World Exclusive Interview With Chuck Osborn (Info about Multiplayer)

Icarus

Reaction score
Today I was able to get a World Exclusive Interview with the man that reviewed Half-Life 2 first, Chuck Osborn from PCGamer. So let’s just get straight to it.

What was your reaction when you found out you would be the first to review Half-Life 2? It was a mixture of excitement and trepidation, because of the responsibility of being the first one to review it.

Was Half-Life 2 what you expected? More

Was it worth the wait? Absolutely

How long is the review? Nine pages, plus we have a four page story telling you what you need to know about running Half-Life 2 on your system.

Did it seem dated? Not at all.

Are there any spoilers in the review? There are some mild spoilers, because you can’t review it without giving away something. I say very clearly when to stop reading if you don’t want to know anything. If you read the entire review, there are a lot of surprises I don’t talk about, because I want you to be surprised. This is not a spoiler review.

Does it have multiplayer, if so what are they? Counter-Strike Source is the multiplayer.

Only CS:S, no Deathmatch? Only CS:S

Has it(CS:S) changed any from Beta? It’s what they say it’s going to be, but with a few surprises

Who did you get to play it with? Valve as well as playing in within our own offices

Did you get to play HL Source? Yes.

Can you tell me anything about HL:Source? Nope

Is it(HL:S) included in the review? Yes, it's discussed in a sidebar along with a few screenshots.

Anything you want to say the users before I go? I'm just glad I don't have to keep my playing Half-Life 2 a secret anymore! It was killing me. Trust me...you won't be disappointed.

©2004 Halflife2.net. Not to be reprinted or otherwise used without the express written permission from the author. He can be contacted at [email protected]

That sucks, only CS:S as multiplayer. :|

(Good job on the interview though)

Haha. Only CS:S. I demand my cookie for being right!

Oooh nice.

I can live with CS:S, with the pleasant thought of many awesome custom maps (and the standard maps are cool too)

Nice. :)

I'm not bothered about it only being CS: S Multiplayer to be honest. There will most likely be a deathmatch mod within a few days with the CS: S weapons strewn about anyway. :)

+ I want to know these supprises.... :p

**** sake? Counter-Strike the MP? Thanks anyway Icarus.

Oh well, it's not as if I played HLDM anyway. Still, a bit disappointing. Good interview though.

I wonder why he doesn't want to comment HL:S

Anyone remember back at E3 2003 when they said vehicles are included both in single-player and multi-player? To tell the truth I'm disappointed.

:bounce: :bounce:

Thank you so much Icarus...and of course, Chuck Osborn, for the interview.

I am so flippin happy that I am a PCGamer subscriber!

:thumbs:​

yay, i think that means that cs:s comes with the normal hl2 version as it says "hl2 in full and online content", quoted for some website, ill look for it and post/edit

rf

It isnt like regular HL Multiplayer was any good anyway... we didnt really need HL2 Multi.

Harryz said:
Anyone remember back at E3 2003 when they said vehicles are included both in single-player and multi-player? To tell the truth I'm disappointed.

Maybe its just me but I remember them saying that they "could" be in both. I.e its technically possible. At that stage I dont think they let on very much at all specifically... if anything.

Also, there might be vehicles in CS: S... Supprises remember...

Traditional Full Package
(Singleplayer & Multiplayer)

Estimated retail price: £34.99

This is the good old traditional package that is no different then the way the original game sold. You get everything you need - the singleplayer, multiplayer and you are able to download and play any modification you wish at no additional cost. The multiplayer is managed through Steam which is now fully integrated into the game and that too doesn't cost a penny. You pay one initial price for this game and nothing else after that.

It's very simple isn't it?

rf

"Was Half-Life 2 what you expected? More"

That's exactly what Mark Donald (PC Gamer UK) said as well.

bah, i'm disappointed that cs:s is the multiplayer. i was hoping valve would be smart enough to realize that not every half life player in the world loves CS. not to mention that they said that cs:s WOULDN'T be the multiplayer a few months ago......

