X800 pro now or X800 XT later?

M

mray

Just wondering what you guys think i should do -
buy an X800 pro now or wait 1 to 2 months for X800 XT availability?

Do you really think their is a huge difference between the 2 besides the price?

Thanks!
-Mray-

Yes, a big difference. If you can afford the XT, and you have a card that is fine for now, I'd hold off. The XT is really good.

You could get an x800 pro and softmod it to 16 pipelines, but there were some requirements I'd have to find.

If you've got the patience and $$$, go with the X800 XT.

wait untill the last possible time before hl2 is released an then buy the xt if you have the money. no point in buying a pro just to use it for 2months when you could have bought a better card (and probably cheaper) later

Does the X800pro not do what you want now or in the future?
--
Would you actually use the difference between the X800 Pro and XT, for example increasing AA/AF levels?

Yes there is a difference and if it's worth 100$ is up you. It is a bigger difference than GT to Ultra. Why anyone would want to pay 100$ more for that performance difference is beyond me.

Not only the performance difference, but do you want to pay 100$ to have one of the fastest cards this year?

And then do you want to wait for availablity on the X800 XT PE?

If yes to all then wait and buy the X800XT PE, if you have the funds. ;)

mray, basically, if your cpu isn't faster than 3Ghz (3000+) than the difference between x800 pro and GT is neglible, since they're both (or atleast GT, i dunno if both are) hampered by your cpu.

If your processor is faster than 3Ghz, you'd see a bit of difference between gt and pro, though.

According to this link
http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/136/
which Champ has generously supplied us with, it seems the difference won't be more than 10, max 20 fps in lots/most games.

I'm defenitely going with x800 pro. :bounce:

A little headsup, AMDs named 3000+ aren't 3ghz. The A64 3000+ is only 2ghz, but it is somehow better, though I don't really know why.

better construction/instructions on teh AMD chips ;) and lots of technical garble which i dont have the patience to talk about now ;)

Andy

Malfunction said:
A little headsup, AMDs named 3000+ aren't 3ghz. The A64 3000+ is only 2ghz, but it is somehow better, though I don't really know why.

If you were warning me, yeah I know. the "3000+" is only there so people can compare the working speed of the AMDs to Pentiums, which are the "standard".
That's why I included the 3000+ in brackets, so as to say 3Ghz OR the amd equivalent...

It has to do with cache and stuff, I don't pretend to actually know why it's as fast...

:cheers:

Back