Windows XP + ForceWare 158.22 = Half-Life 2 rendering artifacts / cold lock-ups

Wester547

Reaction score
My system specs happen to be:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Venice core)
1GB PC3200 dual-channel DDR-SDRAM
256MB G-DDR 3 GeForce 8600 GT (ForceWare 158.22)
250GB SATA HDD
Mirosoft Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2
Etc

Anyone else with a GeForce 8 series graphics card getting rather bemusing, yellow rendering artifacts, cold lock-ups, subsequent frame-rate drops, and a loading screen that is deterred permanently at 75% from select time to time? Whose still running XP and the latest drivers? (Thankfully, it hasn't taken some intensive thought to chalk it up to the drivers when I've seen it reported on other forums) If so, I'm imploring for a fix that would rectify the matter, if anyone knows one. It would be appreciated in full. I know the card isn't overheating - it runs Oblivion just fine (except when grass sliders are turned all the way up), though it has problems in some other games it's definitively the driver as I've seen the same errors reported on other forums. The only way to get it running without all the aforesaid is to run it through the DX7 fixed function Hardware T & L rendering path, which isn't very appeasing. This only occurs in Half-Life 2, Episode One, and Lost Coast, but not HL: Source or CS: Source. Very befuddling. The card isn't overclocked, by the by. Stock speeds - 540 MHz / 700 MHz respectively.

Anyone experiencing any of the aforementioned with a GeForce 8 series graphics card, Windows XP, and the latest ForceWare 158.xx series drivers? I know my card isn't overheating - it's stable in other apps.

Thanks for the help...

Those as Windows Vista drivers as far as I know. Latest XP driver is 97.43 or something like that I think.

Have you tried the latest xp drivers, 158.27? I'm running them now. No probs here.

Back