x800 pro or 9800 pro?

Reaction score
Well I'm debating on which one of these... 9800 pro is good for most games now by far and is still more bang for your buck at around $180-$200 while the x800 pro is around $410 and more than enough. What should I do?

Your...kidding right. X800 pro if you can of course. You'll be happy and wont haveta upgrade for a longer while then if you went with the 9800

What's your system you will be playing this on?

ahh good point asus i forgot. if your running on a piece of garbage i recommend the 9800 instead. if uve got a decent comp (2ghz) then go with the x800

Well see, there's a lot of other things I still want to buy as well and with that extra $200 I could do a lot. I'm a huge collector of Devil May Cry mem. and a huge collector of any and all Half-Life related mem. My system is a P4 2.6 gig w/ HT tech, gig of ram pc 3200 (unknown brand, haven't bothered to check) 9800 SE at the current moment, 350 w/ PSU, MSI Motherboard (unsure).

Things I still want to buy this summer: NZXT Guardian Computer case, new vid card (either x800 or 9800 pro) AEG AUG Airsoft Rifle, Devil May Cry Decanter and glass set, shirts, sword, etc. Half-Life 2 cap and promo shirt. All that together is around $600+ and that's why I'm having trouble debating about the card.

9800Pro - "I want to play HL2,Doom with high detail at 1024x768 and maybe some AF with solid FPS and have more money left over for other things I plan to buy."
X800Pro - "I want to play HL2,Doom with high detail, AF/AA at 1280X1024 with solid FPS and have less money for other things I plan to buy."

I'd go with the 9800. You can sell it 2nd hand for at least $100 for the next two years if you so deisre, and by the time you really need an x800 speed card to stay current, PCIe will have taken over, and the x800 will be old news. The 9800's are good cards - I say skip a card generation. But then again I'm relatively new to the game.

hey found the Xcalibur 9800 Pro for $240, not bad and it has really good cooling, downside is 2 slots are taken, oh well :)

i see it this way..ur already gonna spend 250 at least...y not just go all the way...and you know you want to ;)

guinny said:
ahh good point asus i forgot. if your running on a piece of garbage i recommend the 9800 instead. if uve got a decent comp (2ghz) then go with the x800

more like 2.5ghz + for a x800. there get to be huge drops of performance at below 2.4ghz and the x800.

poseyjmac said:
more like 2.5ghz + for a x800. there get to be huge drops of performance at below 2.4ghz and the x800.

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Pretty interesting. Oh well then 2.4 or above. Christ where are the good old days when a 486 was a beast of a machine? ;(

lol, sorry Guinny, a lot of us don't have the money to buy all the things you can afford (college student) AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Socket 939 | ASUS A8V Socket 939 Mofo | ATI Radeon X800 XT | 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM | 560 WATT Thermaltake PSU | Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound Card | WD Raptor 74GB HD 10,000 RPM | Logitech Z-5300 Speakers| Sony DVD-ROM 1x | Sony 52x62x52x CD-RW| Thermaltake Xaser III 7-Fan Chassis Obvious that #1 your older, career, have money or #2 Prep, mommy and daddy buy the best of the best. #3 Good kid, lotto

THATWACKYDANTE! said:
lol, sorry Guinny, a lot of us don't have the money to buy all the things you can afford (college student) AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Socket 939 | ASUS A8V Socket 939 Mofo | ATI Radeon X800 XT | 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM | 560 WATT Thermaltake PSU | Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound Card | WD Raptor 74GB HD 10,000 RPM | Logitech Z-5300 Speakers| Sony DVD-ROM 1x | Sony 52x62x52x CD-RW| Thermaltake Xaser III 7-Fan Chassis Obvious that #1 your older, career, have money or #2 Prep, mommy and daddy buy the best of the best. #3 Good kid, lotto

*cough* #2 *cough* ahem yeah the x800 isa lot better then the 9800 pro

well yeah I know but the 9800 pro can handle everything that's coming out for a while at a very acceptable and solid FPS as ASUS said (ASUS is the go to guy ;) ) while the x800 pro is damn near high end with a beyon solid fps (wtf ever that means...lol)

Actually it isn't just below 2.4GHz where it slows down. It's the sub system, FSB etc.
I believe the system in the benchmarks, that I've seen where it slowed down, were not the 800FSB Pentium 4's.

Since HL2 or Doom 3 aren't out yet, I am going to wait as long as I can before buying and hope (pray? ;)) that the price of the X800 Pro comes down to a more reasonable level.

Some of the benchmarks I've seen for Far Cry (probably a good indication of the future) with full AA/AF on show over 80% increase (100% being double) in frame rate going from a 9800 Pro (or XT, can't recall) up to an X800 Pro. Pretty dramatic difference, and what was worrisome was that the 9800 was dipping below 30 FPS under these conditions with a machine running over 3GHz. I think the X800 would be preferable if you like to crank up the image quality while having some longevity in your purchase. The problem for all of us is if you can afford it or not right now!

Well i don't have parents who have more money than sense - so ill have to work my ass off summer time to be able to afford anything. My dad did buy me a gig of Pc4000 ram recently bless him :cheers:

ok why are you being an ass dante? I was trying to help you you don't have to be a dick to me.

oopsmaster said:
Since HL2 or Doom 3 aren't out yet, I am going to wait as long as I can before buying and hope (pray? ;)) that the price of the X800 Pro comes down to a more reasonable level.

Some of the benchmarks I've seen for Far Cry (probably a good indication of the future) with full AA/AF on show over 80% increase (100% being double) in frame rate going from a 9800 Pro (or XT, can't recall) up to an X800 Pro. Pretty dramatic difference, and what was worrisome was that the 9800 was dipping below 30 FPS under these conditions with a machine running over 3GHz. I think the X800 would be preferable if you like to crank up the image quality while having some longevity in your purchase. The problem for all of us is if you can afford it or not right now!

I think the prices for the current X800 pro will go down after the pci-e versions hit the market.

:naughty: What about the X600 and the X300 cards?

ailevation said:
:naughty: What about the X600 and the X300 cards?

Yeah - I've read that the ??R420?? or the new chip is very scaleable and so the lower end cards are worth a look - you reckon the X600 will perform like a 9800pro? Any estimates on what price they'll be retailing at? Or maybe there isn't enough info to speculate....

bosox188 said:
I think the prices for the current X800 pro will go down after the pci-e versions hit the market.
Oh yes, I forgot about that. I admit I don't know much about PCI Express after hearing of its existance. Time to read up on it and see when it's due to come out then....

Hopefully it will be in time for HL2 so that it drives down the price of the "old crap"! :E

bosox188 said:
They actually probably won't. A 5200/9200 PCI or AGP card are the same price at a retail store. Actually the PCI is more at my store.
The reason I don't think they will go down is how many people have PCI Express boards to use the PCI Express cards? Ok now how many people have AGP boards to use the AGP Cards? Demand will be there just like between AGP and PCI with the 5200/9200 models.
I bet as long as the chip is the same the connections won't be priced different.

Back