Woman gets face transplant after losing hers to a shotgun blast

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
ewww egad this is uncomfortable

When Connie Culp heard a little kid call her a monster because of the shotgun blast that left her face horribly disfigured, she pulled out her driver's license to show the child what she used to look like. Years later, sporting the nation's first surgically attached face, she's stepped forward to show the rest of the world what she looks like now.

Culp's husband, Thomas, shot her in 2004, then turned the gun on himself. He went to prison for seven years. His wife was left clinging to life. The blast shattered her nose, cheeks, the roof of her mouth and an eye. Hundreds of fragments of shotgun pellet and bone splinters were embedded in her face. She needed a tube into her windpipe to breathe. Only her upper eyelids, forehead, lower lip and chin were left.

She endured 30 operations to try to fix her face. Doctors took parts of her ribs to make cheekbones and fashioned an upper jaw from one of her leg bones. She had countless skin grafts from her thighs. Still, she was left unable to eat solid food, breathe on her own, or smell.

Then, on Dec. 10, in a 22-hour operation, Dr. Maria Siemionow led a team of doctors who replaced 80 percent of Culp's face with bone, muscles, nerves, skin and blood vessels from another woman who had just died.

gives a whole new meaning to this conversation:

"do I know you from somewhere?"

"no, you're thinking of someone else"

o_O

and now the moment you've all been waiting for: pics before and after

1_61_facetransplant1_320.jpg

on the positive side, she's better off now than she was before and she has some measure of her old life back

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519033,00.html

She still doen't look amazing. It's excellent what PS can do to people though.

Marriage never works.

Even after a long life together of a supposedly happy marriage, the old man wants to find some way to dispose of the wife, and the wife wants to do the same to her husband.

She certainly looks leagues better than she did. I think the worst part is that people are so cold as to call her a monster.

Damn that little kid. Shoot him in the face and see how he likes coping in the world!

More images

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

HOW did she survive a shotgun blast to the face?

We still have quite a way to go when it comes to facial surgery it seems.

It seems to have went worse than Isabelle Dinoire (who lost her face to a dog):

dinoire_isabelle_CP_9456222.jpg

Culp's husband, Thomas, shot her in 2004, then turned the gun on himself. He went to prison for seven years.

This guy is terrible with a shotgun.

I read about this yesterday. She still may not look completely "normal", but I mean come on, before the operation she didn't even have a nose! Plus, the surgeons are going to work on her further in the coming months to reduce the bloating. Definitely very impressive work they've done.

This guy is terrible with a shotgun.

Yeah, I thought that exact same thing.

I can't help but hear the Dumb & Dumber quote in my head...

"Harry, you're alive! And you're a terrible shot..."

Well when the man fails to kill the women possibly at close range then thats one thing, but he failed to even kill himself. Wow that just fails in so many ways, probably laughed at everyday in prison.

Well when the man fails to kill the women possibly at close range then thats one thing, but he failed to even kill himself. Wow that just fails in so many ways, probably laughed at everyday in prison.

Probably because he was a ****in coward and was having second thoughts when he pointed the gun on himself after shooting his wife.

1_61_facetransplant1_320.jpg

Oh lord I'd hit it. Disfigured chicks are lonely, so they'll put out.

Guys it doesn't mean she'll have to look like this forever. As soon as her face heals she'll probably go under the knife again. They'd probably keep the face in tact when doing a transfer like that. Give it another 5 years and you'll probably only call her a butterface.

This practice is in the "experimental" phase right now. Once they perfect the technique of face transplanting they're going to start selling the procedure for thousands of dollars to people who feel insecure about the way they look.

People will be able to completely change the way they look.

Damn thats pretty incredible, where are the nano machines when you need them..

Culp's husband, Thomas, shot her in 2004, then turned the gun on himself. He went to prison for seven years.

i hope this doesnt mean he survived a shotgun blast also.

L2:sniper:

Honestly guys, no puns after an entire page? Face it, you're losing your touch.

wow, I'm surprised her teeth were intact, if that is really her photo.

Which honestly, to me, doesn't seem like it, since the extent shown there isn't as bad as her before image above.

We are talking about a different person Raz.

Back