Will you have to buy the Mods? or..

A

AMiTeK

I mean, if you have HL2 (with multiplayer support..) that you bought at the store,
will you have to buy, lets say.. TF2 Mod?
or, can you download the Mod (from a warez group)
and install it on your HL2,
and use it with your HL2 key that you bought to play online?

i think that mods like cs2 and dod2 will have to be bought

it's up to the mod-makers...

but most likely most modders will have the brains to figure out that charging people money for the mods aren't going to make them popular...unless they make something really good.

TF2 will NOT be a mod.... therefor you will ahve to pay for it..... unless you become a monthly subscriber in which case it will be free.

as for other mods..... its depends on who makes it..... mod makers will ahve the ability to charge you for the mod over steam... or they can give it away free. You MUST have the multiplayer enabled HL2 package to play the multiplayer mods however. Im sure you can upgrade at a later stage if you only buy the singleplayer originally though.

Kam

mod makers will ahve the ability to charge you for the mod over steam...

Hmm, interesting, didn't know that. I presume the mods which will be charged (very few, I presume), won't do so well as most people usually get their mods free, at least thats the way I see it.

so if u buy hl2 with multiplayer u wont have to pay monthly right :) ? And does the HL2 special edition come with SP, MP and special stuff?

hey if u only want to play tf2 or other upcoming standalone games(if they are going to make cs2 and dod2, i think they will make it standalone), just don't buy hl2, cuz u don't need hl2 to run those standalone game. For the warez people(i used to be warez supporter too), u may get the singleplay work, but just don't think u can play any valve product online. If someone can get a cd-key(or stuff alike) online for free, it will be shared by tens of thousand of people and that can only be one activation allowed at the same time, so there's not a way to enjoy a game. If u really like valve's upcoming products, save up money and buy u a legal version, unless u can steal it in the store.

for those who's still confused with the steam monthly payment thing, just go get urself the traditional version with sp + mp and free mods.

I will be purchasing the DVD special edition, if it comes out the same day as regular, in a store. If somehow I am misinturpreting Valve and I won't be able to play multiplayer, I would be pissed. But from what I understand, you can 1) Go to a store and buy the whole thing 2) Purchase just SP over steam 3) Purchase just MP

I am not sure though, I am getting so confused.

I will be purchasing the DVD special edition, if it comes out the same day as regular, in a store. If somehow I am misinturpreting Valve and I won't be able to play multiplayer, I would be pissed. But from what I understand, you can 1) Go to a store and buy the whole thing 2) Purchase just SP over steam 3) Purchase just MP

Ok, this has been explained over and over, but I'm in a good mood so I'll explain it again :)

1. You can buy just the single player from a store

2. You can buy the normal version (single and multiplayer) from a store

3. You can buy the special edition (single and multi with extra goodies) from the store

4. You can buy a subscription from steam which gets you singleplayer, mutliplayer, and any extra mods/games valve releases like TF2

yeah right tf2 is not a mod
look gunman chronicle is stand alone game based on hl engine.

3. You can buy the special edition (single and multi with extra goodies) from the store

4. You can buy a subscription from steam which gets you singleplayer, mutliplayer, and any extra mods/games valve releases like TF2

5. You can buy the normal full version on steam

6. You can upgrade the single player only version to full version via steam

7. The subscription only deals with valve products, not just/specifically half-life 2

8. Mods will be as free as they are now, though some large mod teams that put a lot of effort and money into producing a more professionally finished mod may wish to charge a small fee to allow you to play their mod

ITS NOT THAT COMPLICATED! :frown:

Originally posted by FoB_Ed
Ok, this has been explained over and over, but I'm in a good mood so I'll explain it again :)

Hopefully they'll mark which one is which, because it would be kind of bad to just buy SP and not have MP! :p

damn right its not, but then, so many people are still unsure and/or confused, it still needs stating every now and then :(

Here is the big question!
With HL1, you could play DoD and CS as mods, because that's what they were. The retail version used the same CD key as HL.

So... do you presume that TF2 will use the same CD key as HL2? Or will they make it so it actually is an expansion, like OpFor was, with a new cd-key?

DoD2 will probably not be a mod.

CS2 will not be a mod.

Valve owns them now. There will be new mods that you have never played before. Isn't that better anyways?

I wonder if some people will make a Tf2 "mod" for halflife based on what it originally was going to be like and release it for free?

Wesisapie, going out and buying TF2 will be like buying another game, think vampire masquerade. It will have what form of key you would provide for a new game, because its a valve game though, it will probably follow the same format as hl2's key.

lets hope cs is crap so i don't have to buy it :)

ROCK ON SVEN COOP!

wht are those goodies that you may get in the special version (example with other games?)

edit:
I wonder if some people will make a Tf2 "mod" for halflife based on what it originally was going to be like and release it for free?
that mod will be asked and invited to close . or else they will be sued for big bucks.

Back