XBOX 2 as hackable as the XBOX?

john121

Reaction score
everyone knows you can hack an xbox, make it into a linux server and whatnot. (IMO that's partially why they sold so many) do you think XBOX 2 will have the same capabilities?

(hoping Gates finally embraces the hacker community and releases the windows XP source code for us to make it a LOT better)

From what I hear Microsoft was not happy about people hacking the X-box. So I suspect they are planning on making the X-box 2 harder to hack.

john121 said:
(hoping Gates finally embraces the hacker community and releases the windows XP source code for us to make it a LOT better)

that really made me laugh.

but yeah, noone knows until it's released.

A linux server, hoally crap, I knew you could put games and stuff but a server is insane.

Adrien C said:
A linux server, hoally crap, I knew you could put games and stuff but a server is insane.
An insanely bad server. Well it depends.. but for most public purposes its really pretty useless. A bit underpowered, methinks.

Ha a hackable Xbox, what is with Microsoft and making programs and consoles to support hackers.

Blakeb155 said:
Ha a hackable Xbox, what is with Microsoft and making programs and consoles to support hackers.

They don't.

if programmers and hackers could make firefox from netscape (just look at the improvements) imagine what they could do to windows longhorn.... maybe an employee from microsoft could "accidentally" post the source code for XP or Longhorn (when it's finished) on a few P2P servers?

[sarcasm]Yes, because obviously the only thing that would happen if the winXP source code is released would be improvments..... There's no way that virii writers would ever be able to use that.... [/sarcasm]

I can forsee that with the Longhorn you will have a lot of people abusing that NGSCB/Pallidum code to delete your entire hard drive by fabricating a license server or faking a ticket.

Second, Microsoft is notorious for being hackable. Every damn Windows opperating system has bugs found daily - and exploits found at the same rate. Microsoft usualy takes the approach as to wait a year or so to patch it - and when people patch it, lets bundle in some extra stuff (service packs) that give us more control over the user's computers - and these "control" mechinisims - such as Digital Rights Management and Remote Procedure Call and DCOM tend to be rather unsecure if one knows how to exploit them and one does not disable unnecessary services (such as Intelligent Background Transfer Service).

Do some research into NGSCB/Pallidum and you will see what I am talking about. The possible abuses outweight the uses.

Back