Will ATI Radeon 9700 Pro be enough for HL2 ?

G

I have a simple question, will Ill be able to run HL2 at full/max detail with the following setup ? and if not, what should I upgrade ?

Win XP Pro SP1
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.00
Athlon XP 1700 @ 2.2GHz @ 11x200FSB
Radeon 9700 Pro
512MB DDR Corsair XMS PC3200
100GB HD

Thanks.

No, your computer is obsolete. Please turn the power off and exit your house through the window. Thank you.

[EDIT] - Tredoslop, Overclocking.

Originally posted by guinny
No, your computer is obsolete. Please turn the power off and exit your house through the window. Thank you.

[EDIT] - Tredoslop, Overclocking.
Your back!?

Ok, I guess this forum is also full or morons who have nothing helpful to say.

overclock

The 1700 has the great ability to overclock quite a bit. Same this the pentium 2.4c (mine is running stable at 3.2ghz)

Your 9700pro shoud be fine with that system I should think. I hope so considering I have the same and wont upgrade until the pci express boards come out.

I e-mailed a programmer at valve about the 9700 Pro and here is what he said:

I wouldn't bother upgrading the video card quite yet. . the 9700 Pro runs the game very well with all the options turned on.

So yes your graphics card is very good for this game

Yeah I got a 9700 pro. No way i'm upgrading. That should be well and truly enuf.

stop with those damn ****ing thread of shit! you guys are annoying damn seriously ... Gabe said the minimum system req is a 700mhz with a ****ing TNT so guys stop asking if you'regeforce 4 or ati 9700 will be enough for hl2 ... c'mon...

Re: overclock

Originally posted by RUBBERMONKEY
The 1700 has the great ability to overclock quite a bit. Same this the pentium 2.4c (mine is running stable at 3.2ghz)

Your 9700pro shoud be fine with that system I should think. I hope so considering I have the same and wont upgrade until the pci express boards come out.

Actually I had my 1700 running at 2.5GHz on air! but I reduced it for now due to the summer heat, but as soon as its cooler again Im going to bump it back up.

A Radeon 9700 Pro should be fine.... Basically I think the only major difference between the 9700 Pro and the 9800 Pro is about 10 fps (at least that's what benchmarks showed).

Originally posted by Tyl3n0L
stop with those damn ****ing thread of shit! you guys are annoying damn seriously ... Gabe said the minimum system req is a 700mhz with a ****ing TNT so guys stop asking if you'regeforce 4 or ati 9700 will be enough for hl2 ... c'mon...
Lolz.Whoa, Spaz-keep ur bubbles in ur bath there boi...
Yea, we noe that, but what if we want to play it to the max...:cool:

Originally posted by Tyl3n0L

Listen you salad tosser, you dont like what people type ?? dont ****ing read it you sack of shit, no one is forcing you, this is a message board and people will ask and discuss whatever they want.

I'm back, got a problem with that? Yes? Oh, too bad, deal, I'm here again. As for the original question, sigh...yes...your 9700 will run HL2 like a dream, as if you didn't know already.

they can discuss whatever they want ... but damn there like 56 000 other thread with this stupid question ...

Originally posted by Acidtrip
Listen you salad tosser, you dont like what people type ?? dont ****ing read it you sack of shit, no one is forcing you, this is a message board and people will ask and discuss whatever they want.
New to the forum?it´s always nice to meet inteligent and polite people from across the world

Originally posted by Lifthz
Yes, your PC will OWN Half-Life 2. Lol.

Thats all I wanted to know, was that so hard ? people getting bent out of shape for nothing.

I hope HL2 will run decently on a P4 3.2 GHZ 800 FSB overclocked to 4.8ghz using liquid nitrogen cooling on an Asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard, with 2GB of Corsair PC3500 XMS memory dual channel, 250 GB Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM SE x 2 (RAID 0), Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB card, and an audigy 2 platinum ex. I will just shoot myself in the face and rectal area if it doesn't, even though I don't have a system like that and can only dream of having a system like that.

TheDrizzle: lmao nice. BUT! im sorry to say with specs like that, your going to have to upgrade hope you have the money ;-/ lol these morons

Originally posted by Tredoslop
Not unless his Radeon 9800 pro isn't installed in his computer...

He doesn't need a 9800 Pro at all.

Thats all I wanted to know, was that so hard ? people getting bent out of shape for nothing.

Hmm, let me get this straight.

