XviD-version of the e3 fulldemo: audio/video asynchronous (*fixed*)

B

BigBen

filename: hl2_fulldemo_e32004.avi.zip
it is the 380mb XviD-compressed version of the 665mb e3 fulldemo which is original in quicktime-format.

sorry, i did a mistake but retrofitter send me a solution, THANKS! i want to show you the steps to fix this problem in a few minutes.
---
we just have to change the original framerate of 29.970 to 29.899fps.
1. first download the free program virtualdub. you can find a few mirrors HERE to get the 665kb small file .

2. extract the file with winzip, rar, winace ... whatever you like.

3. change to the directory of virtualdub and run the "VirtualDub.exe".

4. File -> Open video file..., now browse to the "hl2_fulldemo_e32004.avi" and select it. close the windows with a click on the "open"-button. the video should be loaded (the first frame is black. you can see a logo of gamespy in the lower right corner).

5. go to Video and select Direct stream copy. then virtual dub doesn't compress the video again. the quality doesn't change!

6. now Video -> Frame Rate.... in the first block of this window (Source rate adjustment) select the third option (Change so video and audio durations match (29.899 fps)). close the windows with a click on OK.

7. last step :) File -> Save as AVI..., the name of the fixed file must be another then the source file. (that's important because virtualdub couldn't write in the source file when it is open for read). close the window with a click on save, wait a few minutes, finished.
---
I have made the description very in detail, so that to you can fix it at first attempt without problems. if you have still any questions, I help gladly:) thanks goes to retrofitter!

i have uploaded the fixed file: http://www.planethl2.net/patches.php?release_id=93

Thanks for the video, downloading now :)
I've a very slow internet connection so a smaller file to download is always welcome :D

Good instructions, just getting last "5 of the vid now so ill run the fix first.

Woohoo, cheers mate :)
Now I can watch it on my telly with xbmc without the annoying sync problem.

Excellent! I thought it was an issue with my computer...It definitely throws off the coolness of the lipsyncing work that Valve did if you don't hear them until 5 seconds later!

Thanks!

Use winrar (assuming you meen the zip file)

BigBen said:
filename: hl2_fulldemo_e32004.avi.zip
it is the 380mb XviD-compressed version of the 665mb e3 fulldemo which is original in quicktime-format.

sorry, i did a mistake but retrofitter send me a solution, THANKS! i want to show you the steps to fix this problem in a few minutes.
---
we just have to change the original framerate of 29.970 to 29.899fps.
1. first download the free program virtualdub. you can find a few mirrors HERE to get the 665kb small file .

2. extract the file with winzip, rar, winace ... whatever you like.

3. change to the directory of virtualdub and run the "VirtualDub.exe".

4. File -> Open video file..., now browse to the "hl2_fulldemo_e32004.avi" and select it. close the windows with a click on the "open"-button. the video should be loaded (the first frame is black. you can see a logo of gamespy in the lower right corner).

5. go to Video and select Direct stream copy. then virtual dub doesn't compress the video again. the quality doesn't change!

6. now Video -> Frame Rate.... in the first block of this window (Source rate adjustment) select the third option (Change so video and audio durations match (29.899 fps)). close the windows with a click on OK.

7. last step :) File -> Save as AVI..., the name of the fixed file must be another then the source file. (that's important because virtualdub couldn't write in the source file when it is open for read). close the window with a click on save, wait a few minutes, finished.
---
I have made the description very in detail, so that to you can fix it at first attempt without problems. if you have still any questions, I help gladly:) thanks goes to retrofitter!

i have uploaded the fixed file: http://www.planethl2.net/patches.php?release_id=93

Thank you very much BigBen, you are a great help! The sound out of sync was making me go insane!

yay! I starteh the download when this thread was posted, and I just finished watching the vid. I despise dial-up internet, but loved the vid! thanks!

! C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\My Documents\Robert\Games\hl2_fulldemo_e32004.avi.zip: Either multipart or corrupt ZIP archive

happy birthday to me

Thanks, BigBen! That out-of-sync thing was driving me nuts, I hope this works! You've been really helpful with all the e3 stuff, good job!

Yep, just finished downloading and... "The file is corrupt".
Why did you zip it anyway? Compressed AVI's don't compress too well (if at all), it's like zipping an mp3... oh, #@%$ :(

actually, .avi was originally the extension for an uncompressed video stream, a string of bitmaps. The DivX and Xvid codecs don't change the extension, and due to their popularity, everyone's forgotten what an .avi originally was.

Plus, zipping that video saved me 50 megs.

Is there any way to avoid zip files being downloaded corrupt? I'm using GetRight and it's impossible for me to download such a big file in one session... I have to use the 'resume' feature.

I use lightning download. It's expired so it doesn't search for mirrors, but on a dialup, it takes more bandwidth to search for mirrors than it does to download the damn thing from one server. So it works fine. Just set it going and minimize it to the system tray and forget about it overnight. That's what I did for this one.

"Cannot detect file type C:\Movies\Trailers\hl2_fulldemo_e32004.mov"

I got this message when trying to open the file with the VirtualDub program you talked about :/

Does Lightning Download have a Speed Limit feature like GetRight, so I could download the file @ 6KB/s and still browse the web?

Przemek said:
Does Lightning Download have a Speed Limit feature like GetRight, so I could download the file @ 6KB/s and still browse the web?

Yeah I had a similar problem, it exceeded the frickin' file size and kept on d/ling, then it wouldn't let me connect to the server, go figure. I had to start the entire thing again, and it seems no one has found a solution to the problem.

windows/winrar refuse to extract the file on account of it being corrupt. so your fix won't work for me - unless i'm overlooking something basic.

Beanhacker said:
windows/winrar refuse to extract the file on account of it being corrupt. so your fix won't work for me - unless i'm overlooking something basic.

Ahum...

This thread is

D E A D

Please let it die in peace.

Lots of threads getting rehashed lately, everyone bored or what?

p.s. just get the quicktime video, that'll solve all your problems. Get Quicktime alternative so you don't have to install quicktime and you can play it in mediaplayer

Back