Xen Minibosses/Creatures...

B

Bad_Llama123

It seems Half-Life 2 is focusing more on pitting Gordon against the Combine than the forces of Xen. We have the Strider as a formidable miniboss, and we also have the Ant Lion Guard so far (which may or may not be of "miniboss" status).

I'm hoping to see a few more Xen creature minibosses. *Wishes the Garg makes a return* Can anybody confirm if the enemies page on this site has ALL of the enemies? Or is it leaving room for some surprises? :eek:

Not even just minibosses, but regular Xen enemies also... since it seems like there *should* be more, considering this IS Half-Life and it IS about aliens.

Curiosity got to me after reading about the loss of the beloved Hydra ;( I'll miss that blue tenticle of doom.

Nililath = last boss in hl1.

Bad_Llama123 said:
Can anybody confirm if the enemies page on this site has ALL of the enemies? Or is it leaving room for some surprises? :eek:
Are u serious, there are TONS of enemies that we haven't even heard about, u should know how tight lipped Valve is, they're not revealing half the enemies. :LOL:

Cheta said:
You mean you haven't seen the nililath pics?
That would be nihilanth I presume. Anyway, stop stirring, there are no pictures of him from HL2 or HL:S.

We really haven't seen many aliens in HL2: Headcrab, Zombies, Ant Lion, Ant Lion Guard and the slave. Valve said the barnacle was also going to be in the game, but no shots of them so far.

Any others that we know of?

I'm kind of disapointed that there seem to be so few and that HL2 is mostly fighting humanoids (read: combine), I mean, boring.

I heard they removed the Hydras :( Im guessing thoose where xen creatures as well?

kiwii said:
I heard they removed the Hydras :( Im guessing thoose where xen creatures as well?
I'm guessing no. They don't seem as they could live there.

I reaaaaaaally hope that the garg returns or the cooler creature, the tentacle... awwwwww.... *drool*

Since the Vortigaunts now seem to be allies, I think it's very possible that most or all of the more intelligent (i.e. not headcrabs, barnacles, bullsquids etc.) Xen aliens could be allies. It'd be pretty damn cool to have a friendly Garg fighting the Striders with you.

Or Controllers as aerial support, or Grunts as heavy armoured backup :E.

Icky (big shark thing) is in. And I saw some pictures of baby headcrabs so maybe gonarch/bigmomma/testicle of doom will also make a return.

I heard they removed the Hydras

Where did you hear this?

I heard there was over 48 different types of enemies in HL2 :p not sure if it is true thoguh

thund said:
Icky (big shark thing) is in. And I saw some pictures of baby headcrabs so maybe gonarch/bigmomma/testicle of doom will also make a return.

Where did you hear this?

A mod at this forum said it. I think it was in the rumor and speculation forums

Munro said it, very recently. And I was pretty certain there are no Rumours and Speculation forums any more.

They removed R&S presumably to stop rumours and speculation- didn't work though, did it? :LOL:

I still hope the hydra remains alive and well; just because it's a media blackspot with no major preload content in its name doesn't mean its gone, right? :eek: Looked pretty promising to me.

I can't even venture a guess as far as "minibosses" go; but I'd love to see the Garg again.

The Hydra is cut. Munro said so, and someone from VALVe posted on these very forums to confirm that he had a legitimate source. I don't really see any reason for Munro to lie about it, either.

Munro also said VALVe want it to be in HL3 now...

Man I sure hope we get to see a garg and a strider fight. Or a tentacle attack from underneath it.

well tbh, lets just wait and see. Personally i think the hydra is still in there...dont know why..just dont put all of your hard drives in one bay.. or eggs in one basket!! :afro:

Yeah, right, and if it is still there we can all call Munro, Chris_D and that guy from VALVe big liars...

You're not very bright, are you, DavE....

The hydra isn't there, no arguments

Yuh-huh. And for future reference, "Yeah, right" is the only double positive that makes a negative that I've ever encountered.

What about "kivo nomarri dro-mochot hiess"?

What do you mean, "that's not even English"?! Ingrates...

I refuse to give up hope; just because the creators said they took the Hydra out doesn't mean they cut it. Maybe... uh... they overlooked it. Yeah.

Bah. Wonder what else is in the videos but not the game; hope there's not too much they had to can due to time constraints. The Hydra was an enemy that I was particularily looking forward to (I mean, zombies and humanoid soldiers; seen them before...).

'Course, there's no doubt that there'll be plenty of extras; can't wait to see their tentacle equivalent (especially if it's literally a revamped tentacle :naughty:).

