You can drop a cat from the Eiffel tower and it will survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSomeone

Reaction score
Yup.

A cat's terminal speed (the fastest it can fall due to air resistance) is about 60 mph, and it can land from that. So no matter how high you are, the cat might get slightly injured, but unless it's obese it'll live.

I told that to my friends at school and most of them are kind slow.

"Youre hella retarded, a cat wouldn't survive"
"Yes, it can only fall at a certain speed, and it can land from that speed, so why would it make a difference if he fell from 10m or 200m"
"CUZ ITS A LOT HIGHER STOOPID"

No, you see, the height doesn't kill whatever's falling, the speed at which it crashes into the ground kills it. We, unfortuneatly, cannot land skillfully like cats, and have about triple the terminal speed.

As a matter of fact, they did studies on cases of cats falling out of high rise buildings, and 95% of cats land safely from 7 or more stories. The percentage getting higher and higher as the stories go up (because the cats have time to recover from the fear they get of falling).

I'd bet you $60 that it's BS, but I have no cat. I could take a trip to Paris though, so if anybody's willing to lend...

Wow... thats pretty awesome. Didn't know this. Another random fact for me to keep locked away in my head ^_^

/me gets reincarnated as a cat and jumps off lots of buildings...

It's not BS, I derived it myself to test it out using quantum physics. It's really easy if you know any physics.

That's really interesting! Any videos? It'll be cool if science developed a way for humans to fall from that kind of height and survive.

TheSomeone said:
It's not BS, I derived it myself to test it out using quantum physics. It's really easy if you know any physics.

Quantum physics eh...

Riiiight.

Why not save yourself the pain and throw nextdoor neighbours pet off a high building? :p

TheSomeone said:
But its just a theory, and theories have been wrong before. Plus, you're counting on the cat landing on its feet.

are you sure this isn't another .9999...=white shoe?

TheSomeone said:

Yeah like we're going to believe you... :rolleyes:

You and Solaris fit together well, maybe you two could be a couple.

I'd love to see you drop a cat from atop of the tower and see it "not" die. Until then, its bullshit it will die.

Cat landing on its head at 60 mph = survival?

I think not.

I would like to see the sources for those experiments you talked about. It would be interesting to say the least.

It's possible for a human to land safely on relativley hard ground from any height if they go about it properly.
Well i could at least, just bend my knees at the right time and i'd be fine.

Prince of China said:
That's really interesting! Any videos? It'll be cool if science developed a way for humans to fall from that kind of height and survive.

"Parachute."

Do you mean to say that I am invincible?

short recoil said:
It's possible for a human to land safely on relativley hard ground from any height if they go about it properly.

God I was waiting for you to come in this thread :D

Anyway, this theory does seem interesting and possible...but I need proof.

short recoil said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have any sources?

One part of this is bs at least. We don't have a higher terminal speed than cats. All objects of similar form factor have the same terminal velocity. Weight doesn't make a difference. If what you're saying it true, then a cat would survive falling out of a high-altitude plane as well. Are you suggesting that too?

SixThree said:
Do you mean to say that I am invincible?
Why, are you a cat?

anyway, this seems like an appropriate time to relate a story...
My friend's cat was on a table, and my friend brushed the cat off. the cat goes flying through an open door, and hits the bars on a second story balconey. My friend was all like "oh crap" and all but the cat was fine. The cat stretched, then started, I dunnno, itching itself on the bars of the railing. It goes between the bars, falls two storeys, and lands on its head. It promptly snuffed it.

The moral of the story is, if any guy wishes to conduct experiments involving cats being flung from high places, make sure the cat isn't dumb.

FFS folks. Cats always land on their feet. Even if you drop it from an 2 or 3 inches off the ground, it's able to twist and land (yes, I've tried it). So yes, it will land on its feet. If it can survive a 60 mph impact, then yes, it would survive falling off the Eiffel tower, the Petronas Towers, or any other tall building.

pomegranate said:
One part of this is bs at least. We don't have a higher terminal speed than cats. All objects of similar form factor have the same terminal velocity. Weight doesn't make a difference. If what you're saying it true, then a cat would survive falling out of a high-altitude plane as well. Are you suggesting that too?
A cat has less density.......weight does have something to do with it if you are considering air resistance.

A cat is a spindly body covered in a massive layer of fur.

We are bit fat lumps with no fur, we do fall a lot quicker.

Nat Turner said:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have any sources?
I was taking the piss, however there have been some cases of people surviving free fall from planes and stuff, usually involving "sacraficial limb" i.e their bones broke and reduced some energy.
I'd imagine you'd be pretty winded tho :LOL:

short recoil said:
I ****ing love you. You're the best. xD

Next experiment...drop a cat out of an airplane.