You want to know, if your pc, will run a game well, that isn't even out yet? How are we suppost to know how it will run when none of us have even played it :rolleyes:

Hmmm, lets see. The 9800 Pro is only faster than the 9700 Pro by about 2000 3dmarks. The 9800 Pro is the current top of the line card. Nah, I don't think your 9700 will be able to run hl2 at all. I mean, the developers go out of their way to make sure no one can play their game when it comes out.

idiots

No thats all you wanted to hear. If you did just a bit of researching you should know this pretty well, + it's the wrong forum dude.

Originally posted by Curator
Hmmm, lets see. The 9800 Pro is only faster than the 9700 Pro by about 2000 3dmarks. The 9800 Pro is the current top of the line card. Nah, I don't think your 9700 will be able to run hl2 at all. I mean, the developers go out of their way to make sure no one can play their game when it comes out.

idiots

Whatever. You don't know what you're talking about. Lol.

And 9800 PRO is beat by the Geforce FX 5900 Ultra overally so I don't know where you get that it's the most powerful card.

Originally posted by [[LuCkY]]
Hmm, let me get this straight.

You want to know, if your pc, will run a game well, that isn't even out yet? How are we suppost to know how it will run when none of us have even played it :rolleyes:
\

Because the information is available genius. Valve even says it themselves. And you don't even need a DX9 card to play it well either. Even a Geforce 4 would run HL2 well, minus the DX9 extras.

Originally posted by Lifthz
Whatever. You don't know what you're talking about. Lol.

And 9800 PRO is beat by the Geforce FX 5900 Ultra overally so I don't know where you get that it's the most powerful card.

1. Gabe himself said 9800 > 5900
2. 9800 > 5900, both in video cards, and mathematics.
3. 9800 has better IQ, AA, and AF, so idk where you got your info from, oh wait, maybe because NVIDIA never shut their cheats off, and when they did, they failed to even compare to 9800.

Does Half-Life 2, Doom III, STALKER, or FarCry go over 96 shader instructions per pass? Is that even possible in gameplay yet?

Basically just how Half-Life mods like Day of Defeat look so much better and require better hardware (I can run CS and HL fine, but DoD runs at about 4fps at 800x600), will mods come down the road that require much better hardware than a Radeon 9700 pro?

WhenHalf-Life 2 comes out I'll have a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64MB, which will play the game like butter at 1024x768. I do, however, want to see the DirectX9 effects, as well as enjoy Doom III that will come out later on next year(my guess). By the time Doom III is due out, I think the Radeon 9700 pro should be at my price range, and PCIExpress should be out.

I plan to buy a Radeon 9700 pro and hope to run Doom III and Half-Life 2(hopefully mods will be out by then, plus I'll want to replay the single player) at 1024x768 at full details... though AA and AF don't mean THAT much to me, but atleast a little AA won't hurt (2x) and a little AF (6x).

It has to last me until college, at which I'll be moving on to PCIExpress when that time comes.

Good plan, or should I try a 9800 for the unlimited shaders (that's what's bugging me, not so much the speed). I'd like to finally be able to learn 3DsMAX too, and I'm not sure if the 9800 pro will be a lot better for 3D modelling than a 9700 pro.

Originally posted by TheDrizzle
I hope HL2 will run decently on a P4 3.2 GHZ 800 FSB overclocked to 4.8ghz using liquid nitrogen cooling on an Asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard, with 2GB of Corsair PC3500 XMS memory dual channel, 250 GB Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM SE x 2 (RAID 0), Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB card, and an audigy 2 platinum ex. I will just shoot myself in the face and rectal area if it doesn't, even though I don't have a system like that and can only dream of having a system like that.

BWHAHAHA! god that was funny :LOL:

wait you can unlock the multiplier on athlon xp's? i thought this wasn't possible.... omg explain it to me, i have a 1700 too.. but never really overclocked much due to only being able to overclock the fsb.

Originally posted by worldspawn
wait you can unlock the multiplier on athlon xp's? i thought this wasn't possible.... omg explain it to me, i have a 1700 too.. but never really overclocked much due to only being able to overclock the fsb.

To get that high of a overclock you need to get the revision B Thoroughbred core. If you don't have the B revision, you're out of luck. Finding one now is pretty hard, it's mostly luck.

Athlon 2400+ and 2600+ are ALL revision B and you can easily overclock those to 2.3Ghz-2.4Ghz. :afro:

Originally posted by Curator

idiots

Like I said before, have nothing relevant to say ? then shut the **** up.

Originally posted by worldspawn

Hey dude, I have Athlon XP 1700B, I had it up to 2.5GHz (11x225) this past winter, but I set it back to 2.2 (11x200) due to summer heat.
When its starting to get cooler here Im going to set it back to 2.5GHz.
My Athlon XP1700 came unlocked, I bought it from newegg.com for 40 dollars, and I can easily say I got my money worth.

Back