Will my Steam key work with a retail copy?

wilka91

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a backup of my HL² preloaded files, but thought it'd be better if I made an "installable" copy of the retail HL² copy that a friend of mine is going to buy. And I was just thinking whether my Steam key would work with this copy.

yes
(now this is just filler so the forum will let me post....stupid rules)

wilka91 said:
I was thinking of making a backup of my HL² preloaded files, but thought it'd be better if I made an "installable" copy of the retail HL² copy that a friend of mine is going to buy. And I was just thinking whether my Steam key would work with this copy.

What steam key? I never got no stinkin' steam key when i bought mine. Where's my steam key? Where is it damn it!!!!

No, seriously, what steam key?

When you buy retail you'd need to make a steam account and enter the cd-key (I assume). The steam key == steam account

um your "key" is built into your steam account. you can play hl2 on any computer with steam installed, including a computer with HL2 retail installed, since it is installed overtop of steam.

so basically

u can format hard drive with hl2 STEAM version installed

then re-install hl2 RETAIL version onto the same account as ur steam version?

wtf now i dunt even know what the fk im talking about

:confused:

If u got steam account with hl2 in it u can go to any computer, download steam, write ur login and pass and start downloading hl2 in that computer too.. tho u cant play it without ur steam account.. so basicly... DONT LOSE UR STEAM ACCOUNT

There will be *no* key. I repeat: *no* key. The keyless ye shall be. Keys there are not. Where they are, I cannot say but with you they will never be.

So in the case of the original poster, he will:

1. buy off steam, therefore essentially purchasing an electronic key to HL2, tied to his steam account.
2. Backup the gcf files and a steam installer on DVD(s).
3. Put them in a fancy DVD case with one of the nice covers the kind internet people have provided.

Then when he reinstalls from the backup DVD he simply enters his login details for his account and is away.

Or with a retail copy:

1. buy off steam, blah blah
2. Format for some reason.
3. Install from mate's retail DVD under his steam account.
4. Up, up and away.

Back