Will you buy HL2 straight away, or wait for the reviews?

Z

zwingly

I was just thinking to myself, will all of you lot be rushing out to buy this as soon as it comes out, or will you wait until there has been a review of the game? Or would you not even read the review itself?

Many times I have had gaming experiences somewhat spoilt due to the fact some clumsy reviewer has made a gaff in regards to showing too many screenshots, or shots which show plot spoilers.

Isnt it far better to actually experience firsthand the game without much knowledge of what one may encounter within the game, wouldnt that prove more enjoyable, rather than reading about feature X and its excellent implementation, wouldnt it be better to discover yourself?

One of the reasons why I enjoyed the first game so much is due to the mystery surrouding the game. I didnt know much about the story and had only read one review of the game, which was very careful not to reveal spoilers, though did contain a few shots which perhaps dampened some surprises.

I believe Valve have made the right choice in regards to withholding a lot of info regarding the game. But all of this goes out of the window when the reviews start popping up and people have completed the game.

To anyone from the UK, I also posted this on the UK PC Gamer forums. Check it out if you're interested in seeing some different views. In fact our international chums can have a gander too!

PC Gamer Forums

I'll buy it when it comes out on store shelves in Dec '04.

buy it straight away. even if the reviews are bad and the game doesnt deliver as much as hoped for story wise(which prolly wont happen) there will still be the loads of mods which will def be worth playing. just hope i dont get into a situation where ill be finishing hl2 and doom3 simultaneously. gonna need to keep away from all forums too, ppl will be giving spoilers left right and center without even a warning.

i bet my left leg, and yes, even my left testicle that everyone on this forum will be buying the game straight away, or if you have a 9800 xt (like me :D) you will be downloading it....

what is there to think about? Of course you should buy it straight away. If the main game sucks(which it won't) imagine all the mods. It's a guarunteed success in that department.

I'll buy it BEFORE it hits the stores! Who's with me? Anyone for a covert warehouse break-in?!

..I said buy, well, I suppose I'll just leave $50 where the stolen game box is

I cancelled my preorder because I'm going to wait now till the reveiews are in. I'm still very excited about HL2 but there are a lot of other decent shooters coming out this year too.

I would buy it right away. Even if the reviews sucked I would buy it.

If I didn't wanna buy it right away, why would I be posting here?

It's just one of those things you buy right away, no matter how good/bad it is. Like a new CD from your favorite band or something ...

5 finger discount as soon as it comes out, i've been way too hyped to doubt it

I'm all over it, and I won't let the guy at the register scan that box unless my hand is firmly gripped onto it!

Seeing as I've had my pre-order since July and I've had money saved up all last summer, I'm thinking... as soon as it comes out. God, it's going to be hell for my GF when I get ahold of this game.

Shuzer said:
I'll buy it BEFORE it hits the stores! Who's with me? Anyone for a covert warehouse break-in?!

..I said buy, well, I suppose I'll just leave $50 where the stolen game box is

omgzors!!!!! we have discovered the hacker!!!! :eek:

:LOL: im goin with ya :p

Dr. Freeman said:
omgzors!!!!! we have discovered the hacker!!!! :eek:

:LOL: im goin with ya :p

anon didn't leave money, though!

Anyhow, for my serious answer, I'll go to the store the weekend (or sooner) it comes out.. I don't like preordering games online as much as buying them in an actual store, for some reason (besides, you can get it a day before it gets to your house if you were too cheap to pay for faster shipping)

I'll wait for the reviews. Games are expensive in Australia, too expensive to waste money on a crap game.

I would give the game a 10 out of 10 rating if all I saw was the valve logo with the valve in the guys head and that weird sound effect/music that plays then the hl2 loga. Of course as soon as it comes out!

Yeah I know what you mean EC. I already warned the GF that she'll never see me again when HL2 comes out. Now that I think about it I actually convinced her to preorder me HL2 last christmas, ironic how she payed for her own downfall

There is no way in hell that im going to wait. I've been checking websites like this one religiously since that first day when the leaked scans from the magazines started popping up online. I will be in that store waiting for the shipment to get in. I also plan on buying the collectors edition. I remember on the day I went in to buy Max Payne II I had to come back to the store a couple hours later, b/c the shipment wasnt in when I showed up at 10 when the store opened. I hope that wont happen with HL2, because all that I can think about is returning from the store, ripping the plastic off the box and playing that game for a month.....my gf is also going to be pissed.

I preordered way back in April of 2003. I didn't think it'd be a whole year before I saw the game.

I'll wait. There are few games that I get irrationally excited about like I used to. The only game I would probably buy sight unseen is Halo 2...maybe DNF.

Straight away, I will buy HL2 even if the reviews gave the game 5* out of 10* :thumbs:

Without reading the thread, only the thread title, I have but one response........DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.. of course I'll buy it right away. Might not play it right away, depends on if my comps been upgraded.

What are we here for?
Discuss HL2!
Anyone with something bigger than Zombie in their ranks mean that he's a fanboy so we'll probably say - straight away

Well its on pre-order with Gameplay.co.uk

It means I'll get it on the UK day of release (Perhaps even a day early! Woo!)

Sprafa said:
What are we here for?
Discuss HL2!
Anyone with something bigger than Zombie in their ranks mean that he's a fanboy so we'll probably say - straight away

The Best Post of the year. 98% PC GAMERS
The Best Post So far. 95% GAME ZONE

Nice one Sprafa. ;)

im going to drag my comp to the store plug it in then buy Hl2.

install and kick some ass.

then get arrested!

MIWojo11 said:
I would buy it right away. Even if the reviews sucked I would buy it.

Same here. I can't see it being so much different than HL1 and HL1 is still my top 1 or 2 fav games of all time.

Buy it straight away, even if the game sucks, we'll still have the engine for modding :cheers:

I'll be feigning sickness the day it hits the shelves (and probably the rest of the week as well) :E

Maim/Bribe/Mug/etc. Anything to obtain it on the day of release. You think I'm joking too, don't you? :hmph:

I'm skippin school that day so I can pick up my copy at 10 am. Assuming that I have school on the day it comes out, which I probably will. Then I'll sit at home all day and play it.

I'v pre-ordered it and if it doesn't turn up on the day it's released I'm going to break the persons legs who is resposible.

Back