Wireless Internet

Wanted Bob

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Lately I've been having problems with my wireless internet, and I was wondering if any of you could possibly give any advice (I'm running Windows Vista by the way).

Basically the wireless internet works properly most of the time. However, occasionally (I'm talking maybe 4-5 times a week for a couple of hours at a time) it seems to go through these strange periods where the connection is constantly dropping, yet the computer says I'm still connected to the network.

Originally I thought that this was an ISP problem, but both my housemates said they hadnt encountered this problem, so I started looking into whether there was a problem concerning my laptop.

I eventually found something that seemed out of place. In my device manager, I could see that one of my network adapters (Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter 2) was not launching (It said that it was failing to launch, error code 10). I checked to ensure the drivers were up-to-date, and then found out that reseting the IP/TVP stack and removing IPv6 should solve the problem. I didnt really know much about these components, so I used the "Fix it for me" programs that Microsoft provides. That didnt seem to change anything though, the Miniport Adapter still fails to launch.

So am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is this Miniport Adapter not launching causing these problems? Or does anyone know of something else that could be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not sure about all of that, but in case it helps...

Sometimes I get limited or no connectivity. I believe it is from interference.

fixq.jpg

generic Microsoft wireless configuration utility.

I change the value here. It doesn't matter which one (in my case), I just try a different one and it fixes it.

Back