Your experiences with external Hard Drives, how are they?

Gray Fox

Reaction score
Lets say I bought this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136023
Would that work for every day use, or would the USB connection be to slow, would it only be useful for storage. What about if I bough a drive with a Firewire connection? Could I comfortably play games, and watch movies from it?

I currently have a 120 GB maxtor 7200 rpm ATA drive, how would that external usb 2 drive compare to what I have now performance wise.

I do not want to buy an internal drive because my PSU probably could not handle another one, although if drives are not that power hungry I might give it a shot, I do not have enough money to buy a good quality new PSU,and I do not want to trow the old drive away, thats 120 gigs that might have been used for quality entertainment.

I have an external enclosure with an old 30gig in it. Havent had any problems yet.
Their great for storage, but I dunno if you'd want to play games off it, at least not any games made in the past 5 years.

I bought an external hard drive enclosure and put a 120GB drive in there. It's been great. The USB2.0 connection is a tad of a bottleneck so I avoid installing games there but for music, video, general files its fine.

The small IDE cable broke once and a larger one didn't work properly. Because of the way they did returns I ended up with a brand new unit :D.

I have an off-brand 400gb external hard drive (samsung drive inside) and it works great for saving large files (video recordings if what I use it for). The USB connection is a little slower than a regular hard drive.

Also you have to be aware of what speed port you are plugging it into. A USB 2.0 port has a theoretical speed of 480mbps yet a USB 1.1 port only can do 12mbps. And most USB ports on the front of cases, extra ports on keyboards and LCD monitors are USB 1.1.

just buy a cheap IDE HD and a decent external enclosure for 30 bucks....thats what did - works great.

just buy a cheap IDE HD and a decent external enclosure for 30 bucks....thats what did - works great.

Some of the externals out there can actually come out cheaper than buying an enclosure and poping an internal hard drive in there.

ive had my external for almost 2 years now. its a 120 gig western digital. its saved my life. all my precious invaluable pictures/music/videos all get backed up daily and im ready for the worst case scenario

You can get external SATA hard drives now - shouldn't those be quick?

It doesn't say specifically if it is Full Speed or Hi Speed cable but I would guess that it is Hi Speed. I doubt they would give you a slow cable. Internal IDE hard drives never come with a ATA100 cable, they always come with the faster ATA133 cable (just an example).

You can get external SATA hard drives now - shouldn't those be quick?
Although you could only plug it into a PC with an external SATA port...basicly your machine. I don't know anyone who has those even though they are out on the market.

I've got one of those USB2 HDD enclosure cases that convert any ATA drive to an external drive. I dropped a 120GB western digital in there, and it's got backups from all of my home machines on it. I wouldn't use it for everyday use, but it's fast and reliable for backups and the extra peace of mind.

Back