Will I able to run "The Orange Box"?

Mellish

Space Core
Reaction score
My computer specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium Dual Processor (1.6 GHz)
2046 MB Ram
Radeon 2400 HD Pro

Just wondering if I should bother buying it. If it helps the frame rate I get in half life 2 is 30 - 110 fps. Also I have Windows Vista

Yeah. You might not be able to run on the highest settings but you should have any issues running on medium settings.

Thanks. I actually have it on the PS3 but I keep on getting disconnected during Team Fortress 2. I doubt this has anything to do with my internet connection since it is usually wired up by ethernet cable. And my broadband costs a lot to.

Yeah. You might not be able to run on the highest settings but you should have any issues running on medium settings.

Medium...?
He should be able to run the friggin' thing on High!

The Orange Box isn't particularly advanced in terms of graphics and quality, and my AMD 6400+, 2GB X1950Pro can run them all at 1920x1200 on high. I've only ever occasionally got a bit of lag on TF2, but that was only since I got my 24" monitor.

Sure, you won't be able to play Crysis with that processor, but the Orange Box should be perfectly fine to run in that environment. Have no fear!

Wait, is that a Core 2 Duo or just a Pentium D?

Pentium D. Also does medium settings on it still look good

Nope, no demo. Also could someone maybe post a picture of what it looks like on medium settings e.g. Half Life 2: Episode 2 or Portal. I'm going to download lost coast to give me a rough idea.

If you have the option of downloading lost coast that will give you a great idea of what it will look like. Don't quote me on this but I think Lost Coast is a lot more demanding than any of the orange box maps.

Also, you might even be able to run on high settings, I'm not sure. However, I can gurantee you will have no problems running on medium.

I downloaded lost coast and it works ok in high settings. Pretty shit frame rates but oh well. On medium it run's pretty good. Now let me just quote that.... lol just kidding.

If you have the option of downloading lost coast that will give you a great idea of what it will look like. Don't quote me on this but I think Lost Coast is a lot more demanding than any of the orange box maps.

Also, you might even be able to run on high settings, I'm not sure. However, I can gurantee you will have no problems running on medium.

umm no....where did you get that info from?

lost coast was only to show off the ep1 graphics. orange box graphics is a big step up.

I did the stress test on Lost Coast on highest settings. It said my average frame rate is 40. So is this good enough for it.

umm no....where did you get that info from?

I pulled it out of my ass based on an educated assumption. ;)

I don't remember them doing that many upgrades to episode 2. I know some of the lighting and HDR effects were changed but I don't think it will be that much different. Plus lost coast really pushed the ep1 engine to its limits.

I did the stress test on Lost Coast on highest settings. It said my average frame rate is 40. So is this good enough for it.

I think you are making this way too complicated. You can safely assume that it will run well on medium settings which hopefully answers your original question. Getting in to more detail than that is impossible to do accurately since we don't know a lot of specifics about your particular set up. So enjoy the game and let us know if you end up being able to run it on more than just the medium settings. Also, when I say medium that doesn't really mean much, you will be able to fine tune each particular setting to make it run smooth on your machine. For example, if you set your lighting effects to low you might be able to move texture high. Hope that makes sense.

40 fps is fine, especially in Half Life.

Outside of over clocking, id say be content. If you want more, spend some money.

Thanks. I'm not going to buy it right now since I'm broke. But thanks for the help anyway. :)

why not sell some crack and buy it today?

Back