Will I be able to get 4ghz+ with my 3.06 ghz?

Nex321

Reaction score
I'm buying this mobo: ABIT IC7-MAX3. I have heard that its one of the best OC mobo out there if not the best.

Will I be able to get 4+ ghz with it or do I need to have another cooler for that? I have 3.06 ghz Northwood p4

to get 4+ ghz you'll need something called LN2 or liquid nitrogen, and when you use that you cant use it for more than 2 hours.

you might be able to get 3.3 ghz or something with aircooling, and 3.5 or so with water.

Nope, they used something called a Vapochill, basically a compressor stuck on the cpu. That costs around 2000$ alone.

Nex321 said:
heh...

look at this site:

http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?rev_id=190&page=4&action=reviews

They managed to overclock from 2400 mhz to 4944 mhz with that mobo. With normal cooling they managed to 3624MHz, if I read it correctly.

They used a hand picked CPU. That means they specifically looked and found a CPU that is ideal for overclocking. The chances of your having an a CPU that is able to handle that much of an overclock is practically zero. On top of that, they used this bad boy to cool the CPU.

On top of that they used some really high speed RAM that you probably won't have in your computer.

You should also note that they took the CPU's voltage up to 1.9. That is a great way to kill your processor really fast. Not to mention the processor will have a much shorter life span if it doesn't fry itself.

Don't count on that much of an overclock.

Arghhh :(

I was excited to get that mobo but now.....I'm not buying it.....

ok, I have this to ask:

How good is Abit VT7? Is it better than MSI i845GE? With and without the overclocking ability and without AGP is it better than that board? Is it worth an upgrade?

Thats the questions :)

NO u will not 4 ghz is possible for only 3.6 ghz EXTREAM edition with air cooling..u probably get 3.4 ghz...if u lucky

please read my questions above your post, thank you :)

They're important right now since I need to decide if I should order Abit VT7 or not today.

Nex321 said:
please read my questions above your post, thank you :)

They're important right now since I need to decide if I should order Abit VT7 or not today.

lol srry didnt read that ..and yes i read about these mobos and i think abit has great mobos for overclocking if im not mistakin :afro:

alsso campatability is probably an issue make sure u got EVERYTHING compatible

My freind got his 3.0C to 3.9ghz on air, but thats the 800mhz bus version, yours is the 533.

MSI mobos don't seem to be good if you want to overclock. Abit and Asus are better mobos IMO. Also, Nvidia video cards seem to handle high FSB better than ATIs.

some guy at thsi computer shop told me that pentium 5's are coming out soon and they range from 4ghz-7ghz.

Darkknighttt said:
some guy at thsi computer shop told me that pentium 5's are coming out soon and they range from 4ghz-7ghz.

HOLY F..ing SHIT!

Darkknighttt said:

Don't belive everything you hear.

Can't get to 7ghz without dual cores right now....not in any way that i remember anyways

Just DO what Blah blah blah says he knows what hes doing. :)

If you lookat some of the new alienwares you can get 4ghz processors. I think its for the liquid cooling ones, so Im guessing they just overclock it.

They said we would be at 10GHz by now, no really they did. :rolleyes:
They've been stuck around 3GHz for 2 years.

Asus said:
They said we would be at 10GHz by now, no really they did. :rolleyes:
They've been stuck around 3GHz for 2 years.

Yeah. If only the processor industry was as fast moving as the gfx card industry.

Kazuki_Fuse said:
Yeah. If only the processor industry was as fast moving as the gfx card industry.

Well they really dont need to be. The difference between the FX53 and a 3.2C is like 10fps with a 600$ difference! I really dont see 3ghz being slow anytime soon. More games and stuff are becoming GPU limited, so there is more demand for higher end graphics cards than cpus.

Back