Would a 6800 GT be a good upgrade for my system?

T

Titan8883

I am not completely up to date on the newest graphics cards, but from what I have seen it looks like the 6800 GT could be my next purchase. I was just wondering if you guys could lend your expertise and let me know if this is in fact a good upgrade for my system (no bottlenecks, etc.)

Specs:
Dell Dimension 8200 (never again!)
Intel P4 2.4 mhz
400mhz FSB
512 mb PC 800 RDRAM
Standard Dell Mobo
Standard Dell power supply (will this need an upgrade?)

I will be buying a new computer in about 2 years for grad school and selling off mine to my brother, so I wanted to get the most out of my games while I still actually have the time to play them!

Sorry to say bud, but I'm pretty sure that if you plan on upgrading your video card, it'll have to be a Dell video card, as I'm near positive their case are purposely made so that no third-party hardware can be installed.

I once tried to put a Radeon 9000 into a Dell Dimension and it wouldn't fit.

Then again, I could be wrong, so maybe you shouldn't wait for me.

Well, I currently have a Dell Dimension 8250, and I recently installed a Radeon 9800 PRO without a problem. It has been in for around 3 months. Besides for some minor driver problems, it fit into the case perfectly. Plus, Dell made it easy so you did not need screws to hold the card in place. It had these green clip things (can't really explain) and they held the card in there firmly.

Also, I hate this Dell. I just never liked Dell. They are pieces of shyte. I will never again buy a brand name computer unless it gives me the option of choosing EVERY damn part. :)

Malfunction said:
Sorry to say bud, but I'm pretty sure that if you plan on upgrading your video card, it'll have to be a Dell video card, as I'm near positive their case are purposely made so that no third-party hardware can be installed.

I once tried to put a Radeon 9000 into a Dell Dimension and it wouldn't fit.

Then again, I could be wrong, so maybe you shouldn't wait for me.
Does anyone know how long a 6800 GT is? I was thinking of getting the BFG Technologies - GeForce 6800 GT OC Graphics Card. Guess I will crack out my ruler... ;(

There isnt anything wrong with that 9800 pro as its a decent card! My suggestion would be so save your money and put it toward a new system next year. Probably the best thing to get would be an Nforce 4 with SLI with a single 6800gt class card in it. Then later on when you want to upgrade you can stick a second 6800gt in there for an extra performance increase.

Titan8883 said:
Does anyone know how long a 6800 GT is? I was thinking of getting the BFG Technologies - GeForce 6800 GT OC Graphics Card. Guess I will crack out my ruler... ;(

Hi, the 6800 GT 256MB is about 1 inch longer than any other Nvid card as i had to move my HDD pfff because of it lmao, then u have the Power dongle to that lenth as well hope this helps.

My friend got a dell with 2.4 ghz and he didn't even had a AGP slot on the motherboard so he needed to buy a new mobo, check if you got a AGP slot first.

O'Neill said:
My friend got a dell with 2.4 ghz and he didn't even had a AGP slot on the motherboard so he needed to buy a new mobo, check if you got a AGP slot first.
I do, my geforce 4 4600 Ti is in it right now...

I've been looking around today and generally speaking the 6800GT is an excellent choice at the moment. A sh@tload faster than a 4600 Ti...

Texter said:
I've been looking around today and generally speaking the 6800GT is an excellent choice at the moment. A sh@tload faster than a 4600 Ti...
I agree... I just didnt want to get it and then have it be bogged down by a system that can't keep up with it.

You'll need 512 megs of extra RAM then to avoid annoying disk access.

Texter said:
You'll need 512 megs of extra RAM then to avoid annoying disk access.
Do you mean on top of the 512 that I already have? If that is the case, then Im gonna hold off. RDRAM isn't cheap!

Back