worldedit, vmf, something, anything!

1nKoGn17o

Allright, this is kind of embarassing, but I'm trying to make a map here, and Hammer is being a nuisance. What I want to do is model out my map in Maya, then add in all the little triggers and doodads later.

Is there a way I can get my model, which I hope will become the level mesh, from Maya 7 into Hammer?

also, I've tried using XSI as a middle-man/conversion. Hammer did something weird where ot took the model out of the level.
Another thing that I tried, Exporting from Maya as an OBJ object by object - when I tried exporting it from Milkshape as a worldcraft .map file (which Hammer does in fact accept), Milkshape crashed halfway through the exprt.

You can make the map as a prop and then add it into the map. The biggest problems I can see with this is that you'll get improper lighting, and bad optimization since the whole thing will always be rendered.

Use hammer for the mapping. You could do it your way but I can sum up what your map is going to be like here and now in one word.

Lag.

Sorry.

Unarmed said:
Use hammer for the mapping. You could do it your way but I can sum up what your map is going to be like here and now in one word.

Lag.

Sorry.
If he succeeds in converting the model to brushes, it would be no different from mapping with Hammer except that a lot would probably be off the grid. Naturally, the best results are always attained by mapping with Hammer.

I have never heard much about the arcane magic of switching between Hammer and model formats. I would recommend asking the modelers, as they are probably more familiar with it, but personally I would doubt it can be done with desirable results.

You could, theoretically, split your model into several different pieces and use nodraw to get a decent VIS happening and preventing leaks. But... It'd be work work and more work.

If you're really so familiar with your modelling package that you want to do the whole map there, then that's great. Hammer isn't so difficult that learning to make the basic geometry should be too tough. Then you could compile the more detailed map parts (stairways, roof's, doorways, whatever) as models and put them into your map.

Using brushes is just the way maps are made, no way to get around it, I don't think. Valve maps use a lot of models for map details though, so just do the more complex details that way...

Back