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until someone hacks the beta and put the hydra in their mod :smoking:

Well, the original HL's SDK and .paks contained unused critters; Kingping, Mr. Friendly, Archer fish, and the HW guy that Sweet Half-Life and Sven Co-op used, so I still wonder if the basics of the Hydra will be made available for modders.

Edcrab said:
Kingping, Mr. Friendly, Archer fish, and the HW guy

Hmm....

/digs out the HL SDK to have a look

edit: ah bugger, I take it the stress is on the 'original' - so it won't be in a later version? Bah

I wanna see that prowler thing, and the bullsquid, no shots of that either yet? Just two that come to mind.

thund said:
Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until someone hacks the beta and put the hydra in their mod :smoking:

Except that would be impossible, considering all there is of they hydra in the 'stolen release' is what was seen at e3. They were pre-animated sequences, both the hydra and the combine soldier attacked by it. Basically, the hydra (i.e. AI and such) isn't in the beta. There isn't even a full model. Just that tenticle. Or so I hear.

Edit: Plus, from some files I've seen that were in the HL2 preload, it would seem like the hydra was infact meant to be physically simulated. Anyway, I could be wrong here, but that could make sence, because the strider works based on IK calculations, doesn't it? Basically, it would pretty much be impossible to create a fully working hydra that didn't suck. Plus, I don't know if Valve would be too happy, considering they're adding it to HL3..

The Xens and rebels are allies fighting against combine troops.

The Bullsquid is confirmed.

hhmm, a Garg fighting a Strider. ow my. That would be hard to model and animate belevably and fluidly. i think.mainly as the Strider is a ranged attacker and Garg quite close. A Garg and Strider standing very close to each other and just shot at each other would'nt look to good, and ruin the 'imersity'. But i sure Valve wount put anything in there that doesent look good, and fluide, which would ruin the 'ilusion'

HL2 doesn't need striders. . .needs more cowbell.

Cowbell? Like a bell? On cows? I don't get it. Are they for the combine?

f0rked said:
Cowbell? Like a bell? On cows? I don't get it. Are they for the combine?

Yes exactly. . .. .

The combine will have to wear them, and with the whole concept of us knowing where they are, and them walking around like livestock. . .

Let the slaughter begin!!!

spaz1 said:
The Xens and rebels are allies fighting against combine troops.

wrong, only the vortigaurts (alien slaves), becasue some were freed from slavedom.

f0rked said:
Except that would be impossible, considering all there is of they hydra in the 'stolen release' is what was seen at e3. They were pre-animated sequences, both the hydra and the combine soldier attacked by it. Basically, the hydra (i.e. AI and such) isn't in the beta. There isn't even a full model. Just that tenticle. Or so I hear.

Edit: Plus, from some files I've seen that were in the HL2 preload, it would seem like the hydra was infact meant to be physically simulated. Anyway, I could be wrong here, but that could make sence, because the strider works based on IK calculations, doesn't it? Basically, it would pretty much be impossible to create a fully working hydra that didn't suck. Plus, I don't know if Valve would be too happy, considering they're adding it to HL3..

Well, a mod team could just the to finish off what was in the beta. Maybe check out any concept art floating around and take that into account. I even have a suspicion if the monster is in a half finished state, valve would just leave it in the game (but you wouldn't see it in any maps). Rather like some of the half-finished monsters from HL1.

The ultimate SP or coop mod, IMO, would recreate all the 'lost monsters' (unless they were completely retarded ideas). Let's make a quick list...

From the HL1 models folder:

chumtoad
archer
friendly
kingpin
stukabat
floater (looks like a baby controller)
snap bug
snark nest (the snark ammo pickup) that walks!!! (check the animations)
There may be others here that I don't remember...

From the HL1 SDK models folder:

panthereye/diablo (I think they are the same thing)
charger (weird chicken-like monster)
HWgrunt
Robogrunt even though that was just a stupid replacement for normal grunt for the gay censored german version.

Ones I have only seen in concept art:

dog or wolf-like thing (a monster which was supposed to help you I think)

Hmm, I should save this list I think. If anyone can tell me ones I have missed out, I will try and add them to the list.

The wolflike thing is the "Fast Walker", IIRC...

Hold on... here he is... he was supposed to help the player.

Phat-t said:
wrong, only the vortigaurts (alien slaves), becasue some were freed from slavedom.

Don't know the details... :dozey:

Brian Damage said:
The wolflike thing is the "Fast Walker", IIRC...

Hold on... here he is... he was supposed to help the player.

:thumbs: Yeah that's the one. Looks more like some kind of amphibian actually.

Back