It would probally freeze before it hits the ground...

pomegranate said:

Take a normal parachute. Add a person to it and they land safely. Add 1000 people to it and they don't land safely.

pomegranate said:
One part of this is bs at least. We don't have a higher terminal speed than cats. All objects of similar form factor have the same terminal velocity. Weight doesn't make a difference.

No, you're wrong.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Yeah like we're going to believe you... :rolleyes:

It's one thing to call me stupid and a liar, it's another to speak for yourself but using "we" and calling me stupid and a liar.

You're a douche.

pomegranate said:

Hum, I'm sorry but you're stupid. Of course weight matters, it's what accelerates us downwards.

And to all the retards who wouldn't beleive I derived it myself, SEE ABOVE.

short recoil said:

Hopefully that was a joke because:

1. You don't even know how to land from heights (you need to perform a landing roll, and to do that you need to be profficient in doing them so as not to break your spine, elbows, head, or hip bones.)
2. No one lands from 130 mph safely, that's just retarded to think it possible.

Remember the smaller the animal the more scale strength it has.
This is simply due to molecular scaling equivalents.

A cat can withstand more scale impact than us and a mouse can stand more than a cat....and a beetle, well throw one across the garden and it'll be fine.

But I could kick the living shit out of any beetle. All you beetles reading this, I challenge you to a fight.

^ Good point. My physics teacher explained that to me at one point it's something about volume being in cube units.

I would like to know how the woman survived the 10,000 foot freefall into concrete.

Where is that derivation you were talking about? I see it nowhere.

MiccyNarc said:
I would like to know how the woman survived the 10,000 foot freefall into concrete.

H4x.

TheSomeone said:
Hopefully that was a joke because:

1. You don't even know how to land from heights (you need to perform a landing roll, and to do that you need to be profficient in doing them so as not to break your spine, elbows, head, or hip bones.)
2. No one lands from 130 mph safely, that's just retarded to think it possible.
Of course it was a joke, i can't believe for a momment you thought i was serious.

The reason for this is that cats have loose skin under its legs. When it falls from a great height it has time to stretch out its legs, and the skin between its legs and abdomen cause more drag, which slows the cat down. Weight, size, density, none of these have any effect on acceleration due to gravity. The only thing that slows an object down is the air resistance. Also, the reason they don’t survive when falling slightly less than 7 stories is the fact that they don’t have time to stretch out their legs.

There have been a number of incidences when men have jumped from a plane and their parachutes haven’t opened and they survived hitting the ground. It all depends on how you fall (arms and legs out rather than swan diving), how you land (flat, preferably on your back as the body tends to bend upwards at the waist), and where you land (a large farm compost heap or a snowy forest are the 2 incidences that spring to mind).

Dosen't surprise me. I have known for a long time now that most insects (flightless of course) could survive falling from pretty much any height assuming the winds didn't screw them over by making them land in the water or something. I just never looked into how other animals might fare.

PickledGecko said:
The reason for this is that cats have loose skin under its legs. When it falls from a great height it has time to stretch out its legs, and the skin between its legs and abdomen cause more drag, which slows the cat down. Weight, size, density, none of these have any effect on acceleration due to gravity. The only thing that slows an object down is the air resistance. Also, the reason they don’t survive when falling slightly less than 7 stories is the fact that they don’t have time to stretch out their legs.

There have been a number of incidences when men have jumped from a plane and their parachutes haven’t opened and they survived hitting the ground. It all depends on how you fall (arms and legs out rather than swan diving), how you land (flat, preferably on your back as the body tends to bend upwards at the waist), and where you land (a large farm compost heap or a snowy forest are the 2 incidences that spring to mind).

Negatory, objects have differing terminal velocities depending of a variety of things, air resistance being one of them which is a result of the total surface area of the object that is falling. Which is why a flat piece of paper falls slower than a crumpled up piece of paper.

Anyways, ever see a bowling ball dropped at the same time as a tennis ball from a 5 storey building? Guess which one hits first.

TheSomeone said:
Hum, I'm sorry but you're stupid. Of course weight matters, it's what accelerates us downwards.

And to all the retards who wouldn't beleive I derived it myself, SEE ABOVE.

Actually weight doesn't matter. Gravity pulls everything downward at a rate of 9.8m/s/s. Weight comes into play with the air resistance of the cats fur. The more the cat weighs the less the air resistance of the fur will help it.

JNightshade said:
But I could kick the living shit out of any beetle. All you beetles reading this, I challenge you to a fight.
Heh....not when they bring there buddies. Your gonna get eaten by thousands of flesh burrowing beatles! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back