Wireless Adapter Problem in Windows 7

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this is a recuring problem with Wireless Users or if its with a select few as I have seen similar problems (but not exactly the same) crop up in other forums, but my problem is with my Belkin F5D8053 v3 Adapter.

Once it has Internet connectivity, it only lasts for 2 minutes before cutting off and doesn't auto reconnect:
  • If I go into my Network Adapter Propeties and click ok, it reconnects, but then the same thing happens after 2 minutes roughly
  • If I troubleshoot the problem, it reconnects, and then after 2 minutes the same thing happens
I have applied the two manual troubleshooting techniques here

- Control Panel -> Network & Internet -> Network Connections
- Right-click on desired interface, and select "Properties"
- Click the "Configure" button on the interface properties
- Under the "Advanced" tab, look for power-saving related options and set to "Disabled"
- Under the "Power Management" tab, uncheck "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"
- Save & Reboot

and here

- Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power Options
- By the selected power profile, select "Change Plan Settings"
- In the "Edit Plan Settings", select "Change advanced power settings"
- Under Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode, set options to "Maximum Performance"
- Save & Reboot

Still the same problem

There is one that I haven't tried because I'm dubious, but sounds like it could lead somewhere. Can anybody support this claim?

- Regedit: HKLM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanSe… DWORD: autodisconnect = 0xffffffff
- (same thing as running "net config server /autodisconnect:-1" from command prompt)
- Save & Reboot

I was initially running Win7 on its own, but with the problem occuring I deleted the partition and created 2 seperate partitions, one with Vista and the other Win7x86 (64bit just doesn't want to know my drivers; currently waiting for Belkin to get off their asses)

As you may have guessed, my wireless runs nicely in Vista and I'm using the partition to actually communicate with you all (My dads computer just can't do anything at the moment.)

I have been doing some research on the net on Wireless Adapter support in Win 7 as I have yet to install mine. The common opinion on Amazon etc is that the Belkin range tend to disconnect frequently. The only way some people said they stoppped it was to not install the Belkin utilities and simply let windows use it to connect to the network, but your probably already doing this.

I've just bought this:-
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-PCI-G31-54Mbps-80211b-g-Wireless-PCI-Adapter-Low-Profile
simply because it has specialized Windows 7 drivers available for it, and the reports are it works flawlessly.

Yeah I have been to Belkin to see what they say. I haven't got official drivers so I have been using ones used for Vista. Not installing drivers will mean the adapter won't work unfortunately in my case.

Windows 7 users:
If you are using an older Belkin Networking product, you may not have support for Windows 7 with your current software. Please visit your product specific support site to check for updated Windows 7-compatible software for your product
Software updates will be posted as they become available. Please check back if your product is not currently supported.
Some updates may still be in the process of going through Microsoft’s official certification program. Although they have been thoroughly tested, they may present a warning message when the driver is being installed. These drivers will install on 32 bit operating systems but not on 64 bit systems, which is the normal and expected behaviour.
Even though your product may currently not be supported under Windows 7, it may very well work on it; in the majority of cases, software and drivers for Windows Vista will work on Windows 7 without a problem.

Its ironic that Vista worked fine for me, though slow, and yet I can't even get the fundamentals of Win7 to work (I thought better wireless functionality was one of the important things for microsoft)

it's the adapter's companies fault, they have bad drivers for the device.

Never mind. I would not recommend Belkin - not that they are terrible, just that they are neither good nor inexpensive.

Is it right in thinking people are having problems with netgear as well?

Actually, my statement had nothing to do with your problem.

Never mind. I would not recommend Netgear - not that they are terrible, just that they are neither good nor inexpensive.

This guy says it 'works' on Windows 7
BELKIN F5D8053 USB 2.0 N Wireless

Pros: Good signal strength
Easy to hook up
windows 7 compatible

Cons: This one con far outweighs all of the pros. It drops signal constantly. It basically turns itself off and you have to unplug it and plug it back in to turn it on. I would not recommend this adapter to anyone who plays games online or downloads while away from the keyboard. It's just too unreliable. If you only surf the net and getting disconnected isn't a big deal to you, then this adapter may be slightly annoying but still quite usable. I bought this at Staples after I found out that my old network adapter didn't have the drivers for Windows 7. I'm returning it tomorrow or the next day when the replacement that I ordered arrives.
17 reviews. 3/5 stars wow $70 for your Belkin.

I see about 30 wireless adapters for under $13-$30, and another 35 adapters going up to $70. I'll provide the list so you can do a bit of research if you want. I'm aware that you can't buy from newegg in the UK, but maybe you can find one that works in Windows 7 and order it somewhere else.

If you are lucky you can find one for $20ish that works and be done with it, or you can wait for Belkin.

Personally, I've been using a Motorola for a couple of years that we found in the trash, and it works perfectly. The Belkins and Netgears that I tried previously could never pick up a signal, though to their defense, I have a very terrible environment for wireless.

Also, I had to let windows do Wireless-Zero (or whatever it's called) control it, because the Motorola drivers would crash quite often... Like someone else said, you tried letting windows configure your adapter?

Back