XSI valve biped rigging issues (hand related?)

Shinobi

Tank
Reaction score
hey guys, sorry if this is super noobish question, but weighting, animating and XSI are not my forte's

here is the rip from my post on the verc forums

ey guys, I've recently been trying to get a character working in HL2DM and it's overall gone pretty well.

I've been using the source wiki tutorial here

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Rigging_your_Custom_Character

I've never used XSI before so I did a few practice runs to get used to the interface and hotkeys. I used the valve biped and aligned the hands very roughly. The results were perfect for the rough job I did (mainly just using the base set envelope command with a little weight painting)....

After I got used to weighting with XSI I restarted
with a new valve biped... The main thing was aligning the valve biped hands to my models hands.....

I went to compile it after doing a compile with the hands more oriented in place with the model. Suddenly the character had HUGE weighting errors.. it was stretching in all directions. I wasn't sure at first the cause of this problem but I did notice something odd with the valve biped guide: The right hand end controller (ValveGuide.RHandEnd) seemed to not be parented to the finger bones while the left hand controller (ValveGuide.LHandEnd) was. I'm not totally sure whether this is the cause of the error but this does seem to be the most noticable oddity between the working rig and broken rig (since in the test rig I never touched the hand controllers).

here's some pictures of the 2 hand controllers.. I will recompile the working model & non-working model to show you the difference that occurs between the models with manipulated/non-manipulated hand controllers

notice fingers move with hand controller
rigproblem1.jpg

fingers do not move with controller
rigproblem2.jpg

here are pics of the model with manipulated hands and non-manipulated hands

rigproblem3.jpg

rigproblem4.jpg

Back