xbox 360 arcade?

Reaction score
All right, now, I'll be honest here. I know nothing about consoles because I am purely a PC gamer.

This xbox 360 arcade thing, does it play other games like the Orange Box and such or does it just play the games it comes with?

I apologize for my stupidity, but I want to hear this information from credible sources, like you guys.

yeah you can play any 360 game on the arcade. The difference is the lack of a HDD, but the arcades come with 256mb memory card (the new ones have it integrated). You can buy add-ons to turn the arcade into a regular 360. (namely a HDD and the HDMI cable - i think)

All right, now, I'll be honest here. I know nothing about consoles because I am purely a PC gamer.

This xbox 360 arcade thing, does it play other games like the Orange Box and such or does it just play the games it comes with?

I apologize for my stupidity, but I want to hear this information from credible sources, like you guys.

HAHAHAHA!! Sorry mate you made my day

What lepobz said.

An arcade can play any 360 game.

It's advisable (but not necessary) to buy a hard drive add-on.

Supposedly the arcade versions dont even work now, since the new dashboard requires more space than the 256mb card has. So yeah, get the pro version or get a hard drive for your arcade version.

So the Arcades come with 256mb internally right? Enough to cover the NXE upgrade. But, if he wanted to get online and play games, most games usually get patched, wouldn't he need a memory card atleast? Which at that price range isn't worth it IMO. Last time i've checked $49.99 for 512mb. I dunno if you can use your own USB flash drive though.

Supposedly the arcade versions dont even work now, since the new dashboard requires more space than the 256mb card has. So yeah, get the pro version or get a hard drive for your arcade version.

No it doesnt.

if your planning on getting a xbox then you might as well buy a premium or an elite ;)
better memory, graphics etc...

The arcade only comes with SD compatibility, no?

Standard Definition, like HDTV and SDTV. Nvm about that though did a quick google search and the arcade indeed does have HD compatibility. The Core was the one that didn't have HD. The arcade still doesn't ship with an HD capable composite cable though, nor does it ship with an Ethernet cable, not that it will matter because the cables shipped with the Pro and Elite bundles and short as hell but, it also doesn't ship with a Headset, yeah NO HEADSET. WTF.

IMO might as well go for the 60 gig pro bundle at the least. Arcade is such a rip-off.

Would make sense to make a console that would be totally handicapped and just a bit cheaper compared to it's other edition with just extra storage space as the difference! Common sense, it's a bitch.

If you buy the arcade you can get the 20gb HDD for like 20e, check xbox.com.

Also the arcade come with HDMI socket, so the people saying it doesn't do HD are talking shit.

It doesn't come with the lead required to play HD through component, thats all.

Uhh, that'd be a pretty massive oversight, considering the 256mb internal memory was added just recently for (I think) the express purpose of facilitating the NXE update. :p If I recall correctly it's somewhere around 150mb all up.

The arcade will play any 360 game fine, it's just a (poorly named) bundle designed to be ready for arcade games. Which it isn't, because most of them now take up in excess of 100mb, with some of the more ridiculous ones using a few hundred (the arcade version of Portal is over 600, heh).

I'd really recommend you get the Pro bundle, as it's come down in price and it's really worth it for the hard drive. You're going to want one if you plan on downloading basically anything (arcade games, demos, movies etc.), and now with the NXE update you can install games to HDD which makes some of them run a bit faster. Also I believe just having a hard drive attached makes games run faster than without even if you don't install them, because it can like, cache stuff, or something.

But hey, if you don't care about any of that stuff, then arcade's probably for you. You're going to at least want to get a memory card, though, as saves take up a decent amount of space, and I wouldn't trust the internal memory to hold out for long with the NXE update hogging most of it.

Edit - Hey check me out I'm a Microsoft rep.

/me tattoos self with release dates then quits and joins EA.

Back