Will the HL2 release date be broken by retailers like Halo 2?

Acert93

Reaction score
It seems some stores in the US have "accidently" begun selling Halo 2 before the release date:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/04/news_6112441.html

This makes one wonder if this will happen to HL2. The problem with HL2 is that even IF someone got it in their hands early, it seems there is a need for Steam activation. This seems like a handy way to prevent retailers from seeking an edge.

At least those who ordered through Steam get CS:S early :)

Hell yeah. We're all hoping like **** it gets broken!!

I dont know. If it does, it will be really close to the release date so it wont really matter.

i work at gamecrazy and we got our halo 2 today, and gamecrazy is part of hollywood video, and GC told us not to even break the seal on the box, but HV opened theirs and a guy came over and we played it for about an hour, its really awesome. but i still thikn hl2 will own it

Doesnt matter. Nobodys playing HL2 'till Nov 16th, 12am PST.

Fluke is correct, nobody can play until it is activated by valve.. cmon guys you should know this!

thats pretty gay, what about someone who just picks it up casually from the store goes home and tries to play and it says "you cant play".

they arent gonna be too happy if they have no idea why.

Even if someone manages to convice their manager to buy it early, when they take it home and install they still can't play it until the 16th, so this thread is a moot point.

ZEROarmy said:
Even if someone manages to convice their manager to buy it early, when they take it home and install they still can't play it until the 16th, so this thread is a moot point.

Good analysis...... I don't think this is correct. Why would valve say that they would unlock it early, if retail can't play it when they get it? They will obviously be able to.

i concur

about how noone will be able to play before 9.00am GMT +1 time 16th november

Why not? Everyone knows that the 16th is the release date. If a store opens early, they won't be changing the date. People shouldn't be buying it before the release date...simple.

I thought it was confirmed by several sources that if the street date is broken, Valve will release it on steam.

wether they do or dont, it dosent matter. hell its only 10 or 11 days. good things come to those who wait.

Well hell, if I can get it a few days earlier, I'll be happy :D Waiting is the hardest part! I could handle it knowing the game hadn't gone gold yet, reading news every now and then, but knowing the game is iminent... it's torture! :(

its pretty tough alright. im enjoying this though, good to have something to look forward to. most games these days are crap, this will be different.

We all know that a store is going to break the release date somewhere....so...we'll probably be able to get our steam HL2 activated early!

(That's probably wishful thinking, but again we have another reason to buy through steam).

Black-Falcon said:
EB Games' site says November 15th not the 16th.

Thats when they ship the game from their warehouse to be in stores or in peoples hands on the 16th. Luckily I preordered for in-store pickup.

We should really hope that some stores break the street date, sell a few days early, and that Valve indeed unlocks the Steam copies then. Remember, they're not allowed to release the game on Steam before retail by VU, but if someone breaks the street day, nothing prevents Valve from unlocking.

Wouldn't it be great if you boot up Steam on, say, 13th, and see HL2 unlocked because someone broke the street date :)?

Someone make some fake covers so it looks like the streetdate has been broken... :)

Prone said:
Someone make some fake covers so it looks like the streetdate has been broken... :)

Actually, that can't be that hard...

Prone said:

How would that work? The way I would think VALVe would if out if it was broken is if someone tried to activate online.

Back