

I even read the page source...but I think the analysis has a good point. Here's the complete press release. It's worded so strangely with so many analogies that would otherwise be useless, it kind of hints at some secret code.

DID YOU KNOW? NINTENDO GAME OFFERINGS HEAT UP AS THE WEATHER COOLS DOWN

July 25, 2006 - The fourth quarter of 2006 will herald a new era for Nintendo with the launch of its remarkable new Wii™ home video game system. But that's not what this news item is about! How could that be, you ask? Perhaps the secret to the launch information for Wii is somehow encoded in the text of this news item. You might want to pore over it for a few hours before staying up all night to debate phraseology and comma placement with your friends online. Or maybe it's all just a scam to get you to read the other games we have launching this fall. One of the two.

As the weather cools down, the Nintendo portable game offerings heat up. FINAL FANTASY® V ADVANCE makes its way to Game Boy® Advance SP on Nov. 6. As series go, FINAL FANTASY is to video games what James Bond is to movies. FINAL FANTASY loyalists will enjoy an opportunity to debate which installment was best.

Nintendo DS™ owners are the big winners. Every week or so, another huge DS title hits, from the Touch Generations title Clubhouse Games™ to fan favorites like Elite Beat Agents™ and Yoshi's Island™ 2. Clearly a gamer's idea of paradise, here is Nintendo's upcoming DS lineup:

Oct. 9: Clubhouse Games™
Oct. 16: Nintendogs™ (Dalmatian)
Oct. 23: Magical Starsign™
Oct. 30: Pokémon® Ranger
Oct. 30: Children of Mana®
Nov. 6: Elite Beat Agents™
Nov. 13: Yoshi's Island™ 2
Dec. 4: Custom Robo™ Arena
Dec. 4: Kirby™ Squeak Squad

And, for Nintendo GameCube™ owners, The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess will be available for you this fall. An enhanced version also will be a launch title for Wii. That will all happen on … Oh look, we're out of space.

For more information about all of Nintendo’s upcoming titles, please visit www.nintendo.com.

From that gaming target page,
UPDATE: Walmart.com has several games for the Wii, including Avatar: The Last Airbender and SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature From the Krusty Krab, listed with a 10/2 release date.

edit-
This is why we have the Internets. So other people can waste their time and decrypt these weird things.

troof.

This is why we have the Internets. So other people can waste their time and decrypt these weird things.

ERASER QUOTED SOMEONE FROM THE FUTURE.

Sorry, always wanted to say that.. anyway, I'm going to go down to EB and see if I can pre-order one.

Fools. Nintendo aren't announcing anything official about the Wii until the Tokyo Show in September...

I woudln't bet on it. Afterall, we still don't even know the price, and no one is taking preorders yet. I'm going to bet it's at least late October, but most likely early-mid November. I'l go out on a limb and say November 6th will be the launch date for Nintendo Wii.

The EB near my house isn't even taking pre-orders until October, so yeahhhh, I call big shenanigans.

The EB near my house isn't even taking pre-orders until October, so yeahhhh, I call big shenanigans.

EB in town as taken pre-orders since E3 :p

Edit:

[Update: Clarified some of the post's wording. Iwata is likely to show up and give a speech -- there just won't be a giant Nintendo booth.]

Oh, didnt see that before. That might mean something interesting. They showed off the controller for the first time in the same way.

EB in town as taken pre-orders since E3 :p
Hahaha! Good luck getting one! :thumbs:

Many places aren't taking pre-orders til they have some remotely good idea of how many systems will be available for launch. This is to avaoid the crap that went down with the launch of the 360 in particular--Lots of pre-orders, much fewer systems than expected. Hopefully the people that finally do pre-order will actually be getting a system at launch instead of 3 months later this time around!!!

There was no direct mention of anything Wii related, but Nintendo did include this cryptic line in their announcement: "Perhaps the secret to the launch information for Wii is somehow encoded in the text of this news item." And I believe they are being serious.

This just proves that some people are completely immune to the phenomenon of TAKING THE PISS, which is what the author of this press release was clearly doing.

Not hiding a riddle beneath a cunning veil of taking-the-piss.

Just straight-up "taking the piss".

Hahaha! Good luck getting one! :thumbs:

Many places aren't taking pre-orders til they have some remotely good idea of how many systems will be available for launch. This is to avaoid the crap that went down with the launch of the 360 in particular--Lots of pre-orders, much fewer systems than expected. Hopefully the people that finally do pre-order will actually be getting a system at launch instead of 3 months later this time around!!!

Heh, I still havent placed my pre-order. I'm in the middle of moving to another town so I hope I can get myself on a list there.

Heh, I still havent placed my pre-order. I'm in the middle of moving to another town so I hope I can get myself on a list there.
Haha! Gotcha. Maybe get on the list (like they have in my town) of people to call when they will start to officially take pre-orders, then get your ass over there as soon as they call you. That will solidify your stance as an early adopter with little worry! Good luck!

Just because this doesn't deserve it's own thread I found the most recent Wii thread.

Kid predicts very-Wii sounding console and Super Mario Galaxy priced at $260... 15 YEARS AGO.

Another kid wants a Harvest Moon / Sims type game...Nintendo Power says it's a bad idea - no market :p

supermariogalaxy.JPG

Being in charge of ordering such things for my store, I'll simply add one more to the order for myself, as I did the 360. ;)

Whenever its out, im buying. Simple.

Back