x800 gt or x1600 pro

hneaz

Reaction score
Im planning to sell my 6600 gt on ebay since im tired of the 128 mb ram. im looking to buy an agp card that cost between $80 to $120. i scoped out 2 cards, x800 and the x1600. i dun mind buying the open box cards. which is better?

Are you talking about the X800GTO? didn't know there was a X800gt model.
The 6600GT is equal to or better than the X1600pro for the most part.

Edit: quick search led me to this review of the X800GT. It's basicly the same performance as the 6600gt but at times a bit better.
I don't see anything that says the extra memory is being taken advantage of here which is very typical of the cards in this price range.
A quick check on newegg shows all the cards in that price range are at or below your current performance. Money really is the answer if you want to get out of any performance pit you think you are in. Unless you can come by a card somehow for cheap. If there is any way to get your budget to $150 then you could pick up a 7600GS in AGP.

7600GS benchmarks Keep in mind the X1600XT (only available PCI-Express) in the review is a lot better than the X1600Pro.
Edit again! Here are better 7600GS benchmarks. Has the X1600Pro and 6600GT as well.
X800GT looks pretty good here But pretty mixed here.
Wonder if I can find a benchmark that shows the 7600GS vs the X800GT.

wow, thx Asus. the links helped alot.... i guess ill keep my card for now... maybe i should reformat my pc to get a better performance. its been driving me crazy recently....

If you got with a crossfire board the 1600xt would help you out as you are able to run 2 cards at once, but if you aren't going to do that you won't see much of a difference. Memory on the board will only help you in the texture quality.

6600gt to a x800gt wouldnt be noticeable at all. the best your could get is a x850xt or 7600gs for the price you stated.

wow, thx Asus. the links helped alot.... i guess ill keep my card for now... maybe i should reformat my pc to get a better performance. its been driving me crazy recently....

CTRL-ALT-DELETE

Go to processes, hit the CPU tab to show the programs using the most CPU and tell us what they are

I have mentioned this b4 but ill say it anyway.

I have a Athlon XP 3000+ thats running at 1.3 ghz, yes, 1.3 ghz, not 2.167 ghz. i have changed the multiplier to 133/166 mhz but my cpu still runs at 1.3 ghz. i went to the AMD forums and they said the same thing 'change the bus speed'. Nothing worked for me. This happened after i got a new psu and a gpu. i used my old psu and onboard gpu but still the same problem. my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu....

As for the processes, the cpu usage is at 7%. i reformatted my pc yesterday and its running ok. i dun want to install games.

there talking about the front side bus not the memory bus and are you sure you save them? also what psu did you get?

there talking about the front side bus not the memory bus and are you sure you save them? also what psu did you get?

it came with the case i got....prolly a Power Up brand. it works ok. as for the speed, i noe they were referring to the Front side bus, thats why i changed the mulitplier there.

13* 166 mhz = 2.167 ghz

what do u mean by 'save them'?

i have changed the multiplier to 133/166 mhz but my cpu still runs at 1.3 ghz. i went to the AMD forums and they said the same thing 'change the bus speed'.
:dozey:
13 is the multiplyer
100/133/166/200 are the possible front side bus speed options.
Athlon XP 3000+ = 13*166 = 2158Mhz
i noe they were referring to the Front side bus, thats why i changed the mulitplier there.
13* 166 mhz = 2.167 ghz
whew
We might be on the same page.

If you say it's running at 1300Mhz then what most likely happend is the FSB got reset.
100*13=1300MHz

Just make sure you set it to 166MHz and that the bios holds that value (save and exit option in bios). Use CPU-Z to check what it is running at in Windows. Picture FTW.

If it doesn't then there might be an issue that keeps it resetting (such as not enough power or error when booting such as a bad Overclock etc) OR you might have the clear-CMOS-jumper set incorrectly (if you didn't touch it then this is probably not the case) OR the battery on the board is weak so it isn't saving any settings (there is a 4 digit part number listed on the battery if you want to replace it). If this is all repeat, I apologize.

Back