Harryz said:

Well Chuck did say that CS:S is what VALVe has said it would be, but with a few surprises... I don't know of anything in my mind that would be more surprising than vehicles! But we'll have to see :p
Plus, if you are in the Beta and like it, and it has just been one "official" map we have been playing on, I can't imagine how great its going to be on other maps as well :bounce:

:cheers:

I guess they don't want Half-Life2 MP competing with Team Fortress2 which will be out a couple months after Half-Life2, and hopefully free to Half-Life2 buyers :D

Dissapointed CS:S is the only multiplayer option, but I can live with it. I'm sure deathmatch will appear sooner or later regardless. :)

Either Way, Sven Co-op 2 Will Come Out And Your Hl2 Multiplayer Needs Will Be Met. No Worries.
Fight The Combine With A Friend!

wheres neptunuek? he called us idiots for saying there was no HL2 theme mp.

kinda off topic but has anyone seen the US PC gamer review of HL2?? it should be out this week sometime.

NOOOOOoooooo!!!! Only Css NNOOOOOOooooo!!! :flame:

That is awsome about HL2 SP tho sounds like itll be worth the wait for us. :bounce:

im gutted theres no hl2 mp :( i was really looking forward to whatever it could have been. Now any hl2 mp will be fragmented into a million different mods.

Slightly disappointing that cs:S is the only mp shipping with the game, but really it doesn't matter - what other option is there, hldm:source? hmmm.... Just around the corner for mp is tfc and dod (hopefully), the engine is the key for multiplay! This game is all about the single player, any decent mp is a bonus imo.

Minerel said:
Either Way, Sven Co-op 2 Will Come Out And Your Hl2 Multiplayer Needs Will Be Met. No Worries.
Fight The Combine With A Friend!

Heheh, comments like this are making me lust this game once more...

Once sven co op is out we HAVE to have a server so we can play together. :)

dream431ca said:
kinda off topic but has anyone seen the US PC gamer review of HL2?? it should be out this week sometime.
No. I don't suppose that anyone has.
I am so anxious this whole week...just waiting for my PCGamer magazine to be in the mailbox...I can't wait!

Edit: Wait! I didn't check the mail today! OMG! I'll be right back.

The US Pc Gamer magazines come out late in the month. The next one should be out late next month(Like October 20th)

US PC Gamers already got there magazines like a week ago or should have anyway.
came with a Rome:Total War Demo Disk
UK comes out earlier in the month and wil be out this week(or should be)

SVEN CO-OP 2!!! It Redefined HL's Multiplayer, and it will redefine HL2's multiplayer.

plebs said:
Slightly disappointing that cs:S is the only mp shipping with the game, but really it doesn't matter - what other option is there, hldm:source? hmmm.... Just around the corner for mp is tfc and dod (hopefully), the engine is the key for multiplay! This game is all about the single player, any decent mp is a bonus imo.
i'm completely opposite. what i look for in a game is a good multiplayer, any good single player mode is a bonus :LOL:

i said a long time ago that i thought CS:S was the multi, based on the fact that ATI coupon holders got access to the beta. But now, if CS:S is the multi, and there is no HL:S, you bet i won't be buying a retail version.

Only question is, how do we get HL:S?

Vampire:the Masquerade : Bloodlines is looking way more attractive now....

bah cs blows for mp..

but since there are other mods in the pipe it's no biggie

Minerel said:
The US Pc Gamer magazines come out late in the month. The next one should be out late next month(Like October 20th)

US PC Gamers already got there magazines like a week ago or should have anyway.
came with a Rome:Total War Demo Disk
UK comes out earlier in the month and wil be out this week(or should be)

SVEN CO-OP 2!!! It Redefined HL's Multiplayer, and it will redefine HL2's multiplayer.

Actually, the US PC Gamer ships out to be subscribes this week. It may have already gone out. You'll see scans/hear of people getting it within the next couple of days.

Nice job in interview...but i am so disappointed if hl2s multiplayer really is going to be css and not hl2 dm.

DrunkPanda said:
bah, i'm disappointed that cs:s is the multiplayer. i was hoping valve would be smart enough to realize that not every half life player in the world loves CS. not to mention that they said that cs:s WOULDN'T be the multiplayer a few months ago......

"they"? who is "they", valve never said that, and i fail to see how anyone else could be thought of as a worthy source...

anyways, everyone (that isn't ignorant) has known for ages that cs:s is the multiplayer. althought that surprise does sound interesting...

SoSorry said:
I guess they don't want Half-Life2 MP competing with Team Fortress2 which will be out a couple months after Half-Life2, and hopefully free to Half-Life2 buyers :D

i find your blatant optimism obscene! ;)

Akilles said:
Nice job in interview...but i am so disappointed if hl2s multiplayer really is going to be css and not hl2 dm.
ya. i would love to get into barrel throwing battles with other people using manipulator

Back