Willing to spend 300$ Whay gfx should I get?

Reaction score
Hi all!
Ive been going back and forth between like 8 cards for that pask few weeks trying to figure out what to get. I figured Id best just wait till around christmas so ther'l be deals and Ill have more money. Ill probably just want to use around 300$ (US). Any reccomendations? I know ways to get cards cheap, so if there are ones like 350, that wouldnt probably be a problem for me. Thanks ahead! :)

Get a 6800 Nu for 275$ and unlock all the pipes and clock it to GT speed :naughty:

RussianEmpire, unlocking pipes is very dangerous, especially via software.

I would get the 6800 nu, If you where to get a 6800 gt you would probably be spending $400 after tax and because a lot of people are still price gouging.

6800 NU, X800 SE are your best bets. For this segment, wait a bit till we get some comparison benchmarks of the two. The X800SE is currently available on newegg, but performance is not known.

6800 GT, X800 Pro are more expensive and are going to be out of your price range. There is simply not enough supply to satiate demand. There is an Asus 6800 GT card for a lower price, stay away from that. It really is a 6800 NU in disguise.

Oh i didnt know that the x800 se was shipping yet. I heard about it a couple weeks ago but didnt think it was coming till november. I think the x800 se might edge out the 6800 nu just a bit. It seems like ATI and Nvidia are really focusing on the budget market this time instead of the high end 6800 ultras and x800 xt's.

i'd recommend the 6800 nu too, although i don't know about the x800 se. since rivatuner 15.2, about 50% of cards can unlock to 16 pipes/ 6 vertex units and atleast 80% can unlock one of the two. even if you don't, you've got a nice card for doom3/hl2.

h4vvok said:
My watercooled 9700 pro pwns you all lol
Aye

Considering that you don't know much about the X800SE...why pick your cards early. Could be the wrong one. :O

Cards is a double meaning. I was thinking like a deck of cards but graphics cards fit in that meaning too.

Unlocking the pipes isn't dangerous....

Worst that can happen is artifacts galore. You then reset the pipes you opened and you're back to normal. Thats what I did with mine, no after effects at all. I did get the vertex unit working just fine though.

For reference I have a BFG 6800nu

Back