XP Service Pack 2 Now Available

Azrael.

Reaction score
I just saw over at FilePlanet that Service Pack 2 is now officially available. It doesn't look like they have released it on Microsoft's page, but I assume they will do so shortly.

Anyone tried it out yet? Noticeable improvements? Any errors?

What?! ITS OUT! wee! Imma gonna find it!

its not on their site yet because they dont want a huge rush to get it

Oh, well, I've heard some nasty rumors about it, and since I haven't read up on it (I know, I'm a bad Windows-er) I'd like to ask:
Does SP2 shut down your internet during install?
Install its own firewall?
Check for pirated software?
If so, I believe many people will be passing up the opportunity to install this update :)
This might help answer others' questions too, so all answers are appreciated.

slicktick said:
anybody have a non-fileplanet link?

amen to that, **** 3rd party. dont give a **** if its the presidents website promothign it.

OMFG!
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2.

ya sure. So, I'll wait a week to do it on Automatic updates. Sure I will.
Nubs. Owned their asses

Well, I had the beta and yes you will need to have a legal CD-key. Unless you use the CD-key generator long enough. You may find a good working key.
The beta's didn't check for illegal software.

SP2 is the best upgrade for windows ever. I 100% support it in almost everyway. Oh, quit listening to some 10 year old kid that is making shit up about it.

yeah sp2 is great. great firewall, more security, better wireless networking setup etc

didn't they say SP2 wouldn't check for cd keys because they wanted the pirated versions to have it too ? (or something like that)

Slipstreamed my cds for it, and I had a noticably faster computer after formatting it with it and installing everything. Great SP, and as far as I know it doesnt look for anything illegal other then cd keys.

is that thing worth the download?
just wondering because i'd been hearing so many negative things about it..
wouldn't want to download it, install and then find out it sucks.. then find ways to get that thing un-installed.. :|

Hmmm, nothing much new. I was already as protected before as I am now after the update. :|

I'm sure there's new stuff behind the scenese though.

PS. It is pretty neat how it sees that AVG isn't up-to-date. :thumbs:

i've read a few thigns about people... ahem... loosing thier comps, when installing it...

SP2 is a good tool for 99% of users that have no real clue about security from hackers and virus protection, but for the other 1% (that i'd have hoped would include most of you) should already have measures in place (properly configured hardware and/or software firewalls) and regularly updated real-time virus scanners.

Hopefully with the other 99% using SP2, worms like Blaster will be a thing of the past.

My other two machines updated themselves to SP2 almost a week ago, but for some reason this one hasn't updated yet :( And it's the only one I wanted SP2 for.

i installed it and boy did it **** my comp up. i have my videocard soft modded. so to tell you form there. it didnt like that. my screens was filled with black and gray boxes and lines. style xp wouldnt work. so i goto uninstall this. now i noticed that it ate up a significant amourt of my partion for windows. seeing that i only had 1 gig left when is started the install. i went to uninstall it. i didnt have enough room to unistall. how ironic, i think i can use irony here. so i can properly read stuff i reinstall a regualr video driver and restart. no such luck. my computer crashed doing this. so i try once more and it work with drivers installed but only 8 bit color and a refreash rate i could almost count on my fingers and toes. so i delete and move some file to get it to unistall adn it does. my opinion im not touching sp2. not worth almost losing my stuff over.

thanks bill gates. you almost made me think you fried my vid card

Revisedsoul said:
i installed it and boy did it **** my comp up. i have my videocard soft modded. so to tell you form there. it didnt like that. my screens was filled with black and gray boxes and lines. style xp wouldnt work. so i goto uninstall this. now i noticed that it ate up a significant amourt of my partion for windows. seeing that i only had 1 gig left when is started the install. i went to uninstall it. i didnt have enough room to unistall. how ironic, i think i can use irony here. so i can properly read stuff i reinstall a regualr video driver and restart. no such luck. my computer crashed doing this. so i try once more and it work with drivers installed but only 8 bit color and a refreash rate i could almost count on my fingers and toes. so i delete and move some file to get it to unistall adn it does. my opinion im not touching sp2. not worth almost losing my stuff over.

thanks bill gates. you almost made me think you fried my vid card

pop your windows disk in there and re-insall,. You can do with w/o reformating, all you'll loose is your shotcuts and registry entries, so you might want to back upo your registry beforehand.

Its best to slipstream it, it causes alot less problems that way...thats what I did :D

I don't know what the hell "slipstream" means but I agree that you should format.

simmo said:
Its best to slipstream it, it causes alot less problems that way...thats what I did :D

I'm unfamiliar with that term. Care to explain ?

Just to let anyone who's not got it know that it's now officially available on the microsoft site here.

Edit: Oh... Just realised it was already mentioned on page one. My bad.

Well I installed it, and now I can play CZ in AGP mode (before it would crash).

So yay, no more rebooting the computer just to play CS.

I already have the Release Candidate that came with dx9.0c, so do I really need to download the official one? I really don't like some of the new security features, I've already got a firewall and virus scanner and I hate it when IE blocks files from downloading.

I've read through the list of features and I don't think I'll bother with it. My security is fine, I see no advantage to downloading it.

Back