Worth upgrading motherboard?

iamaelephant

Reaction score
Hey, here are my current specs:

Albatron KX600 pro
Athlon XP 2500+
1gb PC 2700 RAM
MSI Radeon 9800 pro

As my mobo is pretty much the cheapest one available, I'm wondering if upgrading my motherboard would give me a noticable performance increase, or not? Will a new motherboard allow me to overclock more? I'm looking at an Abit NF7-s, is this a good choice?

Thanks

a new mobo would help OCability yes and teh right one could give you some noticable performance increase. Just do some research on socket A mobos(thats what AXPs run on(right?)) and find which is best for you.

The Terminator said:
a new mobo would help OCability yes and teh right one could give you some noticable performance increase. Just do some research on socket A mobos(thats what AXPs run on(right?)) and find which is best for you.
yes but i doubt he would be able to overclock too far with PC2700 ram. If his ram was PC3200 and he had an Abit NF7 or Asus A7N8X-E with that 2500+ he could overclock to 3200+ speeds without a problem.

Screw it, I bit the bullet and invested in a K8N Neo Platinum motherboard with an AMD Athlon64 2800+, I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow :D

Can't wait now...

Ah no made a mistake I'm actually getting the Athlon 64 3000+. You and I will have almost identical systems (both have K8N mobo, MSI 9800 pro, Athlon 64 3000) except I have more RAM, but lower quality. How is you computer in modern games like Far Cry and Doom 3?

Back