WIP: DM_ThingyThing

IZaNaGI

Reaction score
Hi, i recently (five minutes ago) registered here wanting to get a bit of feedback on my first HL2DM map, i dunno if im supposed to post this here but hey ... :)

http://www.btinternet.com/~robnik.molde/neonep5.jpg

as you can see its quite simply an arena set in a forgotten temple on an unknown planet. I built the map simply to re learn how to use the Hammer editor as i used to mod with Worldcraft years ago, since then though i have modded for Jedi Knight series.

Anyhoo as you can see its still pretty basic, but i have atempted to make the whole map from scratch including custom textures and a new custom skybox as seen here ...

http://www.btinternet.com/~robnik.molde/neonep4.jpg

The map is still far from finised, the textures need a lot of work and the brush work is still pretty basic but im enjoying learning the new features like the purdy wind effects, env_suns and especially 3d skybox's :D

anyhoo any feedback is welcome and i hope the map is half a success when its finished!

IZzy

Looks good, but you might want to sub-divide the outdoor areas with some buildings or something, because it's just soooooo big and open, ya know?

Also, is it possible to save the skybox textures as TGA instead of DDS? Is that what they are; DDS? Because you can see the lossy, chunky edges of the clouds, mountains and nebulae.

With lossless TGA format (24 bit since there's no alpha in the skybox), it will look much cleaner and nicer. (don't convert your skybox to TGA - you have to recapture the skybox from the graphics program and save it as a lossless format to begin with. Hopefully you still have the original lossless skybox saved already)

Also, if you use stars in the sky, you might want to make them teeny-tiny. Large stars are... well, you know :cheers:

Dario D. said:
Looks good, but you might want to sub-divide the outdoor areas with some buildings or something, because it's just soooooo big and open, ya know?

Also, is it possible to save the skybox textures as TGA instead of DDS? Is that what they are; DDS? Because you can see the lossy, chunky edges of the clouds, mountains and nebulae.

With lossless TGA format (24 bit since there's no alpha in the skybox), it will look much cleaner and nicer. (don't convert your skybox to TGA - you have to recapture the skybox from the graphics program and save it as a lossless format to begin with. Hopefully you still have the original lossless skybox saved already)

Also, if you use stars in the sky, you might want to make them teeny-tiny. Large stars are... well, you know :cheers:

Hi again, well to answer your first point the idea of the map is for it to be so open, its based on the old CTF maps of old, like Elite Force (I loved those map) Which were all open and promoted mass fragging, someone else did point this out at another modding site but to be honest in beta testing i have seen no problems in its current format. I'll look into adding some small structures though, its all dependent on FPS.

The chunky edges you pointed out are nothing to do with there file format, the program used to create the skybox can only save file images at a max of 960x960, i did up the image size to 1024x1024 but HL2 brings out minor details like that and emphasizes (SP?) the niggles so there isn't much i can do about it, especially seeing as my files ARE high quality .tga to begin with.

And the stars ... well i like em so :p

Thanks for the comments peeps anymore feedback is welcome and i'll post a few more shots when i have more time.

I love the sky(box), its great ;)

Look forward to a release so I can use it on my servers!

Back