Winamp: Can it be controlled while playing HL2?

omlette

Reaction score
Does anyone know a way to control winamp while in hl2?

Via console command or some 3rd party program/configuration, perhaps? I want to be able to pause/play/change songs/etc, adjust volume/etc.

I tried global hotkeys but it gave me errors, and the only "special" keys on my kb are back/forward/stop/mail/search/favorites/web/my comp/ calculator/sleep, nothing to do with music control.

Thanks so much for any responses. :thumbs:

omlette said:
Does anyone know a way to control winamp while in hl2?

informed one said:
Make a CD, and put it in your cd player!

You can control winamp by making a CD?

I've got these special buttons on my keyboard which work in HL2. If you don't have them there are a few extentions for Winamp that allow you to use a joystick or controller or something to control it, maybe if you hade a spare item like that you could hook it up.

I just set up some global hotkeys in this program here. I've not run into a game that wouldn't at least let me use the media keys error-free.

It's all personal preference but XMPlay's a lot leaner than Winamp - great for running behing games. Hell, I dont even have Winamp anymore; try it every once in a while but always go back to XMPlay.

I can play HL2 and play winamp at the same time and switch songs if I want to. I have hotkeys on my keyboard.

Yeah I've got keys on my keyboard that control winamp too. It's the only way to go. I can do a LOT on this keyboard, even run hl2 if I want with a single button. I heart logitech.

i have hotkeys that work fine, but also i can pause,start/stop, next song keys, volume up and down using control + alt and Insert/Delete/Home/arrow up/arrow down. Its all in the winamp hotkey options menu.

Btw while we are talking about winamp, when i play HL2 or CSS, it seems to speed up my music to double speed. The original games never did this, only HL2 and CSS. Its really weird, does anyone else know how to fix this?

Hectic Glenn said:
i have hotkeys that work fine, but also i can pause,start/stop, next song keys, volume up and down using control + alt and Insert/Delete/Home/arrow up/arrow down. Its all in the winamp hotkey options menu.

Btw while we are talking about winamp, when i play HL2 or CSS, it seems to speed up my music to double speed. The original games never did this, only HL2 and CSS. Its really weird, does anyone else know how to fix this?

My music gets jumpy when I have a lot of background tasks running. If your not using AIM, MSN, YIM, or ICQ, shut that down. Shut down pretty much everything under your username, except Explorer.exe, Steam.exe, HL2.exe, and winamp.exe

That usually works for me, although, I never use winamp while I'm playing HL2...

Back